FIU Dissolving Men's Indoor Track

• El Paso Eagle changed the title to FIU Dissolving Men's Indoor Track
11 hours ago, greenminer said:

Does Title IX mandate that men’s/women’s sports be a specific ratio, or can you have more women’s schollies than men’s?

What T9 states in general I believe; is that the sports teams should represent the composition of the student body between genders.

Makes no sense, but because of football; it has decimated men's non-revenue sports.  As far as I know, T9 only works one way; to limit men and increase women athletes. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

What T9 states in general I believe; is that the sports teams should represent the composition of the student body between genders.

Makes no sense, but because of football; it has decimated men's non-revenue sports.  As far as I know, T9 only works one way; to limit men and increase women athletes. 

I think a better way to look at it is a count of total male athletes compared to the count of total female athletes. Because all athletes on the football team (100ish people) are all male, you need more women sports (I.e. women athletes) to match the number of men on the football team. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Snowy said:

I think a better way to look at it is a count of total male athletes compared to the count of total female athletes. Because all athletes on the football team (100ish people) are all male, you need more women sports (I.e. women athletes) to match the number of men on the football team. 

Incorrect. It is about opportunity. No number of athletes. Only scholarship athletes would be taken into account. Facilities and such also matter: NT was basically on the verge of getting sued in the early 2000s. 

• Upvote 1

Not sure the date of this research - I could not find information if any women's teams have been eliminated

As Title IX passes through its 33rd year of existence it is important to examine the other side of the equal opportunity argument that the legislation is supposed to promote. During this time frame in which strides have been made in women’s athletics, men’s athletic programs have generally suffered. More than 400 men’s athletic teams have been eliminated as a result of Universities needing to become NCAA compliant. The sports worst hit have been low revenue Olympic sports such as wrestling, swimming and track and field. This is a disturbing trend that was never intended when Title IX was introduced.

https://www.athleticscholarships.net/title-ix-college-athletics-9.htm

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Incorrect. It is about opportunity. No number of athletes. Only scholarship athletes would be taken into account. Facilities and such also matter: NT was basically on the verge of getting sued in the early 2000s. 

Getting sued by who?

The NCAA, I believe has never filed suit on any university under T9.

The threat of suits by individuals has been the problem.  

I have always wondered why someone has not filed a suit on behalf of the thousands of male athletes that no longer can compete because of the eliminations of non-revenue sports. 

• Sad 1

Just now, GrandGreen said:

Getting sued by who?

The NCAA, I believe has never filed suit on any university under T9.

The threat of suits by individuals has been the problem.  

I have always wondered why someone has not filed a suit on behalf of the thousands of male athletes that no longer can compete because of the eliminations of non-revenue sports. 

Oh please. Our women’s teams were playing on intramural fields and public parks. Do you think women are so unimportant that they shouldn’t have equal opportunities to play collegiate sports? In case you aren’t keeping score our women’s tennis and soccer teams are the best programs on campus. 
I live and die football but I just don’t understand the mentality that women should get the same chance to play sports as men. 
please explain. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Just now, 97and03 said:

Oh please. Our women’s teams were playing on intramural fields and public parks. Do you think women are so unimportant that they shouldn’t have equal opportunities to play collegiate sports? In case you aren’t keeping score our women’s tennis and soccer teams are the best programs on campus. 
I live and die football but I just don’t understand the mentality that women should get the same chance to play sports as men. 
please explain. 

I do wonder where you get your strange interpretation of my post.  

Why do you equate being fair to men athletes as being the same as being unfair to women athletes?  

I definitely think women should get equal opportunity.  The issue is there is no equivalent sport for football in terms of popularity, financial impact and promotion of the University. 

So the effect of T9, to make up for the large number of athletes required in football: men's teams are dropped and women's teams are added.   Guess that seems fine to you, but not so much to men athletes in non-revenue sports. 

31 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

please explain. 

I think most people are in agreement with the basic premise of Title 9 - However I think there should be a tweak made to account for Football. When it began, do you think the plan was to eliminate men's sports? Most programs seem to come with unforeseen consequences, sadly to this day the elimination of men's teams has been consider an acceptable "causality" in the goal of providing opportunities for women.

• Upvote 1