Any news on Fine?

jperg2

57 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Yep.  The same in the Bussey thread.

Almost as if players transferring to a better conference in order to better their chances at going pro is a foreign concept!

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 11

5 minutes ago, Milo said:

Almost as if players transferring to a better conference in order to better their chances at going pro is a foreign concept!

So what's your point?  Should all of the smaller conference just shutter up and create a pro P5 league for the well to do's?  Do you want to see North Texas succeed in athletics or could you care less?  Seems like you should be following a program like Texas or A&M because you don't seem to care much about UNT.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

So what's your point?  Should all of the smaller conference just shutter up and create a pro P5 league for the well to do's?  Do you want to see North Texas succeed in athletics or could you care less?  Seems like you should be following a program like Texas or A&M because you don't seem to care much about UNT.

No? I want to see UNT succeed, hell, I go to the university. My point is that in some cases G5 athletes are better off transferring up if they want a better shot at the NFL. In Mason's case, while it's unfortunate that things played out the way they did, I think that playing somewhere higher up in his senior year would have helped his draft status. Don't see the controversy here.

Let me add on by saying that I love Mason and he has been my favorite college football player over the past couple of years. While I do appreciate everything he did for this university, I am simply suggesting something that COULD have benefitted him and his future.

Edited by Milo
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 8

Mason literally had the crap beat out of him for basically 4 years and, in his senior year, it finally took its toll. His OL was just bad last year and getting piled into the turf over those years finally took its toll. 

For us to be good going forward, with a new QB at the helm, we have to get better play from our OL. We don't have to run the ball more, although I think that would help immensely, but we have to keep the QB upright. I think SL, being a Leach protégé, may never have much of a defense, but I know Leach cared about OL play and getting protection for his skilled players to run that spread of his. We have got to see this finally become a priority around here, especially as the OOC schedules really start to amp up in the coming years. This year's OOC schedule is brutal compared to anything we have played recently. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

16 hours ago, ABrownGMG said:

Genuinely curious. Can someone explain to me why this is a bad take when Kyler went first overall and Mason likely won’t ever play in the NFL? Theoretically, according to the responses to this post, Kyler Murray also goes number 1 overall if he played one season at UNT?

Kyler Murray runs a 4.3 40, and has a cannon.  There were big doubts about his size, as well. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

19 hours ago, Milo said:

Mason Fine did not get nearly as much publicity as he deserved. This stemmed largely from the fact that he was a C-USA quarterback. If Fine played in any higher conference, he would have gotten more scouting recognition. While his size was ultimately his problem, he would have without a doubt benefitted greatly from playing against greater competition. If Fine played in a better G5 conference, or even a P5 conference, he would have gotten drafted in the middle rounds of the draft. 

tell that to the FIU QB that was drafted

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, Milo said:

No? I want to see UNT succeed, hell, I go to the university. My point is that in some cases G5 athletes are better off transferring up if they want a better shot at the NFL. In Mason's case, while it's unfortunate that things played out the way they did, I think that playing somewhere higher up in his senior year would have helped his draft status. Don't see the controversy here.

Let me add on by saying that I love Mason and he has been my favorite college football player over the past couple of years. While I do appreciate everything he did for this university, I am simply suggesting something that COULD have benefitted him and his future.

I up voted you because I thought your response was very reasonable.  Thanks for responding as you did. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, Milo said:

Over 73% of all NFL draft selections come from Power 5 conferences. P5 QBs are more likely to be drafted in higher rounds than G5 QBs. 92% of first round draft picks have come from P5 schools since 2017. 

But I'd be wrong to say that Mason Fine would have stood a better chance at the NFL by putting up the numbers he had at UNT in a better conference.

https://nationalfootballpost.com/the-power-five-conferences-and-the-nfl-draft/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/Article/nfl-first-round-power-5-conference-picks-results-group-5-g5-sec-aac-146423380/Amp/

I’m sure there is similar correlation between the top high schools and P5 scholarship offers. The best at one level seek talent from them best at the next lower level. But what makes you think Mason would’ve put up draftable numbers in a P5 league? It is all speculation but one thing that isn’t is that Mike White and Nick Mullens got enough exposure to get the the league. As did Devin Singletary and Marcus Davenport. If a guy has the talent, the NFL doesn’t care where they play. Should Josh Allen have transferred from freaking Wyoming? Seriously, who the hell watches Wyoming football and that kid still got taken 7th overalll.

• Upvote 6

Unfortunately, I think he won't be playing on Sundays. He was a really good college QB. However, the NFL is hyper competitive and the overwhelming majority of players never play in the league. That's why getting your degree is so important. Even if you get in the league the average career is like 3 years. Fine is a smart guy, tough, and obviously a hard worker. He will do great even if he isn't throwing a ball. 

• Upvote 6

21 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m sure there is similar correlation between the top high schools and P5 scholarship offers. The best at one level seek talent from them best at the next lower level. But what makes you think Mason would’ve put up draftable numbers in a P5 league? It is all speculation but one thing that isn’t is that Mike White and Nick Mullens got enough exposure to get the the league. As did Devin Singletary and Marcus Davenport. If a guy has the talent, the NFL doesn’t care where they play. Should Josh Allen have transferred from freaking Wyoming? Seriously, who the hell watches Wyoming football and that kid still got taken 7th overalll.

This is all hypothetical. I'm saying IF Mason were to put up similar numbers in a P5 conference. It's not impossible to get drafted/noticed from a G5 school, I'm just saying that it could have helped his chances.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

Keep in mind that every other school in America could have offered Mason a scholarship.  They didn’t and NT did.  That might partially explain his loyalty.  

The NFL likely won’t work out for Mason.  I would think he would look into coaching.  With his stats and his ability I would think after an apprentice period he would be a hot commodity.

Id like to have Mason Fine  back on the sidelines or in the booth for North Texas.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Mason literally had the crap beat out of him for basically 4 years and, in his senior year, it finally took its toll. His OL was just bad last year and getting piled into the turf over those years finally took its toll. 

For us to be good going forward, with a new QB at the helm, we have to get better play from our OL. We don't have to run the ball more, although I think that would help immensely, but we have to keep the QB upright. I think SL, being a Leach protégé, may never have much of a defense, but I know Leach cared about OL play and getting protection for his skilled players to run that spread of his. We have got to see this finally become a priority around here, especially as the OOC schedules really start to amp up in the coming years. This year's OOC schedule is brutal compared to anything we have played recently. 

Took 10 shots a game at minimum

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNTexas said:

10? It was after almost every pass!!! It was terrible to watch. He was tough to always get up.

In that game here against UH, he got hit about 30 times. Even if he didn’t get hit, he was running for his life from someone on their Front Seven that was in the backfield about a half second after he got the snap.

• Upvote 3

Most pro players in the NFL come from P5 schools, because they get the best recruits. 

It is not because they are trained better and get more exposure in the P5 leagues. 

There are many examples of great pro players comming from G5's and lower division teams that excel in the NFL. 

Fine has not yet got a NFL opportunity because the talent scouts do not think he can play in the league.   It has absolutely nothing to do with playing at NT versus any other school. 

The NFL knows that players of his size and speed just don't cut it in pro ball..  Booger was one of the best dl's ever in college, but he just was not fit for the pro game.     

Yes, they could be wrong and I hope Fine get a try out and proves he can play there, but there are very heavy odds against that happening. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

On 6/2/2020 at 11:28 PM, untjim1995 said:

In that game here against UH, he got hit about 30 times. Even if he didn’t get hit, he was running for his life from someone on their Front Seven that was in the backfield about a half second after he got the snap.

Yeah. Our Dlinemen and Nickel were there everytime the ball was snapped. Even I got a little concerned after a while and was wondering why Fine wasn't pulled after the game got outta hand.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, Cougar King said:

Yeah. Our Dlinemen and Nickel were there everytime the ball was snapped. Even I got a little concerned after a while and was wondering why Fine wasn't pulled after the game got outta hand.

We dominated the offensive stats and Fine had a 300 yard two TD game but it didn't matter.  There were no turnovers either.  U of H just played smashmouth with RB Carr who made our linebackers and secondary look small.  The other key stat - as I recall Houston had TWO special team touchdowns -  a punt return and and a kick return in one game.  A game Marty B would like to forget.   This was a 17-6 game at halftime but they just ran it up our gut in the 2nd half and beat us.  Tune can play.

23 hours ago, Cougar King said:

I was unfazed seeing that, but man those rotations were lethal. Our OL couldn't stop a slug last year, and to me ya'll looked like an SEC front 4 but a G5 secondary

14 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I was unfazed seeing that, but man those rotations were lethal. Our OL couldn't stop a slug last year, and to me ya'll looked like an SEC front 4 but a G5 secondary

The major difference between an AAC team like UH or UCF and those of us in CUSA is their size on their lines. We don't have that kind of size/speed on either side of the line of scrimmage.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1