NCAA makes landmark decision on likeness

El Paso Eagle

While I am in agreement that the players should get compensation (even though the "old school" in me thinks the scholarships and the additional benefits are starting to be overlooked), leaving the potential earning "uncapped" will lead to problems. I believe this will be a Pandora's Box. P5 programs will use this to widen the gap with the G5 schools. If the trend to transfer from G5 to P5 was not increasing before this, i think we might see more players take advantage if they feel they can make more money. This might be the "straw that breaks the Camel's back" for Amateur sports.

Link to Footballscoop.com article

https://footballscoop.com/news/ncaa-board-of-governors-moves-a-step-closer-to-allowing-student-athletes-to-profit-off-name-image-and-likeness/

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

While I am in agreement that the players should get compensation (even though the "old school" in me thinks the scholarships and the additional benefits are starting to be overlooked), leaving the potential earning "uncapped" will lead to problems. I believe this will be a Pandora's Box. P5 programs will use this to widen the gap with the G5 schools. If the trend to transfer from G5 to P5 was not increasing before this, i think we might see more players take advantage if they feel they can make more money. This might be the "straw that breaks the Camel's back" for Amateur sports.

Link to Footballscoop.com article

https://footballscoop.com/news/ncaa-board-of-governors-moves-a-step-closer-to-allowing-student-athletes-to-profit-off-name-image-and-likeness/

I don't see any way that this doesn't help the Top 30 programs continue to pull away from the rest.

• Upvote 4

I don’t see this as a bad thing. Taking power away from shady boosters will help everyone. If you want G5 schools to get a chance to compete you need to give more power to the athletes and change the status quo. The system as it stands now only benefits the blue bloods and the power conferences. But if the NCAA is initiating this I doubt they’re doing this out of a sense of “doing the right thing” 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 3

New recruiting strategy for Texas schools -

Your new stream of Revenue will be taxed less in Texas!!!

Just wonder how long it will take before one/some of these athletes end up getting in deep water over taxes and then sues his/her school/former school for not protecting him/her? 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I don’t see this as a bad thing. Taking power away from shady boosters will help everyone. If you want G5 schools to get a chance to compete you need to give more power to the athletes and change the status quo. The system as it stands now only benefits the blue bloods and the power conferences. But if the NCAA is initiating this I doubt they’re doing this out of a sense of “doing the right thing” 

If anything it brings the "payments" out in the open. For the NCAA to say they earnings are uncapped give big dollar boosters an opportunity to openly bid for and pay players to attend their schools. Hope I am wrong.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

How would it bring payments out in the open? I read some of the restrictions and it stated boosters can’t use endorsements as a means of payment or admission. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Let's say a booster owns a car dealership. The athlete can be hired to come there for a promotion (looks like they will not be able to wear actual replica jersey with school or conference logos) and openly be paid for their services. How will they say that that person cannot "hire" that athlete? The intentions might be right but to blindly think that this cannot quickly get out of hand is naive.

• Upvote 2

I see what you’re saying in that case. I would still prefer that then Just having that booster pay them under the table with cash in a brown paper bag...tax free. No one knows the full details of this thing yet so I’ll give you that, could be good could be bad. I’m a firm believer in capitalism and this scam the NCAA has been running needs to come to an end.   

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 2

AGENTS - Players will be allowed to hire agents. Leigh Steinberg told ESPN believes the agent selection process could now begin in high school.

The NCAA is still working on the "safe guards" but now that they are allowing athletes to have business agents you can bet every loophole will be exploited. Tell me how this is not going to blow up?

P5 schools with big money alums will feast on this. How long until we see our first "millionaire"? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

Ha.  That's the only thing that went through my mind.. "Does this mean we will finally be getting NCAA football 2021?"

Per the ESPN article, no

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29113592/players-getting-paid-video-games-returning-answering-your-ncaa-name-image-likeness-questions

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

Listening to sports radio this morning and they are already suggesting that this will open the way for mega rich boosters (they gave the example of Nike and Phil Knight) to have an open way to basically pay for a stacked college team. They even commented that you might see schools that have not been relevant making moves if they have boosters who can afford to pay the players 

I wonder how long until the top tier P5 programs decide they want their own 20 to 30 team mega league? Maybe it's time for football to do something like the G league in basketball 

• Upvote 1

Wondering if donors could now direct their scholarship donations to players not receiving outside monies? Some of these kids will be making more than the donors that are helping pay for their scholarships. Question...no answer.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 1