Everything on the Table

RBP79

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

That’s interesting.  In Fort Worth there were thousands out and about last night...and have been for a while now.

Rick

Both the Dallas and Denton county judges have been stricter than the ones in Tarrant and Collin counties.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

All 3 outside of Dallas have been reasonable. I drive Uber and am shocked how busy I am. I laid off the roads from st patty’s to cinco de Mayo.  From the 5th on it has been rocking with requests and I was in Fort Worth yesterday where 2 restaurants I dined in were full.  People are moving around again, but people are making their way back at their own pace which is smart. Confidence level is personal and rising which bodes well for the economy. 

gmg 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Denton????

I live in Frisco east of Legacy Drive which runs N/S in Denton County just North of 121. Collin County is on the other side of Legacy, and encompasses East Frisco, Plano, McKinney, and Allen. The golf club I belong to is in Denton county, where the judge had basically shut us down. The club house was closed, and if you wanted to play it was walking only. In Collin county the pro shop was open, you could get a cart for a single rider, food and beverage service on the course was available as was patio dinning. The way I understand the Virus restrictions in Texas is that the Governor sets his guidelines and that local county judges can adhere to them or be more restrictive but not less. Also, individual businesses that are allowed to open under his edict have to option to remain closed. I may be a little fuzzy on this as I have had a hard time understanding who is in charge in Texas as the state is taking a county by county approach.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

If there is a season, I'l be in attendance. I'll take precautions, just like I do now, but I'm not going to stop living life out of fear. I'm in that age bracket too, but I'll be damned if I'm going to be in hiding for the rest of my life. If it's my time, so be it.

We have a vaccine for the flu, and in the past 2 years a little over 100,000 American residents have died of that Virus, an average of about 50,000 per year. If the new Virus continues it's rise into the fall with out a vaccine, deaths could probably be similar to the flu so with the 2 combined you may be looking at 10,000 deaths per month. I say "may", because no one knows. While I don't plan on hiding the rest of my life I plan to avoid venues where the risk of being infected is greatest. The situation the world finds itself in reminds me of a line in a country and western song, "Everyone wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die."

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3

21 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

To get back to normal we are going to have to have a vaccine. I don’t see how athletics can happen unless all students are back on campus. I sure hope it is a shorter time frame! GMG 

I don't think we can wait for a vaccine. It's very difficult to find a vaccine for a virus. We have been trying to find a vaccine for HIV for almost 40 years and still don't have one. I do not think people will stand for living in fear until a vaccine comes.

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Venson said:

I don't think we can wait for a vaccine. It's very difficult to find a vaccine for a virus. We have been trying to find a vaccine for HIV for almost 40 years and still don't have one. I do not think people will stand for living in fear until a vaccine comes.

I agree. Can you have college athletics without all the students being on campus? I don’t think so. This will be the measuring point.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Hundreds of thousands have died of the flu the past several years yet we still saw you at the games.  

I don’t know how you found the courage?

Rick

Well, I was vaccinated so I never even thought about it. I mean never! Who did? However, we don't know what we are dealing with regarding this new virus."Venson" is correct. We still don't have a vaccine for HIV and who knows when if ever we will for this virus .At this point who can say. I have renewed my season club seats, increased my scholarship pledge by 10%, and will continue to support the Eagles, but probably from afar.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Scattershooting:

Can we count holograms in attendance? More durable than cardboard cut outs. Probably will need to increase in venue WiFi capabilities though.

I can’t wait until the next opportunity to get into Apogee, Lovelace and a host of other on campus venues. I will also take orders for Poppy’s kettle corn if you would like me to pick up some for you while I am at the game.

Maybe now we will figure out a way to actually enforce no one sits in a seat without a ticket for that seat in non-GA sections.

Wear a mask, and first game I am calling for a Clorox wipe out. 

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1

19 hours ago, wardly said:

Well, I was vaccinated so I never even thought about it. I mean never! Who did? However, we don't know what we are dealing with regarding this new virus."Venson" is correct. We still don't have a vaccine for HIV and who knows when if ever we will for this virus .At this point who can say. I have renewed my season club seats, increased my scholarship pledge by 10%, and will continue to support the Eagles, but probably from afar.

Well, my wife and I are religious about getting our flu shot in September. And like you, I mostly don't think about it after that. But when I do think about it, I know that the flu shot is considered successful when it protects anywhere between 30-40 percent of the population. That means that I could still come down with it, but then the other advantage of the shot kicks in, which is the severity of the flu event. Depending on the year, I could have a mild or medium "event".  I could live with a vaccine that had the same outcomes with CV-19. 

Here is a chart for the last 15 years.

Table. Adjusted vaccine effectiveness estimates for influenza seasons from 2004-2018

CDC calculates vaccine effectiveness estimates through the U.S. VE Network

Table. Adjusted vaccine effectiveness estimates for influenza seasons from 2004-2018CDC calculates vaccine effectiveness estimates through the U.S. VE Network

Influenza Season

Reference

Study Site(s)

No. of Patients

Adjusted Overall VE (%)

95% CI

2018-19

Flannery 2020external icon WI, MI, PA, TX, WA 3,254

21, 35

2017-18

Rolfes 2019external icon WI, MI, PA, TX, WA 8,436

31, 43

2016-17

Flannery 2019external icon WI, MI, PA, TX, WA 7410

32, 46

2015-16

Jackson 2017external icon

WI, MI, PA, TX, WA

41, 55

2014-15

Zimmerman 2016external icon

WI, MI, PA, TX, WA

10, 27

2013-14

Gaglani 2016external icon

WI, MI, PA, TX, WA

44, 59

2012-13

McLean 2014external icon

WI, MI, PA, TX, WA

43, 55

2011-12

Ohmit 2014external icon

WI, MI, PA, TX, WA

36, 56

2010-11

Treanor 2011external icon

WI, MI, NY, TN

53, 66

2009-10

Griffin 2011external icon

WI, MI, NY, TN

23, 75

2008-09

Unpublished

WI, MI, NY, TN

30, 50

2007-08

Belongia 2011external icon

WI

22, 49

2006-07

Belongia 2009external icon

WI

22, 70

2005-06

WI

-52, 59

2004-05

WI

-36, 40

* Vaccine effectiveness estimates for 2018-2019 are preliminary estimates and will be updated with final estimates at the end of the 2018-2019 U.S. influenza season.
* From 2004-05 through 2010-11, the Network also enrolled inpatients.
† Vaccine effectiveness (VE) estimates for the 2008-2009 flu season have not yet been published.
‡ Number of patients used in VE calculation.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2