QB Amani Gilmore, KY transfer, commits

I have to admit I am a little baffled by this unless there is a potential position change or Seth knows we are losing a QB to transfer. Our QB room is pretty full of young guys. 
I am sure that he is talented but I will point out that last year Kentucky lost its top three QBs to injury and opted to play a WR at the position rather than this guy. To me there is cause to question this signing. (And yes I know he was a true freshman but so was Dodge, Vizza, Fine, etc.) 

Always happy to sign talented people who want to be here but it raises questions for me. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

9 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I have to admit I am a little baffled by this unless there is a potential position change or Seth knows we are losing a QB to transfer. Our QB room is pretty full of young guys. 
I am sure that he is talented but I will point out that last year Kentucky lost its top three QBs to injury and opted to play a WR at the position rather than this guy. To me there is cause to question this signing. (And yes I know he was a true freshman but so was Dodge, Vizza, Fine, etc.) 

Always happy to sign talented people who want to be here but it raises questions for me. 

Agreed. Excited but curious. Doesn’t this put our QB room at like 8 deep now? 

Maybe an insurance policy in case the Aune/Bean experiment doesn’t work?

Then again more competition never hurt anyone so who knows. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

A theory was mentioned to me that the coaches may have touted Bean as the backup last year even when Aune outplayed him in camp to ensure both would still be here for the 2020 season since Aune already has a house here and is much less likely to transfer. If this theory had merit, you would have them battle it out through fall camp, announce Aune as the starter right before the first game and have Bean be his backup, then probably see Bean transfer after the season with maybe Martin and Kuehne choosing to do the same over backing up Aune for two more years.

In that scenario, plus not signing a 2020 HS QB, we’d possibly be down to just Aune and Drummond as our only scholarship QBs heading into the 2021 season. Having Gilmore on the roster after his redshirt would be huge in that scenario.

I get that’s a lot of conjecture, but the risk of transfers is pretty similar if Bean wins the job. I think this move is made with this risk very much in mind. 

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

“I challenged Amani,” Smith told Kentucky Sports. “From the first bye week to the second bye week, you could see the progress that he made. Coach Hinshaw has done a tremendous job of working on some of his mechanical things, some things that he might have been deficient in at that point, going into the first bye week. When we let him take reps that second bye week, he was 20 times better.”

• Upvote 3

The University of Kentucky apparently will lose its second quarterback to the transfer portal this offseason, according to a report Thursday.

Gilmore joins Walker Wood in leaving Lexington since the end of last season. Wood, a graduate of Lafayette High School in Lexington, transferred to McNeese State of the Football Championship Subdivision in February.

read more:  https://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-football/article242573666.html

Edited by meangreen11

Gilmore, who was unable to force his way onto the field as a freshman even after injuries to UK's top three quarterbacks, faced an uphill battle to earn reps even after the improvements because of the addition of Auburn transfer Joey Gatewood and four-star Lexington Catholic quarterback Beau Allen this spring.

Former starter Terry Wilson is on schedule to return from the knee injury that ended his 2019 season after two games in time for the 2020 opener. Backup Sawyer Smith, who showed promise after replacing Wilson before wrist and shoulder injuries sapped his throwing strength, has one season of eligibility remaining.

Read more: https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2020/05/08/kentucky-football-backup-qb-amani-gilmore-transfer/3101512001/

Former UK All-SEC defensive back Van Hiles knows plenty about Gilmore, a Louisiana native like Hiles.

“If he keeps progressing, he is special,” Hiles said. “He is left-handed and has a great arm. He is Terry Wilson almost. He has great straight line speed. He played in a spread offense on a really good team in high school that won the state championship his senior year.

“He has all the attributes to be a really special player. He will be more than just good, especially since UK is bringing in receivers for him to have a really good group of skilled players around him. Coach (Vince) Marrow is getting really good tight ends every year. He should really have a lot of talent at his disposal going forward.”

read more:  https://www.vaughtsviews.com/2019/09/freshman-qb-amani-gilmore-could-eventually-be-special-but-also-could-be-forced-into-action-this-year/

• Upvote 2

What did you do in the off season to prepare yourself for this year?

I attended many camps as well as doing team and personal workouts. I went to camps at Texas A&M, Southeastern, Tulane, LSU, and ULL.

What do you want your college major to be?

I would like to do engineering. I want to be an architect.

What community service have you done?

I am in a club FCCLA and it is agriculture class where we do a lot of cooking and a lot of passing out food to homeless people. We go on field trips often and we plant and grow things.

Have you received any academic awards?

In eighth grade I received the community service award.

What awards have you gotten for sports?

I have gotten MVP for baseball as well as MVP for football when I was younger. In the past I have also received the best quarterback award. With basketball we went to various championships.

What has football taught you about yourself?

It has taught me a lot and how to deal with adversity. I also have learned how to handle things as they come in life.

read more:  https://louisianagridironfootball.com/diamond-in-the-rough-amani-gilmore-amite-high-school/