Article on Mason's Current Status

Green Crazy

3 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

No speed. Did you see his 80 TD TD again the entire UTSA team. Did it pulling away. He is not the fastest in the league, but fast enough to play QB

Against a 105th ranked rushing defense, nice run against a crappy defense. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 5

14 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Against a 105th ranked rushing defense, nice run against a crappy defense. 

His point wasn't that he made a good run against a good defense,  but the he wasn't caught by anyone on the defense.  It was in regards to his speed.  

To be fair, that was a few leg "injuries" and pounds ago.  He's probably a little slower.

• Upvote 3

Crazy someone gave me the laughing emoji in the draft thread for saying a lack of rookie mini camps would hurt him before the article. The lack of rookie mini camps (and teams signing a boatload of UDFA) absolutely hurts him. Rookie mini camp would have started in a week or two for most teams. Remember that we had six guys invited to NFL camps last season, six.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

His point wasn't that he made a good run against a good defense,  but the he wasn't caught by anyone on the defense.  It was in regards to his speed.  

To be fair, that was a few leg "injuries" and pounds ago.  He's probably a little slower.

Took probably several hundred hits because the OL played Olay half the time 

Big reason why he was injured 3-4 times a year 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Took probably several hundred hits because the OL played Olay half the time 

Big reason why he was injured 3-4 times a year 

I will stand by opinion that he was left out there for stats many times with the game decided and got crushed for it. I think the injuries  took a toll and he was a shell of himself his senior year.

• Upvote 7
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

32 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I will stand by opinion that he was left out there for stats many times with the game decided and got crushed for it. I think the injuries  took a toll and he was a shell of himself his senior year.

Totally agree with you regarding leaving Fine in games that were already decided.  Would have been nice to see some of our backups getting quality time.

I'm thinking Seth left Fine in to benefit Seth.  Let us not forget the "Fine for Heisman" campaign, and the previous Kansas State adventure.  And the fact that prior to the New Mexico Bowl, Seth was smoozing up in New York.  Shouldn't he have been with the team practicing?

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

5 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

There was clearly a significant amount of turmoil in the locker room from the coaching blunders last year that affected the product on the field, which I think significantly hurt his chances of getting drafted.  Like I said earlier, I never thought in a million years those failings would also affect his status as a UDFA.

Not so clear to me, but guess I don't have the insight into the locker

room that you do. 

Fine's physical dimensions made him a long shot.   He is short and not particularly fast.  Plus he played injured in a lot of the games. 

Pros don't limit their scouting to the P5's.   Thinking Fine would have done better somewhere else is IMO faulty analysis. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Not so clear to me, but guess I don't have the insight into the locker

room that you do.

Because it's typical to fire a new offensive coordinator after one year?  I'm just inferring based on the actions of the administration.

Fine's physical dimensions made him a long shot.   He is short and not particularly fast.  Plus he played injured in a lot of the games. 

Injuries come from a sustained beating from a bad line.  No one is going to take him expecting him to play right away. Hell most teams that would take him probably expect him to be a career backup.  Injury issues are not as important in that case.  Talent and attitude are much more important.  As for his height, yeah, we knew that was an issue, but he's still the active leader in passing yards in the NCAA.

Pros don't limit their scouting to the P5's.   Thinking Fine would have done better somewhere else is IMO faulty analysis. 

If you look at other small school QBs that increased their marketability in the NFL, transferring to a P5 school has helped and I bet, if we have football in the fall, D'Eriq King may have helped himself into a better situation (assuming he plays well).  Russell Wilson is the perfect example, NC State to Wisconsin.  This also shows a player's ability to adapt to new schemes. 

The argument then becomes that Mason wasn't able to adapt to Bodie's new schemes and concepts, but based on the backward slide for the entire offense with similar levels of talent, I think this is an issue of the coaching being the problem (either Bodie, SL, or both), not the talent.  At the end of the day, who knows what could have happened if he transferred.  I'm about to post something in this thread from a podcast that goes into some detail about why clubs aren't taking risks on UDFAs right now with heavy emphasis on the fact that we don't even know if we're going to have a football season.  I think we will, but giving a contract to riskier players, especially if stadium attendance is down next year because of fears of the virus (which assumes stadiums even open), they may also just not be throwing money around willy nilly like they usually do.

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Crazy someone gave me the laughing emoji in the draft thread for saying a lack of rookie mini camps would hurt him before the article. The lack of rookie mini camps (and teams signing a boatload of UDFA) absolutely hurts him. Rookie mini camp would have started in a week or two for most teams. Remember that we had six guys invited to NFL camps last season, six.

Have to agree, no pro day probably hurt a lot of guys as well. If you came from a small school and drafted you they probably had been watching you for a while. Seems like very few surprises in the draft this year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, peanuts104 said:

Because it's typical to fire a new offensive coordinator after one year?  I'm just inferring based on the actions of the administration.

Injuries come from a sustained beating from a bad line.  No one is going to take him expecting him to play right away. Hell most teams that would take him probably expect him to be a career backup.  Injury issues are not as important in that case.  Talent and attitude are much more important.  As for his height, yeah, we knew that was an issue, but he's still the active leader in passing yards in the NCAA.

If you look at other small school QBs that increased their marketability in the NFL, transferring to a P5 school has helped and I bet, if we have football in the fall, D'Eriq King may have helped himself into a better situation (assuming he plays well).  Russell Wilson is the perfect example, NC State to Wisconsin.  This also shows a player's ability to adapt to new schemes. 

The argument then becomes that Mason wasn't able to adapt to Bodie's new schemes and concepts, but based on the backward slide for the entire offense with similar levels of talent, I think this is an issue of the coaching being the problem (either Bodie, SL, or both), not the talent.  At the end of the day, who knows what could have happened if he transferred.  I'm about to post something in this thread from a podcast that goes into some detail about why clubs aren't taking risks on UDFAs right now with heavy emphasis on the fact that we don't even know if we're going to have a football season.  I think we will, but giving a contract to riskier players, especially if stadium attendance is down next year because of fears of the virus (which assumes stadiums even open), they may also just not be throwing money around willy nilly like they usually do.

The Dallas Cowboys likely saw plenty of Mason and drafted an FCS QB from a Virginia school. Kind of counter to your argument. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

The Dallas Cowboys likely saw plenty of Mason and drafted an FCS QB from a Virginia school. Kind of counter to your argument. 

First, Jerry makes terrible decisions. They wanted to take Paxton Lynch over Dak.  I really don't give a flying f uck what the Cowgirls do because the front office is absolutely stupid. Second, I think that draft pick is based on Dak, who is not a prototypical QB.  DiNucci is a mobile QB with a similar style and build to Dak.  I think Mason is better and I think he would serve as a better backup but that's not my call. Teams tend to get back ups that simulate what the starter does.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 10

8 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

First, Jerry makes terrible decisions. They wanted to take Paxton Lynch over Dak.  I really don't give a flying f uck what the Cowgirls do because the front office is absolutely stupid. Second, I think that draft pick is based on Dak, who is not a prototypical QB.  DiNucci is a mobile QB with a similar style and build to Dak.  I think Mason is better and I think he would serve as a better backup but that's not my call. Teams tend to get back ups that simulate what the starter does.

Nah. We absolutely should care what the Cowboys think because they are a pretty average NFL organization. You can go through the entire league. Which teams should we give this flying f uck about? I mean, that just strengthens my argument that getting an UDFA contract is the best thing for him because he has some control over his future. 

The Patriots are the gold standard but some of that is because the rest of the AFC East sucks and makes stupid decisions. But they get Draft picks, too, so we need to care about what those terrible organizations think about a player. 

The Giants suck, and also the Washington squad. The Bears, and Lions are laughable. The Packers have Aaron Rodgers and that has been holding them up for a while. The Vikings though the "You Like That" guy was the answer. The Bengals and Browns are jokes. The Ravens have their future and the Steelers have their rapis- guy. 

We could go on. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

On 4/27/2020 at 8:40 AM, LongJim said:

Hey, how do you think King will do this year with the Hurricanes?

He should excel, he has an it factor. As for us, we have a guy who is the younger brother of a certain well-known UNT quarterback who is finally getting the FULL reigns of the offense. 

I think you remember quite well during our game in Denton last year where he dominated including that 60 yard qb keeper.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

15 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

However, Jerry didn't take Lynch. And didn't the entire NFL pass on Dak the first 4 rounds? Jerry decided to take a chance on Dak though.

The point is 32 teams passed on Fine. Are they all stupid or do they all notice something similar? It has zero to do with him as a person, character, work ethic, or anything else other than do they believe, with all the wealth of football knowledge in the NFL, if he is someone they can get up to speed to be a QB for their team. 

Fine worked out with the Saints, right? Sean Peyton who certainly is familiar with NT, convinced the Cowboys to get Romo, yet didn't go after Fine himself. Why? He is a great coach too.

I hope Fine gets a chance but there are lots and lots of great college players that never play on Sundays. 

• Upvote 4

I know this may not be popular, but could he grad transfer to a P5 program that really needs a QB like a TCU? That way he can show what he can do at that level. I know I would only like to see him in Mean Green, but at some point you have to do what's best for you.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Venson said:

I know this may not be popular, but could he grad transfer to a P5 program that really needs a QB like a TCU? That way he can show what he can do at that level. I know I would only like to see him in Mean Green, but at some point you have to do what's best for you.

firefly GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Venson said:

I think Mason used up all of his eligibility. 

• Upvote 3