Any news on Fine?

jperg2

Has not signed anywhere yet, and sadly at this point I would consider it a long shot.  With the virus the NFL is really just starting to get things going again and there isn't going to be a rookie mini-camp from what I understand.  Normally that would have been the best time for a player like him to tryout for a team and they could decide to bring him to their actual training camp with the whole team.  Without that opportunity most teams have already either drafted a QB, signed an undrafted QB right after the draft, or both.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ttunt1970 said:

Canada has canceled the season

Things aren't looking good for sure but they could still return as early as September.

There is allegedly 20 potential investors in bringing back the XFL for as early as 2021. Wouldn't be surprised to see some franchise movement, but I would think for sure Houston's safe and Dallas, too. Unless the Renegades to move to San Antonio.

52 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

What about Tuscany ?  Is there anything available in Tuscany ?

Yes there is, the mighty Firenzi Guelfi, but I think they are all set for QBs. Andrea Ghiachin seems to have gotten the nod for the start.

https://www.guelfifirenze.it

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Bold statement based on what?

Fine got as much publicity as any player in the nation based on his stats.  

Pros find players in all levels of competition.  Fine's issue is size not exposure. 

Mason Fine did not get nearly as much publicity as he deserved. This stemmed largely from the fact that he was a C-USA quarterback. If Fine played in any higher conference, he would have gotten more scouting recognition. While his size was ultimately his problem, he would have without a doubt benefitted greatly from playing against greater competition. If Fine played in a better G5 conference, or even a P5 conference, he would have gotten drafted in the middle rounds of the draft. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 3
  • Downvote 8

2 minutes ago, Milo said:

Mason Fine did not get nearly as much publicity as he deserved. This stemmed largely from the fact that he was a C-USA quarterback. If Fine played in any higher conference, he would have gotten more scouting recognition. While his size was ultimately his problem, he would have without a doubt benefitted greatly from playing against greater competition. If Fine played in a better G5 conference, or even a P5 conference, he would have gotten drafted in the middle rounds of the draft. 

Surely, you know more about football than this.   

• Haha 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

38 minutes ago, Milo said:

Genuinely curious. Can someone explain to me why this is a bad take when Kyler went first overall and Mason likely won’t ever play in the NFL? Theoretically, according to the responses to this post, Kyler Murray also goes number 1 overall if he played one season at UNT?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just now, ABrownGMG said:

Genuinely curious. Can someone explain to me why this is a bad take when Kyler went first overall and Mason likely won’t ever play in the NFL? Theoretically, according to the responses to this post, Kyler Murray also goes number 1 overall if he played one season at UNT?

Exactly my point. School prestige plays a big role in getting noticed by scouts. Regardless of skill level, NFL scouts will always favor a P5 university over a G5, simply because of the talent level at which they play. You can have two identical players with the same talent, but the one who plays for a better program will get the benefit of the doubt

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

1 minute ago, ABrownGMG said:

Kyler is a super athlete and yes; playing for NT would not have hurt his standing. Seem to remember Joe Greene and others being first round draft picks.  

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

5 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Kyler is a super athlete and yes; playing for NT would not have hurt his standing. Seem to remember Joe Greene and others being first round draft picks.  

Joe Greene was drafted in 1969. Times have changed. The difference in skill level between P5 universities and G5 universities is too big to ignore. Kyler Murray would not have gone 1st overall playing against teams such as UTEP and LA Tech.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6

5 hours ago, Milo said:

Your troll job is outstanding..

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

9 hours ago, Milo said:

Should have transferred when he had the chance.

His best bet would have probably been to walk-on at Okie St. and bypass UNT altogether.  Probably would have been a first round draft pick.  UNT really screwed him over by giving him a scholarship and starting him for four years.

And let me add this:  Are you seriously comparing Mason Fine to Kyler Murray?  Let’s see, Locust Grove High compared to Allen High.  One FBS offer compared to offers from probably every FBS.  Mason is 5’10” and Kyler is, oh wait, now I understand the comparison.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, NT93 said:

His best bet would have probably been to walk-on at Okie St. and bypass UNT altogether.  Probably would have been a first round draft pick.  UNT really screwed him over by giving him a scholarship and starting him for four years.

And let me add this:  Are you seriously comparing Mason Fine to Kyler Murray?  Let’s see, Locust Grove High compared to Allen High.  One FBS offer compared to offers from probably every FBS.  Mason is 5’10” and Kyler is, oh wait, now I understand the comparison.

Probably would have had a better shot at the draft playing in the Big 12 than playing in Conference USA. You can't argue that the level of play isn't different between the two conferences. 

Also, I didn't start the comparison between Kyler and Mason, that was @ABrownGMG.

Edited by Milo
  • Downvote 3

8 minutes ago, Milo said:

Probably would have had a better shot at the draft playing in the Big 12 than playing in Conference USA. You can't argue that the level of play isn't different between the two conferences. 

Also, I didn't start the comparison between Kyler and Mason, that was @ABrownGMG.

But would he have had a better chance of being drafted carrying a clipboard in the Big 12 or playing in CUSA?  Not saying it doesn’t happen (see Baker Mayfield), but it’s a very rare occurrence for a Big 12 school to have a starting QB who was a walk on.  My point was that UNT gave him a chance when no one else did.

My apologies for attributing the Kyler/Mason comparison to you.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Over 73% of all NFL draft selections come from Power 5 conferences. P5 QBs are more likely to be drafted in higher rounds than G5 QBs. 92% of first round draft picks have come from P5 schools since 2017. 

But I'd be wrong to say that Mason Fine would have stood a better chance at the NFL by putting up the numbers he had at UNT in a better conference.

https://nationalfootballpost.com/the-power-five-conferences-and-the-nfl-draft/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/Article/nfl-first-round-power-5-conference-picks-results-group-5-g5-sec-aac-146423380/Amp/

• Downvote 4

7 hours ago, Marty said:

Those P5 schools didn’t give him a chance. NT did & Mason succeeded. Kyler was a 5 star recruit out of high school, Mason was a 2 star. FIU had a QB drafted for the 2nd year in a row. Exposure is not the problem.

QB James Morgan, who led FIU’s historic upset of Miami, heads to Jets in NFL Draft

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Mason wasn't drafted because of his height.

Look at Rakeem Cato. He was every bit as good as Mason and had more postseason success. He never got a shot either and he's listed at 6'

James Morgan is 6'4", Alex McGough is 6'3".

If Mason could run like Kyler Murray or was as stocky as Russell Wilson it might've been different, but while Mason is mobile, he's not running a 4.38 anytime soon, and he ain't gonna gain 20 pounds and keep his mobility(even Wilson ran a 4.5)

Height doesn't matter as much in college. NFL scouts aren't willing to take a chance on a sub 6' QB that can't also outrun everyone. 

• Upvote 3