Jalie hires UT's Jamie Cary

Harry

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Great hire!

Really hoping Jalie will finally get a healthy season out of her ladies this year & looking forward to getting Lampkin on the floor!

I see them as a 5-6 seed average, and possibly a 4 if they can shoot better down the stretch

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cooley said:

Why would they want to bring someone back that already quit on them after one year? Good riddance. 

Yeah, coaches leaving for their dream job is a fatal flaw.  Jones left the same year I believe for LSU, down on him too?  Or does he get a pass because he was not offered after the first year?  My guess he would have left just as fast as Aston if he got that offer in year 2.

Not many coaches are going to stay in CUSA with opportunities in the B12 and SEC after one year or twenty. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Yeah, coaches leaving for their dream job is a fatal flaw.  Jones left the same year I believe for LSU, down on him too?  Or does he get a pass because he was not offered after the first year?  My guess he would have left just as fast as Aston if he got that offer in year 2.

Not many coaches are going to stay in CUSA with opportunities in the B12 and SEC after one year or twenty. 

Johnny Jones had been the head coach here for about 11 years. Longer than any other men’s coach since the 60’s. LSU was his alma mater. He had taken this program as far as anyone could have imagined and left the next guy with something to work with.  I also don’t remember him lying in the interview and/or press conference) about wanting to be closer to parents when he took the job;  then relocating further away a year later. I’m all in on wanting  a quality coach but how could you ever trust her again? What if Baylor calls the next year? A&M? Hell, SMU? I’m passing. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Cooley said:

Johnny Jones had been the head coach here for about 11 years. Longer than any other men’s coach since the 60’s. LSU was his alma mater. He had taken this program as far as anyone could have imagined and left the next guy with something to work with.  I also don’t remember him lying in the interview and/or press conference) about wanting to be closer to parents when he took the job;  then relocating further away a year later. I’m all in on wanting  a quality coach but how could you ever trust her again? What if Baylor calls the next year? A&M? Hell, SMU? I’m passing. 

Unfortunately as a g5 just about any coach NT gets is going to take a more prestigious job which more than doubles their pay.  

By the way Aston left a lot of great recruits after only one year. So she did leave it better than it was,.  

Of course she followed one of the worst coaches anywhere at anytime in Stephens.  After she left, NT hired Petersen, better than Stephens; but still a poor pick.

By the way Aston IMO is a much better coach than Johnny Jones.   I doubt she has any trouble finding a new job. 

Idle thoughts:

"Quitting" is abandoning your program/team even when no other options are out there.  I know there is some wiggle room to this, but not enough to throw this label on someone who was given an opportunity to go to UT from UNT.

I took piano from a UNT professor who was on staff for only one year.  What did he leave for? Northwestern.  I asked him why he was leaving (We are the UNT College of Music, after all!) ,and he said it was the opportunity to work with members of the Chicago Symphony (which are on staff at Northwestern).  It was understandable.  I never felt like the guy was giving up on me.

Edited by greenminer
  • Thanks 1