Where Did The SOW Come From?

LMAO,  you guys are delusional.  Either we ripped them off or they ripped us off.  Acting like an almost exact replica is some sort of coincidence is idiotic.   If you don’t care that’s cool.  I honestly don’t care that much either.  Just call it like is 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

• 2 weeks later...

Air Force flying squadrons all over the world have both a formal squadron crest and an informal logo, typically based on the unit's call sign. As an example, my last squadron's call sign was "Alleycat" and its informal logo is below. As you see, virtually no money was spent on the design or manufacture of these!

My guess is that somebody in the RAAF 3rd Squadron somehow saw the SOW and said, "hey, that's looks great, let's use it" and so they did. I see other RAAF squadron use different informal logos.  Still, they should have asked permission before doing so, 

Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 9.48.11 AM.png

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Air Force flying squadrons all over the world have both a formal squadron crest and an informal logo, typically based on the unit's call sign. As an example, my last squadron's call sign was "Alleycat" and its informal logo is below. As you see, virtually no money was spent on the design or manufacture of these!

My guess is that somebody in the RAAF 3rd Squadron somehow saw the SOW and said, "hey, that's looks great, let's use it" and so they did. I see other RAAF squadron use different informal logos.  Still, they should have asked permission before doing so, 

Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 9.48.11 AM.png

From what I can tell, those F-35’s were built and painted for Australia right down the road in Ft. Worth, the first of which left the US for Australia just two years ago.

Looks like the F-18’s that had the diving eagle on them were sold to Canada when they were replaced in Australia by the F-35’s.:

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
Added video of F-18’s going from Australia to Canada.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

From what I can tell, those F-35’s were built and painted for Australia right down the road in Ft. Worth, the first of which left the US for Australia just two years ago.

Looks like the F-18’s that had the diving eagle on them were sold to Canada when they were replaced in Australia by the F-35’s.:

1 hour ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Interesting! At any rate, the university should contact the RAAF and see what is going on.  

• Upvote 2

• 3 years later...
On 5/9/2020 at 8:21 PM, greenminer said:

IMO, our moniker and logo makes us one of the most unique brands in all of sports.  I love them.  Here's hoping one day it is on display on the biggest national stage we can imagine.

It’s actually a pretty good looking logo, but there’s got to be a better way to apply it to the helmets.  Don’t really want to look like Oregon and would like the decal to look reasonable.  The Texas with the SOW looks good from a scale perspective but I think having the state on your helmet might be a little gimmicky.  It’ll be interesting to watch the athletic branding over the next few years in the new conference as we get more exposure.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1