WHICH WILL HAPPEN FIRST?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. WHICH WILL HAPPEN FIRST?

• CUSA AND THE SUNBELT WILL DO A MERGER
    • UNT WILL JOIN THE MWC
    • UNT WILL JOIN THE AAC
    • OTHER

2 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

My friend told me when he went on a campus visit at UTSA (Totally unaware of their facilities), he was in shock because he thought their main gym was their rec center and the guide told him that it was a multi-purpose facility. In the end, he came to UNT

What’s worse is they’re a conference “peer” It Hurts Saul Goodman GIF by Better Call Saul

• Upvote 3

I have long been a MWC advocate but given the turmoil and financial losses currently, the only thing that makes sense is regional realignment. Just can’t justify playing volleyball and soccer in Hawaii given millions in budget shortfalls. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, MrAlien said:

AAC would be the popular move, but with SMU 40 min away that might be dificult

MWC makes better sense, at least the way things are now, I think the conference would love the exposure to the DFW market, I also think its a competition upgrade for all the sports. 

It would take less time to drive from Duke to NC State to UNC than it would to drive from NT to SMU.     The proximity can work.

The only problem is, if in the event Tulsa had to go, would the AAC want North Texas over a program with more sustained success over a longer period of time like LATech?   Or a team that recently made noise in the NCAA Tournament in WKU/MTSU?   

We're our own worst enemy when it comes to desirability from these other conferences, and this past football season's 4-8 record looks very bad (thankfully MBB took up the slack).   We need that 4-8 season to immediately turn around to at least an 8-4 season (preferably with a bowl WIN) to show we're still sustaining our recent success and that last year was simply an anomaly.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It would take less time to drive from Duke to NC State to UNC than it would to drive from NT to SMU.     The proximity can work.

The only problem is, if in the event Tulsa had to go, would the AAC want North Texas over a program with more sustained success over a longer period of time like LATech?   Or a team that recently made noise in the NCAA Tournament in WKU/MTSU?   

We're our own worst enemy when it comes to desirability from these other conferences, and this past football season's 4-8 record looks very bad (thankfully MBB took up the slack).   We need that 4-8 season to immediately turn around to at least an 8-4 season (preferably with a bowl WIN) to show we're still sustaining our recent success and that last year was simply an anomaly.

WKU has been winning championships in other sports minus MBB lol 

It would make sense for a program like us with SO much potential and amazing facilities, to be in a conference with some great teams and a good TV deal

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Financial problems?

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/education/university-of-tulsa-trustees-hold-fast-to-financial-hard-line/article_49ec9d32-2bd6-50d4-8f31-fac13e931821.html

Keep  in mind, UT was having problems even before Coronavirus; here's an article from a year ago: 

https://www.city-journal.org/university-of-tulsa

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, SMUleopold said:

Hmmm, not the University that I assumed they were. But then, for years I thought that they were a state school, much like U of H. I was surprised to find out that they were a private school, much like Rice. And I also assumed that they had strong ties to the Oil industry and were therefore mostly an Engineering school.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, SilverEagle said:

Hmmm, not the University that I assumed they were. But then, for years I thought that they were a state school, much like U of H. I was surprised to find out that they were a private school, much like Rice. And I also assumed that they had strong ties to the Oil industry and were therefore mostly an Engineering school.

If I recall, their AD and/or coaches had to take pay cuts a few years ago bc of their poor financial state. 

• Upvote 3

110 Liberty 17047.20 68.19% NR
109 Akron 17224.00 57.41% 124
108 Texas State 17489.20 58.30% 103
107 UNLV 17541.20 47.67% 110

106 Buffalo 17616.60 60.72% 105
105 Georgia Southern 17733.00 70.93% 107
104 Western Michigan 18616.60 61.64% 106
103 Tulsa 18812.00 62.71% 101
102 Troy 19254.20 64.18% 99
101 Wyoming 19683.80 67.45% 102

100 Nevada 19687.20 65.62% 90
99 North Texas 19699.40 63.86% 104
98 Ohio 19729.00 82.20% 95
97 Rice 19770.40 42.06% 100
96 Utah State 19958.00 79.51% 96
95 Old Dominion 20021.00 99.52% 97
94 Louisiana 20379.40 49.19% 89
93 Toledo 20551.00 78.31% 98
92 New Mexico 20704.60 52.79% 91
91 SMU 21122.00 66.01% 93

AND here we are in attendance vs Tulsa. The numbers were compiled at the end of the 2019 season and represent the average of the last five years. The last number is the previous years standing.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/07/college-football-attendance-rankings-no-1-130-2019-cfn-five-year-program-analysis

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

18 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

So which is untrue? Because here is how Tulsa has done recently in the NFL draft.

YEAR ROUND PICK PLAYER
2020 4 17 Reggie Robinson
2020 5 9 Trevis Gipson
2011 6 9 Charles Clay
2008 7 21 Chris Chamberlain

Probably recruiting and beating big teams😂 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

AND here we are in attendance vs Tulsa. The numbers were compiled at the end of the 2019 season and represent the average of the last five years. The last number is the previous years standing.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/07/college-football-attendance-rankings-no-1-130-2019-cfn-five-year-program-analysis

Look at SMU's numbers and you can tell this list is BS

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I feel like we are constantly trying to sell our “potential”....I agree with you, if we could only get out of our own way. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I have long been a MWC advocate but given the turmoil and financial losses currently, the only thing that makes sense is regional realignment. Just can’t justify playing volleyball and soccer in Hawaii given millions in budget shortfalls. 

Hawaii is a football only member.

• Upvote 2

Exactly.  Personally I see getting to Vegas and San Diego and Albuquerque And Denver just as easy as getting to Hattiesburg, Jonesboro and mobile. 
GMG

• Thanks 2

The whole state of Wyoming supports UW, they’re a strong brand and the campus and area are amazing. Interested to see how North Texas is going to handle the elevation when they play there. My hope is that the MWC drops San Jose State but seeing as they’re the only G5 school in the Bay Area, it probably isn’t going to happen. 

9 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

The whole state of Wyoming supports UW, they’re a strong brand and the campus and area are amazing. Interested to see how North Texas is going to handle the elevation when they play there. My hope is that the MWC drops San Jose State but seeing as they’re the only G5 school in the Bay Area, it probably isn’t going to happen. 

The NM Bowl showed that we couldn’t