The New York Times Is A Joke

quite literally, in the course of less than a month the same people have gone from protesting government over-reach to advocating a military interventionist police state. 

invoking the Insurrection Act in response to demonstrations around institutional brutality is at best dangerous...at worst it is meant to be further divisive and put to the streets the us vs. them mentality we've mostly only seen played out through policy and social media argument.

deploying the military is basically asking to personify the Pie Forum.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 6

14 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

quite literally, in the course of less than a month the same people have gone from protesting government over-reach to advocating a military interventionist police state.

invoking the Insurrection Act in response to demonstrations around institutional brutality is at best dangerous...at worst it is meant to be further divisive and put to the streets the us vs. them mentality we've mostly only seen played out through policy and social media argument.

Johnson used it for the same reasons as Trump as did H.W. Bush and we seem to have survived those times just fine. What is dangerous and mind boggling is that a month ago these same Governors were arresting people for walking on a beach and now they are standing by while their communities are being destroyed. 

Regarding the area in bold, this couldn't be further from the truth.  Nobody is advocating a "military interventionist state," but we are advocating for a stop to the destruction of property, theft, graffiti, murder, assaults, etc... that have nothing to do with the Constitutional right of protesting peacfully.  

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

so is this level of discussion. 

You're right.  There was nothing in your post to reply to, as it was not on topic.

I think whenever the media is cowed into what is "fit to print" (ironic), then we have set a very dangerous precedent. 

The New York Times!  The "paper of record"!  On the op-ed page! 

It can't be thought of as a "paper of record" if it has no stones.

• Upvote 5
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 3

4 minutes ago, LongJim said:

You're right.  There was nothing in your post to reply to, as it was not on topic.

I think whenever the media is cowed into what is "fit to print" (ironic), then we have set a very dangerous precedent. 

The New York Times!  The "paper of record"!  On the op-ed page! 

It can't be thought of as a "paper of record" if it has no stones.

how was it not on topic? Cotton wants to pen an op-ed on enacting the Insurrection Act...the NYT believes doing so is a danger to it's employees and society on the whole, especially considering many (as has been evidenced here countless times) confuse an Op-Ed with news/institutional opinion. 

seems like the only thing off topic has been testicle talk. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6

30 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

how was it not on topic? Cotton wants to pen an op-ed on enacting the Insurrection Act...the NYT believes doing so is a danger to it's employees and society on the whole, especially considering many (as has been evidenced here countless times) confuse an Op-Ed with news/institutional opinion.

The Times published it, and then was cowed into disavowing it.  Either they didn't read it, proof it, or edit it before they published (very unlikely, but if so, inexcusable), or they were browbeaten into disavowing it.

How about they let the reader make a decision on whether they can understand the difference between news and opinion?  They shouldn't trot out the "You're a child.  With a child's mind" excuse for specific opinion pieces and not others. 

If they're so concerned about the public's collective mental capacity and the safety of their employees, maybe they should either stop doing it altogether, or publish their op-ed articles in the pages of Highlights or Nickelodeon.

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I do not think most people WANT to call in the military. While they support the peaceful protest, when things get out of control they hope that the local and state forces will be utilized to protect citizens against looting and destruction.

At the same time you are starting to see liberal Democrats talking about defunding and dismantling police departments. What do you foresee happening if this happens?

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I do not think most people WANT to call in the military. While they support the peaceful protest, when things get out of control they hope that the local and state forces will be utilized to protect citizens against looting and destruction.

At the same time you are starting to see liberal Democrats talking about defunding and dismantling police departments. What do you foresee happening if this happens?

Hard to have an honest discussion with people who Are going to compare this....

8D8B68D7-4242-40A4-9DED-68751379068B.png.e72ecb7e3b33799d0deecdb4cf80179c.png

to this.....

63371331-6CEA-4684-BDF6-202EB20EB8AC.png.fb36449c4547fc611af167063c3cf909.png

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

See what I mean?

that they're incomparable? totally. 

I feel I've made my stance on rioting/looting pretty plain...they align with Dr. King's...its possible to be against violence while simultaneously understanding it...with one breathe condemn riots and with the subsequent condemn the societal structures that caused them.

silent and peaceful protests have been taking place for years (and are the majority of this week's events)...they were silenced: "stick to sports"; "you're just an actor"; "hip hop is dangerous"...hell, you even ended one man's football career for a silent and peaceful protest. riots are the language of the unheard. 

save for the clear difference in the scale of what they're protesting...you know why that top group isn't rioting? they're heard. all the douchebaging time. they're the voice. they're not looting and taking because they already have. they're not destroying property because it's theirs. it's their system. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 5

24 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

is this going to get deleted if you're conceptions are challenged? asking for a friend...

Don’t know...my friend just didn’t want to get in a back and forth with someone who had no clue. Just answering for a friend.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

silent and peaceful protests have been taking place for years (and are the majority of this week's events)...

But they (protestors) are not the reason behind the need for the military/national guard to be requested.  

they're the voice. they're not looting and taking because they already have. they're not destroying property because it's theirs. it's their system. 

Yeah,...explain that to this woman.

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

I notice no one has posted how many neo Nazi groups have mobilized to use the protests to start a race war or just kill minorities.

Which do you guys prefer, the Hawaiian shirt look or the white sheets and hood? 

Just one example of a few I have seen this week

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 2
  • Ray 2
  • Downvote 5

13 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I notice no one has posted how many neo Nazi groups have mobilized to use the protests to start a race war or just kill minorities.

What's your take on ANTIFA?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

14 hours ago, 97and03 said:

You have extremist on both sides trying to take advantage of this to promote their ideologies. These extremist on both sides are dangerous and need to be held accountable 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Good post up util you had to add the smart ass swipe. So your opinion is all of the violence has been "right wing?" No radical left wing fringes? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2