Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Green Crazy said:

With the same homeless issues those big cities have.

As these cities go blue they seem to have a lot of the same problems. Funny how those problems are always blamed on Republicans even though Dems are in charge and in many cases have been for decades. 

  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

For those down-voting, please provide your thoughts on why 26 or the 27 cities with the most non-peaceful protest are ran by Democrats? Please explain why, for example the homeless issues in California are the Republican parties fault. Why are Democratic elected officials not help accountable? Would be surprised if you actually took to time to share your thoughts, but I am sure you will just down-vote again, and that's fine and expected.

  • Upvote 9
  • Downvote 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate those who are confirming my point. I have no problem if we don't all agree. I believe we can all learn more when we share different views, so at least have enough belief in what you say you stand for to share your thoughts. 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

For those down-voting, please provide your thoughts on why 26 or the 27 cities with the most non-peaceful protest are ran by Democrats? Please explain why, for example the homeless issues in California are the Republican parties fault. Why are Democratic elected officials not help accountable? Would be surprised if you actually took to time to share your thoughts, but I am sure you will just down-vote again, and that's fine and expected.

I'll take the bait. and blame both sides. I think with a little study of the history of mental health "deinstitutionalization", you could figure out a way to blame liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans. I think the following link provides a pretty good start of explaining how some of the mentally ill got shifted from "state hospitals" to homelessness and imprisonment: 

https://www.thebalance.com/deinstitutionalization-3306067#:~:text=Updated February 17%2C 2020,while also cutting government budgets.

So, a little for everyone, new programs for the Democrats, spending cuts for the Republicans, malignant neglect for the chronically mentally ill, and a good screwing of the American people. I think one of the former superintendents of the Wichita Falls State Hospital predicted the results pretty well as something like "dumping the mentally ill on the downtown streets of major American cities".

Not that the old system of involuntary commitments and large state hospitals didn't need changing, but it seems like we could have come up with a better way to do it. So, I've come to regard it as a truly bipartisan failure. Of course, not all the homeless are mentally ill, but many are. And yes, I'm from Wichita Falls, and our church would sometimes visit folks at the State Hospital there. Later, as I worked in downtown Dallas (a Republican voting city when I started), I could walk among them out on the streets. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, eulessismore said:

I'll take the bait. and blame both sides. I think with a little study of the history of mental health "deinstitutionalization", you could figure out a way to blame liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans. I think the following link provides a pretty good start of explaining how some of the mentally ill got shifted from "state hospitals" to homelessness and imprisonment: 

Honestly no "bait" intended. There is no doubting there are problems that need to be addressed and changes made. But if, on either side, your reply to questions is "they are bad, our it's their fault, etc." how is there supposed to be dialog? If you go into almost any situation where you are have already decided that everything the other side does is wrong things will probably never change.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Honestly no "bait" intended. There is no doubting there are problems that need to be addressed and changes made. But if, on either side, your reply to questions is "they are bad, our it's their fault, etc." how is there supposed to be dialog? If you go into almost any situation where you are have already decided that everything the other side does is wrong things will probably never change.

My understanding of "Take the bait" is pretty much as explained by the following link (responding as requested): https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/take-the-bait. Since you complained of people downvoting you (which I didn't), requesting "Please explain why, for example the homeless issues in California are the Republican parties fault", I made what I thought was a reasonable explanation as to why the homeless issues in California (and elsewhere) are the fault of both Democrats and Republicans.

And actually the analysis I presented was one I developed as an alternative to the explanation given by my brother-in-law in San Francisco, who when I was visiting there in the late 1970's, answered my question as to why all the homeless mentally ill people on the streets of San Francisco at the time with a response that blamed it all on Ronald Reagan's actions as governor. I came to the conclusion that it was more complicated than that, and that it was a problem resulting from policies advocated by both liberals and conservatives and both major parties. Sorry if you were offended, but I thought you asked someone to "explain", so I gave you my explanation.

Now, if you want to discuss possible remedies, I think it may be more complex than people just deciding to be on one political side or the other, or to attribute any argument to a political motivation. Personally, I think I'll never be conservative or liberal enough to satisfy my friends and family on either side of the divide, but am willing to discuss issues, if anyone wishes.

  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.