1971 Dallas Chaparrals

Marty

I played basketball in high school for Gene Phillips in the early 90s. He played for the Chaparrals a few years after getting drafted by the Bucks. I believe he still has the scoring average record for SMU, scored 30+ 24 times and had the SWC record with 51 in one game. He was an unbelievable shooter. He loved for his teams to shoot the ball too....he was ahead of the current trend. 

Fun fact....he coached one of our JV games one year when I was an underclassman. We hit 19 three pointers in that game...I never will forget that. Everyone on the team had at least one 3-pointer except for one player, and we kept feeding him the ball at the end of the game...but he couldn't knock one down.

• Upvote 1

On 6/8/2020 at 10:50 AM, UNTLifer said:

Remember watching them play a pre-season game at the old Snake Pit.

I was there too. And, saw quite a few regular season Chaps games. They were fun!

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 6/12/2020 at 11:42 AM, TheColonyEagle said:

.I never will forget that. Everyone on the team had at least one 3-pointer except for one player, and we kept feeding him the ball at the end of the game...but he couldn't knock one down.

That was me (not literally) in REC Ball while a grad student at OSU.  I was the team coach, but did not want to play...I was and still am terrible at basketball, but got drafted to play as we needed players from time to time due to some team members having to miss a game or two.  The team itself did pretty well...I attribute it to my excellent coaching of course...but, in the two years the team existed I scored a grand total of ZERO POINTS...ZERO...even missed my free throws.  The team fed me the ball all game long the last game in year two...and I clunked every one.  I think it still might be a Stillwater rec league record...you know...it could be tied but never beaten.  Ha!

• Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1