Who as the last UNT player drafted by the NFL?

untjim1995

The next time @Brett Vito writes a draft article and mentions the drought, please link back to this thread. 

We have three members that have been registered on this forum for a combined 46 years trying to remember the details of who, when, and what round our last draftee entered the NFL. 

For the 99% of people reading Vito writings that follow North Texas even less closely than the people here do, that "UNT hasn't had a player drafted since..." is an important detail that almost nobody knows, and answers a relevant question begged by the presence of future articles on potential draftees. 

Vito does, indeed, need to mention it when he writes articles about UNT and the NFL draft. 

A little trivia for you younger Mean Greenies.  In 1969 Joe Greene was a first round draft pick.  In 1970 Cedrick Hardman was a first round draft choice and in 1970 Leonard Dunlap was a first round draft choice.  We have dropped off considerably since then.  Greene went to Pittsburg, Hardman went to San Francisco and Dunlap went to Baltimore.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

The next time @Brett Vito writes a draft article and mentions the drought, please link back to this thread. 

We have three members that have been registered on this forum for a combined 46 years trying to remember the details of who, when, and what round our last draftee entered the NFL. 

For the 99% of people reading Vito writings that follow North Texas even less closely than the people here do, that "UNT hasn't had a player drafted since..." is an important detail that almost nobody knows, and answers a relevant question begged by the presence of future articles on potential draftees. 

Vito does, indeed, need to mention it when he writes articles about UNT and the NFL draft. 

GMG needs to have a pinned link to the most recent media guide each season in the football and basketball forums.

Easiest way to answer any of these random questions to the board at large and the trivia game of replies that follows.

https://meangreensports.com/documents/2019/8/19/2019_Fact_and_Record_Book_with_cover.pdf

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Arguably the best nose tackle in UNT history, Brandon Kennedy,  was not drafted and was never offered as a free agent?  Is this correct?  Too short, I guess.  Leverage doesn't count?

If I recall correctly his senior year was a slight letdown as he was pretty beat up and not in prime shape.   I don't have the stats in front of me though, so I'll be happy to be corrected.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Arguably the best nose tackle in UNT history, Brandon Kennedy,  was not drafted and was never offered as a free agent?  Is this correct?  Too short, I guess.  Leverage doesn't count?

Booger went to camp with the Broncos( I think as a favor to his brother Kenoy Kennedy) & later had a short stint with the Lions.

• Upvote 2

Yesterday, the Musers were recounting the draft. In addition to discussing the Big 12, the mentioned $mut had a player drafted, and even Old Dominion, but no NT player. But hey, any pub is good pub, right?  

There is an obvious stigma or bias against NT in the pros. If nothing else, the GMs know that our players will be available to sign as free agents, so they will be cheap. This HAS to change. Hire an ambassador to the NFL. But someone needs to get in the ear of the GMs. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

An ambassador to the NFL? Wow...that would make us look incredibly b**ch made. 😐. I’m sorry there is no bias, these contracts are not going to be finalized unless they make the team so what are you talking about getting them for cheap? You can get drafted in the 5th round doesn’t mean you’re going to make the team and sign contract. 🤨

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

There is an obvious stigma or bias against NT in the pros. If nothing else, the GMs know that our players will be available to sign as free agents, so they will be cheap. This HAS to change. Hire an ambassador to the NFL. But someone needs to get in the ear of the GMs. 

We have had several players that were FA steals.  None that demonstrated high performance output with the tangibles that had NFL teams drooling at the chance to draft.

We need to keep doing what we're doing.  Working towards getting that first bowl win, building our brand, and striving for next-tier players that break this trend.  Players that we can coach and develop into little-or-no risk NFL investments.

• Thanks 2

Brandon Kennedy was one of the best college players to ever play and he was not drafted.   Olawale was not drafted, but has a nice NFL career and barely played in college. 

It probably would help in recruiting if NT sent more players to the pros, but on a personal level; I don't care much about anything in the pros. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

An ambassador to the NFL? Wow...that would make us look incredibly b**ch made. 😐. I’m sorry there is no bias, these contracts are not going to be finalized unless they make the team so what are you talking about getting them for cheap? You can get drafted in the 5th round doesn’t mean you’re going to make the team and sign contract. 🤨

I don't give a shit what you call it. But we need to have a staff member that gets our players onto the radars of scouts and GMs. Getting them for cheap means they sign for less money as a UDFA than as a draft pick. 

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

3 hours ago, Rudy said:

I don't give a shit what you call it. But we need to have a staff member that gets our players onto the radars of scouts and GMs. Getting them for cheap means they sign for less money as a UDFA than as a draft pick. 

Can you imagine some unknown guy parading around the NFL, trying to smooch it up with their talent evaluators and telling them how awesome those Mean Green players are? lol Do other NCAA teams have this kind position on their payroll? Because, I'm kinda with Salsa on this: seems like we'd be begging.

IMO, only one person right now could do it and we'd keep our integrity.  Mean Jo Greene.  He has the respect of the league.  Anyone else, and I think we come across as a salesman that won't go away, trying to sell you his vacuum cleaner when you work in an office with stained concrete. 

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

DeSoto High had 2 kids to go in the first 3 rounds, in football. A Grand Prairie kid (SGP) went #3 overall.

Dallas area will have 3 kids to go in the 1st round of the upcoming NBA draft next month. 

Yet we’ll be  voting Tina Slinker and Derek Thompson into the UNT Hall.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2

11 hours ago, Rudy said:

You don’t think our players are on the radar of GM’s?  

You can get drafted in the 5th round doesn’t mean you’re going to make the team and sign contract. 🤨[/quote]

They sign a contract prior to stepping on an NFL practice field  

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1