Softball coronavirus

It was my understanding that the NCAA would allow an extra year for softball players because of the coronavirus.

Just posted on the official site is a farewell piece on the departing seniors.

Apparently, NT did not want the extra costs of carrying the seniors plus the incoming players. 

A cost saving measure I assume, but for one of NT's best programs.

The seniors deserve more IMO. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 6

17 hours ago, SUMG said:

Your assumption is wrong. It came out last week....that all 8 of our seniors.....decided not to return. They want to go on to their careers. Our school was willing to pay for their extra year. (Must be noted that softball players don't all get full scholarships.....not sure if any do. So if the gals had come back....they would have had to pay some of their own way. But our school was willing to pay what they had been paying.)

https://dentonrc.com/rsssports/unt-softball-seniors-walking-away-with-fond-memories-after-deciding-to-not-take-advantage-of/article_78a7309b-b4b7-585e-8b32-1e65e7b061a3.html

Thanks, odd that not one wanted an extra year. 

• Eye Roll 2

44 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I guess it just comes down to the individual. Even some well known athletes at other schools are hanging it up (Megan Kleist for example).

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, LongJim said:

I'll never get the tendency to automatically assume the worst scenario for this program.  Years of frustration, I guess.  But I just don't get it.

Yeah, I have been assuming the worse for decades.   That is why I donate and have season tickets. 

Perhaps if I lived in Denton, I would get more information and not make such a tragic error.   

Seems you don't mind thinking the worse of the fans.  

Edited by GrandGreen

7 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I guess it just comes down to the individual. Even some well known athletes at other schools are hanging it up (Megan Kleist for example).

I was surprised when Kee was running off most of the players.  Even the stars that quit, didn't transfer, they just didn't play. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Yeah, I have been assuming the worse for decades.   That is why I donate and have season tickets. 

Perhaps if I lived in Denton, I would get more information and not make such a tragic error.   

Seems you don't mind thinking the worse of the fans.  

I'm not doubting anyone's bonafides. 

I'm sorry if you took my comment personally.  I intended it as a general observation.

Regardless, the (not your) attitude baffles me, and it's self-defeating, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 7:34 PM, GrandGreen said:

I don’t think it is odd if they earned degrees. I don’t think they planned to stay another year to up their draft stock. They played hard for the school and got a degree in return. Time to start a career and real life. Some may already have Jon offers. 

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I don’t think it is odd if they earned degrees. I don’t think they planned to stay another year to up their draft stock. They played hard for the school and got a degree in return. Time to start a career and real life. Some may already have Jon offers. 

Ummm...

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, 97and03 said:

It is not odd that any particular lady did not want an extra year of competition.   

However, it still seems odd to me that the entire senior class made that decision.

NT has already signed a couple of grad transfers, so it is not like every female athlete chooses to exist sports as quickly as possible. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

It is not odd that any particular lady did not want an extra year of competition.   

However, it still seems odd to me that the entire senior class made that decision.

NT has already signed a couple of grad transfers, so it is not like every female athlete chooses to exist sports as quickly as possible. 

Looks like they made the decisions to move on and had opportunities waiting. I wish them well.

• Upvote 1