NCAA Will Not Relax Minimum Sport Requirement For D1

MCMLXXX

5 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Like always the NCAA will lead from the back.

After multiple programs are dropped, maybe the NCAA might actually look at ways to reduce cost. 

why leave it to NCAA, the conferences and schools should be leading the charge to be more regional and reduce costs

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

The NCAA does not pick conferences.

They do mandate 16 sports and scholarship numbers for all sports.

that's fine and the number of sports should not change, my response was to the initial quote, which seemed to talk of lowering costs, which more regional conferences would do that. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, untbowler said:

that's fine and the number of sports should not change, my response was to the initial quote, which seemed to talk of lowering costs, which more regional conferences would do that. 

Just curious why do you think universities should be mandated to have 16 sports?

Seems at least on a temporary basis with every universities set to lose millions of dollars, that would be preferable to abandoning all sports or dropping down from D! because supporting 16 sports is impossible. 

Most DI programs are possible because of student fees and tuition.  Do you really think these students are going to continue to provide this support at a time they are learning on-line and have no games to attend?

College athletes are going to have to cutback like most everything else in this virus economy.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

I think some schools will be forced  to drop back to 1AA. The one that comes to mind is La. Monroe. I think their athletic budget is somewhere around $10 to $15 million, and without football/basketball revenue this fall I don't see how they maintain 1A status. Having said that, I have always been amazed how competitive the Louisiana 1A programs like La. Tech and ULL have been with fewer financial resources than schools like UNT. They seem to be able to do more with less.

Edited by wardly
spelling
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, wardly said:

I think some schools will be forced  to drop back to 1AA. The one that comes to mind is La. Monroe. I think their athletic budget is somewhere around $10 to $15 million, and without football/basketball revenue this fall I don't see how they maintain 1A status. Having said that, I have always been amazed how competitive the Louisiana 1A programs like La. Tech and ULL have been with fewer financial resources than schools like UNT. They seem to be able to do more with less.

I have said it before, LaTech is a program that  would love it if we could model ourselves after. Year after year they are competitive and they have put a steady stream of players into the NFL.

Also could not agree more on ULL and Tech being competitive with the budgets they have. Would be nice to figure out the formula. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, wardly said:

Having said that, I have always been amazed how competitive the Louisiana 1A programs like La. Tech and ULL have been with fewer financial resources than schools like UNT. They seem to be able to do more with less.

I think for ULM admission standards are very low.

https://www.prepscholar.com/sat/s/colleges/University-of-Louisiana-at-Monroe-SAT-scores-GPA

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 1

Here's an article with more detail on the decision against a blanket drop in total number of required sports. 

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/ncaa-blanket-waiver-cutting-sports-will-not-be-considered

1. Individual schools can still make the request. There is a history of schools in emergency situations - after natural disasters, etc. - doing so. But they have always been required to bring the total number BACK in a few years. 

. The D1 Counsel is made up of people directly involved at colleges. It's AD, Coaches, Presidents, Conference Commissioners and even some student athletes. Here is the current list. 

http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/committees_roster.jsp?CommitteeName=1COUNCIL

• Upvote 1