Everything on the Table

RBP79

As a school teacher, I am sure that the place I am most likely to be exposed to any illness is in my classroom, and I will gladly go back there five days a week next year. Going into Apogee six times will be an easy call.

As far as vaccines go, I get a flu shot every year and will continue to despite the fact that it is usually about 25% effective it seems. A few years after the corona vaccine is available, if no one has grown an third nipple or anything, I'll consider it. 

On another note, in my twenty two years teaching the only lock down we ever had was because someone let a dog into the building.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

Did you catch this part towards the end of the article?

“Part of me, I sit here and think, ‘You know what? We might be better off. Let’s just pass on ’20-21,’ ” he said. “ ‘Let’s focus on academics. Let’s just park athletics to the side for a year. Let everybody get ahead academically, work out on their own.’ But are we kidding ourselves? Is it going to be nothing but starts and stops, starts and stops? Are we focused on what’s truly important? Maybe we should be focused on waiting for the vaccine and other priorities rather than trying to figure out how to get a soccer season in or how to get a basketball season in, in all honesty, in the big picture of things."

My good friend is a diehard Texas Tech fan and his wife is a successful corporate litigation lawyer. Before the conference tourneys and March Madness were canceled, she actually predicted it in February and brought him to tears by breaking down the numerous liability issues of student athletes playing sports during this pandemic. Think about it. A personal injury lawyer could easily argue that the NCAA, P5/G5 conferences, and universities are legally liable should student athletes become sick and die from COVID-19. A devastating legal argument could be made that these organizations knowingly risked the lives of their student athletes in pursuit of financial gain and even the coaches with their million dollar salaries could be swamped with lawsuits. Lawyers for the NCAA and universities fully understand the magnitude of this risk and their blessing will ultimately be needed before student athletes are allowed to take the field again.

The lack of compensation for student athletes becomes an even messier issue during the pandemic. Student athletes (especially ones who are immunocompromised) would now be risking their lives to play sports without compensation or hazard pay. Not a good look when the universities, coaches, sponsors, and NCAA rake in the millions of dollars per business as usual.

One last point, if student athletes get sick and die, this instantly becomes an absolute PR nightmare and sponsors will jump ship en masse. ADs and university presidents would be held responsible and heads would roll. 

So let me ask the board, how do you predict the risk-adverse attorneys will advise their clients?

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

This is why a certain side of Congress is trying to get immunity for businesses & institutions as it pertains to Coronavirus claims.  Otherwise you will see MANY businesses and colleges close their doors waaaay longer than necessary in fear of exhaustive litigation expenses from ambulance chasing trial attorneys who are looking for their next big meal ticket.  Nevermind that a customer or employee likely can't prove they got the virus from a particular establishment -- it'll be the "hey, you made me go into work and that's why I caught the virus -- I'll settle for $______ to make it go away".  This will kill any hopes of the economy restarting -- thus, why it's important to have legal protections built in...

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, C Rod said:

My good friend is a diehard Texas Tech fan and his wife is a successful corporate litigation lawyer. Before the conference tourneys and March Madness were canceled, she actually predicted it in February and brought him to tears by breaking down the numerous liability issues of student athletes playing sports during this pandemic. Think about it. A personal injury lawyer could easily argue that the NCAA, P5/G5 conferences, and universities are legally liable should student athletes become sick and die from COVID-19. A devastating legal argument could be made that these organizations knowingly risked the lives of their student athletes in pursuit of financial gain and even the coaches with their million dollar salaries could be swamped with lawsuits. Lawyers for the NCAA and universities fully understand the magnitude of this risk and their blessing will ultimately be needed before student athletes are allowed to take the field again.

The lack of compensation for student athletes becomes an even messier issue during the pandemic. Student athletes (especially ones who are immunocompromised) would now be risking their lives to play sports without compensation or hazard pay. Not a good look when the universities, coaches, sponsors, and NCAA rake in the millions of dollars per business as usual.

One last point, if student athletes get sick and die, this instantly becomes an absolute PR nightmare and sponsors will jump ship en masse. ADs and university presidents would be held responsible and heads would roll. 

So let me ask the board, how do you predict the risk-adverse attorneys will advise their clients?

Fing lawyers.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, C Rod said:

And not just dying either.
Imagine a top athlete going on a ventilator but recovering - only to have damaged lungs and diminished lung capacity for life. We are still learning about what this does to survivors. 
So this athlete is alive but his future potential earnings just plummeted. That would be a lawsuit for sure.

And even if the universities win all the suits, the legal fees alone would be astronomical.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

It will not be a normal flu season next year.  The social distancing that people are using now, the increased sanitary conditions and better hygiene will lower the number of infections. This will also help with covid 19 infections.  We wont have a vaccine by next year, but we have a battle plan to fight it and medicines to decrease the severity and recovery time.  My opinion, this season is probably the worst season we see of this.  Now, this can change when/if the virus mutates. 

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

It will not be a normal flu season next year.  The social distancing that people are using now, the increased sanitary conditions and better hygiene will lower the number of infections. This will also help with covid 19 infections.  We wont have a vaccine by next year, but we have a battle plan to fight it and medicines to decrease the severity and recovery time.  My opinion, this season is probably the worst season we see of this.  Now, this can change when/if the virus mutates. 

When most businesses opens people will forget about social distancing. I went into a restaurant that just reopened and customers were seated like nothing has happened. I have no data to support it, but I assume most flu deaths occur among residents who don't have the luxury of social distancing and better hygiene. I also wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a vaccine that may never come, nor for medicines to decrease the severity one you are infected. I am not a physician, but I did spend the night in a Holiday Inn, which seems to be where our political leadership gets it's direction. In my opinion, based upon CDC and other medical predictions, its going to get a lot worse this fall before it gets better and its never going away.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

I'm not exactly an "anti-vaxxer" but I"m not so sure I would want to head out and put this brand new vaccine with no history that is no doubt being rushed, into me and my kids...

I get some people with underlying issues may way want it so there's a risk/reward thing there....but as for those that have no issues....I think I would just as soon take my chances with the virus.

Or maybe I don't know enough about vaccines....

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, wardly said:

When most businesses opens people will forget about social distancing. I went into a restaurant that just reopened and customers were seated like nothing has happened. I have no data to support it, but I assume most flu deaths occur among residents who don't have the luxury of social distancing and better hygiene. I also wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a vaccine that may never come, nor for medicines to decrease the severity one you are infected. I am not a physician, but I did spend the night in a Holiday Inn, which seems to be where our political leadership gets it's direction. In my opinion, based upon CDC and other medical predictions, its going to get a lot worse this fall before it gets better and its never going away.

For sure a lot of people will relax the amount of caution they take, but not all of them and those do will make a difference.  Hygiene is something a very very high percentage of people can afford.  Washing your hands and being aware of coughing on people is more an effort than an issue of affordability. 

Also, remdesivir is a drug proven to decrease recovery time.

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/news-events/nih-clinical-trial-shows-remdesivir-accelerates-recovery-advanced-covid-19

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

16 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I'm not exactly an "anti-vaxxer" but I"m not so sure I would want to head out and put this brand new vaccine with no history that is no doubt being rushed, into me and my kids...

I get some people with underlying issues may way want it so there's a risk/reward thing there....but as for those that have no issues....I think I would just as soon take my chances with the virus.

Or maybe I don't know enough about vaccines....

i haven't received the flu vaccine in 7 years....got tired of getting it...and guess what?  i've not had the flu once in those 7 years.

looking into the magic 8 ball:  i'm douchebaged this year and will probably get the flu

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, THOR said:

i haven't received the flu vaccine in 7 years....got tired of getting it...and guess what?  i've not had the flu once in those 7 years.

looking into the magic 8 ball:  i'm douchebaged this year and will probably get the flu

I've been inconsistent....I've gotten the flu in years I got the vaccine and I've not gotten it in years I didn't...

Who knows.....

What I've learned is the flu shot really only inoculates you from judgement...not from the flu itself

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, THOR said:

Statistics are interesting. In the 70's I met a social worker who was counseling a woman who had birthed 9 children in 9 years. When asked what she used for birth control she replied that her mother told her to nail a sweet potato over her bed. Now if she had intercourse 2 times a week, or 100 times a year, the sweet potato was 99% effective and should be sold in a basket in your neighborhood drug store.I assume that you are more at risk statistically in contracting the flu if you don't get a shot than if you do.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, C Rod said:

The same risk liabilities can be applied to just about anything?

What if they break their neck getting tackled, What if they trip and ruin a knee at the steps at the Super Pit?  What if they get meningitis or staph from dirty showers and die? What if they get run over at the cross walk? What if they get killed driving in from College Station trying to make it on time for August practice?  What if because of stress from school and sports especially from that position coach that’s never happy about anything they do....causes them to take their own life?...and on and on and on.

Might as well never leave the house?

Rick

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 9

13 minutes ago, C Rod said:

This is a false equivalency. We're dealing with a once in a century pandemic, with a novel virus, which we have no vaccine for. 

I don't see the false equivalency. Just because this virus is all scary and new doesn't mean we're not dealing with the same consequence which is death.

What difference is it if you die from a virus or a car wreck....you're still dead. However we seem to want to put in place sweeping changes to society for one cause and not the other. 

I don't see the difference. Dead is dead and we have to decide what steps we want to take to avoid death.

the easiest step being everyone stay inside.

you know what else kills? Poverty....and we're about to see a spike in that too

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I don't see the false equivalency. Just because this virus is all scary and new doesn't mean we're not dealing with the same consequence which is death.

What difference is it if you die from a virus or a car wreck....you're still dead. However we seem to want to put in place sweeping changes to society for one cause and not the other. 

I don't see the difference. Dead is dead and we have to decide what steps we want to take to avoid death.

And crime.

15 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

If you don’t see the difference then you aren’t very smart.

The proper analogies would be letting the kids play without helmets or pad, driving them around in a car without brakes and seatbelts, or making them run the stairs with blindfolds and ear plugs. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, 97and03 said:

If you don’t see the difference then you aren’t very smart.

The proper analogies would be letting the kids play without helmets or pad, driving them around in a car without brakes and seatbelts, or making them run the stairs with blindfolds and ear plugs. 

But in your analogy, you're "letting the kids play, driving them around, making them run stairs".....Those aren't the proper analogies to "might as well never leave the house" which is word for word what Rick said.

I think I can see the difference just fine? Perhaps you misunderstood my point...

And I graduated from UNT....of course I'm smart.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Vaccinations??

Obviously, many here never have served in the military and deployed to a third world country..

I've been vaccinated for everything it seems..my favorite was a series of anthrax shots that with each shot the pain increased to the point it felt like getting hit with a baseball bat...lol

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

But in your analogy, you're "letting the kids play, driving them around, making them run stairs".....Those aren't the proper analogies to "might as well never leave the house" which is word for word what Rick said.

I think I can see the difference just fine? Perhaps you misunderstood my point...

And I graduated from UNT....of course I'm smart.  

“What difference is it if you die from a virus or a car wreck....you're still dead. However we seem to want to put in place sweeping changes to society for one cause and not the other. ”

Why do you have seat belts, turn signals, air bags, headlights, traffic lights, speed limits, a license, and law enforcement all involved when you get behind the wheel?  Do you think the first cars had all that? Or do you think all those restrictions and measures were put into place for public safety? 
I will answer for you: it’s all to try to keep you from dying. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1