Oregon Gov cancels sportz thru Sept

this women is a disaster. She should be CUSA Commish, which says a lot about current leadership

** I find this nuts because when looking at the JHU COVID maps Oregon has relatively few cases outside of Portland and Salem metro. Just way to early to say lockdown thru September.

Edited by untbowler
  • Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 8

The tweet says Brown says they should be cancelled.  Did she cancel them or not?

12 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

I can't believe people are canceling stuff 4 months from now.  Doesn't seem to be motivated from a place to protect people.  We don't know what things will be like in 4 months.

With things of this magnitude, you have to plan pretty far out.

• Upvote 4

In unrelated news, soccer in Germany (without spectators) is coming back .... next Saturday. That seemed unlikely to happen before mid june just three weeks ago. Then again, who knows if Germany is gonna get a backlash. The lesson to me: no point in trying to plan 4 months ahead right now.

If all of this leads to colleges stopping to schedule opponents 15 years in advance and look at this more short term, then i actually think that might be a good thing.

Also: if one state cancels all games but the guarantee game opponents State does not, get ready for a fight about whether and who has to pay cancellation fees for those contracts, with both schools and local governments getting sued.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

What scientific data point(s) are they using to discuss cancelling that far out in advance?

I don't understand the decision making there. I saw the NBA commissioner is preparing teams to play games without fans IN 2021.

Again....based on what?

Two things come to mind -

1) Worried that there could be lawsuits if fans get sick

2) Revenue from broadcast rights.

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Two things come to mind -

1) Worried that there could be lawsuits if fans get sick

2) Revenue from broadcast rights.

I would fully support the NBA telling a fan that got sick from going to the game: "no one forced you to come to the arena....you and your lawyer can piss off" I've been hungover the next day from going to a game.....can I sue?

Seems pretty simple in my mind....but I know that it's never simple.  😒

I get the TV revenue...although I think after a couple of weeks, fans are going to be turned off by watching games with no fans. Just too weird...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I would fully support the NBA telling a fan that got sick from going to the game: "no one forced you to come to the arena....you and your lawyer can piss off" I've been hungover the next day from going to a game.....can I sue?

I get the TV revenue...although I think after a couple of weeks, fans are going to be turned off by watching games with no fans. Just too weird...

As long as there is betting and Fantasy leagues people will be interested 🤑

Come to think of it... they could replay an SMU home game to get the reaction of watching a game with no fans in the stands.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Cramming tens of thousands of people together, in an enclosed arena, during a pandemic is a bad idea. To do it repeatedly is an even worse idea. Every game potentially becomes a virus hotspot with thousands of a super spreaders taking COVID home to their families on a nightly basis. I can't see the NBA willing to that risk with their players, fans, & brand. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, C Rod said:

Cramming tens of thousands of people together, in an enclosed arena, during a pandemic is a bad idea. To do it repeatedly is an even worse idea. Every game potentially becomes a virus hotspot with thousands of a super spreaders taking COVID home to their families on a nightly basis. I can't see the NBA willing to that risk with their players, fans, & brand. 

Totally shutting down the NBA forever will guarantee no one gets sick

Just like shutting down roads will guarantee no one ever dies in a car wreck

Not trying to be snarky but what's the answer? I mean the only way to guarantee no one ever gets sick is to not ever have another group event again.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

What was Dr. Fauci's warning today? He warns of "needless suffering" if the economy opens too quickly?

Thing is I would say there are many more people suffering from the reaction to this virus than the virus itself. And if we DON'T reopen, the suffering will get much worse...

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

What was Dr. Fauci's warning today? He warns of "needless suffering" if the economy opens too quickly?

Thing is I would say there are many more people suffering from the reaction to this virus than the virus itself. And if we DON'T reopen, the suffering will get much worse...

Rest assured Fauci isn’t  suffering though.  

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 9

This...Lectured by people still landing paychecks into their accounts monthly or bimonthly.  One thing I have loved about hustling with Uber this past week is that I’m actually connecting with others who are hustling themselves or heading to work to save and protect lives. People heading to the doctor for preventative maintenance procedures, getting an elderly high risk patient home from his weekly dialysis appointment. Even picked up happy UNT or TWU students celebrating the end of finals. 

Yeah, there is great need out there, all kinds. I don’t judge people for wanting to stay home and re-emerge at their pace. I don’t judge those students for celebrating and probably not social distancing at a party, they just somehow stayed focused and made it through one of the most ridiculous semesters ever. Celebrate on friends you earned it. Purpose rocks.

GMG

Edited by NM Green
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Totally shutting down the NBA forever will guarantee no one gets sick

Just like shutting down roads will guarantee no one ever dies in a car wreck

Not trying to be snarky but what's the answer? I mean the only way to guarantee no one ever gets sick is to not ever have another group event again.

Difference is, we're in a pandemic.  Knowingly exposing your employees or fans with this extra risk (whether you believe "extra' at all doesn't matter) presents humongous legal implications.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rest assured Fauci isn’t  suffering though.  

Rick

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Yep. It’s Easy to suggest everyone stay home and lose their paychecks when you’re guaranteed yours.  

Is that my plot in life? The second I become financially at peace, that people will automatically assume I can't empathize?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Difference is, we're in a pandemic.  Knowingly exposing your employees or fans with this extra risk (whether you believe "extra' at all doesn't matter) presents humongous legal implications.

I think this is why you will see waivers requested.

At the same time, when you mention risk - These are the same venues that will send hundreds, if not thousands of "under the influence" drivers out on the road after hours of drinking at the games. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, greenminer said:

one of the beauties of the USA is that if you don't want to work/play/attend at a specific event, you don't have too.  we are all free to make our own decisions and do what we want. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

What scientific data point(s) are they using to discuss cancelling that far out in advance?

I don't understand the decision making there. I saw the NBA commissioner is preparing teams to play games without fans IN 2021.

Again....based on what?

Politics

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3