Lesa Roe

GrandGreen

Not a new recruit, but the chancellor of the UNT system.

Does anyone have any idea of what she has accomplished in her almost two years in the post?

Reading several statements of other Chancellors relative to the coronavirus, I thought about her and frankly I could not even remember her name. 

One thing she obviously should be doing is promoting the university and her forte was supposed to be in getting research dollars.  I think she is failing in at least the public promotion of UNT, hopefully she is doing much better getting research dollars.  

I thought she was a very odd selection and that NT should have went for like many universities a politician that can at least get the ear of government. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2

4 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Does anyone have any idea of what she has accomplished in her almost two years in the post?

Reading several statements of other Chancellors relative to the coronavirus, I thought about her and frankly I could not even remember her name. 

One thing she obviously should be doing is promoting the university and her forte was supposed to be in getting research dollars.  I think she is failing in at least the public promotion of UNT, hopefully she is doing much better getting research dollars.  

I thought she was a very odd selection and that NT should have went for like many universities a politician that can at least get the ear of government. 

I completely forgot about her.  I guess she's not interfering in athletics so that's good. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, greenjoe said:

I think he’s thinking of former Dallas County Judge Lee Jackson.  

Has as she ever been spotted at Apogee ?

Yes, forgot all about him, which was easy to do, but I really don't consider an ex-county Judge a big political plus. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, greenjoe said:

I think he’s thinking of former Dallas County Judge Lee Jackson.  

She at the very least knows of it...

EDIT:  This just in - Lesa Roe participated in the coin toss at the 2017 game against UTSA that featured “The Drive”.

https://meangreensports.com/news/2017/10/10/Hayden_Fry_To_Be_Honored_At_North_Texas_UTSA_Game.aspx?path=football

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Confused 1

If UNT wants some actual state political pull, they would have to actually hire someone competent.

UNT refusing to play politics is why they aren't in the SEC, Big 12 or AAC and weren't in the SWC.

Let's not even get into state funding.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 5

On 5/10/2020 at 3:06 PM, GrandGreen said:

I’m not sure what she has done but to my knowledge she has not  tried to relocate the University to Dallas. So there is that.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

On 5/10/2020 at 5:12 PM, greenjoe said:

Yeah, she actually uses her box seats at games.

On 5/10/2020 at 5:20 PM, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Isn’t her son a scholarship athlete in Virginia or some place in that area?

Her son was a scholarship player for Virginia Tech. She’s known to tout the value of sports.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Who is responsible for connecting UNT and the Dallas Cowboys?  That has put our name and logo in more public forums than anything I remember seeing...at least in the DFW area.

Good question. I think that predates Roe.  Smatresk may be the one behind it. 

• Upvote 2

Another factor in the hiring of Lee Jackson was that he had been a state representative from Dallas for ten years and it was believed that he had contacts that would help in acquiring state funds.  

I'm not saying that he was effective but since he only held a master's degree (and chancellors usually hold doctorates) that was the reason given and not so much that he was an ex-Dallas County Judge.

• Upvote 1

There was a time here when our chancellor was Lee Jackson, Gretchen Bataille, Rick Villareal, and Todd Dodge to lead the university system, campus, AD, and football program---while playing at Fouts Field.

If you need to feel better in these difficult times, think of each person that is currently serving in these positions listed above, while looking at Apogee. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

14 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

Who is responsible for connecting UNT and the Dallas Cowboys?  That has put our name and logo in more public forums than anything I remember seeing...at least in the DFW area.

Former Chair GBR and the Prez were behind it. I really like the internship/training angle for students - would have have jumped at a chance to participate while I was in school.

There is also now some overlap with the sports management program they have been building out. It has made some great inroads over the past few years. I think this program will be among the top in the country shortly.

Edited by xyresic
  • Upvote 1