State asks Universities to Cut Budgets by 5%

MCMLXXX

6 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I wonder at some point will universities be required to repay/credit current students for on campus services they paid for but were not able to receive? I know there are more and more lawsuits hitting the courts. Could be quite a hit to the schools.

Exactly. Hard to charge all those fees for on campus resources and sports if you can’t access them. I know the Rec Center fee used to be around $75 a semester. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, peanuts104 said:

That's because our state isn't reliant on income tax for revenue.

/Prepares to fight tax appraisal for the 4th year in a row

HELL YEAH, TEXAS! 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/21/2020 at 12:44 PM, Quoner said:

/Prepares to fight tax appraisal for the 4th year in a row

HELL YEAH, TEXAS! 

Did yours go up? My assessment went down (like 2% but still).  I would expect most counties to either not raise or even perhaps lower them given the current economic circumstances.  Home values should at least be remaining level right now if not decreasing.

• Upvote 1

they take the numbers from January to figure your property taxes, before all this crap hit so they will get their increase this year in property taxes.  if they don't they can leave the amount the same and just raise the level.  As a taxpayer you will always lose.  Texas does not have a state income tax but they make up for in property taxes.

On 5/20/2020 at 7:40 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

I wonder at some point will universities be required to repay/credit current students for on campus services they paid for but were not able to receive? I know there are more and more lawsuits hitting the courts. Could be quite a hit to the schools.

Fees were refunded a prorated amount this past term if requested.

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2020 at 4:15 PM, Wag Tag said:

5% is just a starter. Wait and see how far revenue will decline this fall. A lot of students won’t be on campus.

I wonder if this will help Texas high school students applying to Texas public universities (living on-campus) be accepted in the next few years? 

• Upvote 2

On 5/23/2020 at 9:52 PM, peanuts104 said:

Did yours go up? My assessment went down (like 2% but still).  I would expect most counties to either not raise or even perhaps lower them given the current economic circumstances.  Home values should at least be remaining level right now if not decreasing.

Mine went up $15,000 and I submitted the protest online over the weekend. I have a realtor friend who pulls the comps so it is not a huge hassle, but, having lived in a nice town in a state with its own income tax, I paid less overall out of pocket up there by about $1500 per year. 

Edited by Quoner
typo!
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Quoner said:

Mine went up $15,000 and I submitted the protest online over the weekend. I have a realtor friend who pulls the comps so it is not a huge hassle, but, having lived in a nice town in a state with its own income tax, I paid less overall out of pocket up there by about $1500 per year. 

Went up *to* $15K or went up an *additional* $15K?

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1