Article on Mason's Current Status

Green Crazy

This reflects so poorly on our latest year under the 2 million dollar man. We can't even get one of the greatest players in UNT history, one of the best QBs in the past few years of NCAA football drafted.

I know I'll get flak for saying it, but he SHOULD have transferred elsewhere for his own sake. We dragged him down as much as he pulled us up.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 7
  • Downvote 27

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I would say this is more on his agent than Seth.  Then again, this "pandemic" isn't helping either.  I think he'll get a shot and he has proven many times that that is all he needs.

Speaking of his agent, did she only have three players she represents in the draft?  Did any of them get drafted?

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2888825-undrafted-free-agents-2020-mason-fine-rumors-predictions-for-signed-players

The 49ers could still be an option if they look to move on from third-string quarterback C.J. Beathard.

Fine, who passed for 3,088 yards and 29 touchdowns last season with nine interceptions, is likely to get a look somewhere.

Not over yet.

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

47 minutes ago, GBarksdale said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2888825-undrafted-free-agents-2020-mason-fine-rumors-predictions-for-signed-players

The 49ers could still be an option if they look to move on from third-string quarterback C.J. Beathard.

Fine, who passed for 3,088 yards and 29 touchdowns last season with nine interceptions, is likely to get a look somewhere.

Not over yet.

This is what I was thinking.   

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

33 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

Mason Fine was always going to be a long shot in the draft. His size is still an issue for everyone. UNT only failed him in that it couldn't get to bigger games against tougher competition where he could have more game tape against NFL talent. 

In the games against good and physical defenses, he struggled in the ways that concern the analysts: seeing the field, throwing under pressure, and making difficult throws (UAB, UTSA (with Davenport), Troy, Utah State, FAU). 

His best option was always getting a FA deal, and finding some place where there is a good culture of development. 

I mean, Kellen Moore had a bigger resume and more name recognition and also went undrafted. 

Good post 

I like Mason Fine a lot but he is too injury prone and also doesn’t have a lot of running speed.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I would say this is more on his agent than Seth.  Then again, this "pandemic" isn't helping either.  I think he'll get a shot and he has proven many times that that is all he needs.

In hindsight, I 100% agree that Mason should have transferred.  Obviously staying hurt his NFL prospects.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 9

3 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Speaking of his agent, did she only have three players she represents in the draft?  Did any of them get drafted?

No.  But she doesn't really have a stable of clients.  The biggest are Blake Jarwin and Alex Collins.  She also represents Guyton and Johnny Quinn.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

In hindsight, I 100% agree that Mason should have transferred.  Obviously staying hurt his NFL prospects.

I mean, it's the unpopular opinion as everyone likes to say loyalty is all that matters. But if I had a "chance" at millions and lost it because of my loyalty, that loyalty isn't going to keep me warm at night.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I don't get that opinion.  How did North Texas fail Mason Fine?

There was clearly a significant amount of turmoil in the locker room from the coaching blunders last year that affected the product on the field, which I think significantly hurt his chances of getting drafted.  Like I said earlier, I never thought in a million years those failings would also affect his status as a UDFA.

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2