Good take on Mason

6 hours ago, agw0038 said:

Also, our program has not had enough sustained success for scouts to trust our players. Of course, first round draft picks are first round draft picks, but sustained success is a big deal at the G5 level. 

I will respectfully disagree.  The pros are all about measurables.  As noted above, Charlotte had three players selected and the QB from FIU was selected and they haven't had any success to speak of.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Fair point, what i wrote earlier was an over simplification. I feel like our best guys have been bubble prospects, where it could go either way. In those situations i do think  program's sustained success does play a role. I think the guys from our conference that were drafted over the weekend were always going to get drafted. I think the speculation with those guys was when, not if, like with Mason or Hambone.

Edited by agw0038
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Makes sense. Honestly, my take is that after the fifth round they might be better off not getting drafted. They now have options and are able to pick a situation that fits them best. Best of luck to Hamilton, Fine and Woodworth. Wonder if Lawrence signs anywhere?  

• Upvote 3

Simply put, we have guys like Mason that outperform their ratings and their measurables.  That isn’t what the NFL is really looking for when there are 100s of successful players that do have the measurable qualities they seek. That doesn’t mean the NFL is correct, but it is the truth. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Simply put, we have guys like Mason that outperform their ratings and their measurables.  That isn’t what the NFL is really looking for when there are 100s of successful players that do have the measurable qualities they seek. That doesn’t mean the NFL is correct, but it is the truth. 

I am in 100% agreement. I have said before that I think, especially when it comes to QB's that too many NFL team are more concerned in getting someone that "looks" like what the perception of an NFL QB should be than getting players who actually perform. As you hear announcers say some time they "look good" holding the clipboards.

Look at team when they are forced to go to backup QB's, especially 3rd string. They cannot produce. If you look around there are a lot of backup QB's who have been around the league for years and never played, or when they do get in never produce. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

What nobody mentions about Fine is just how much he was pounded on in his time here. It wasn't like he ever played behind much of a line and he took more hits than anyone at QB here since Gio Vizza in his one season that he played on the concrete field of Fouts.

Fine is tough as nails. Dude will be ok, whether its as a pro somewhere at some level, or as a coach. He's someone that just doesn't fit the NFL's mold.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

What nobody mentions about Fine is just how much he was pounded on in his time here. It wasn't like he ever played behind much of a line and he took more hits than anyone at QB here since Gio Vizza in his one season that he played on the concrete field of Fouts.

Fine is tough as nails. Dude will be ok, whether its as a pro somewhere at some level, or as a coach. He's someone that just doesn't fit the NFL's mold.

I have to agree. Also, I think he's mentioned interest in being a leader in the Cherokee Nation (which has the most citizens of any tribal government in the U.S.).  Heck, he could probably be a senator or governor of the State of Oklahoma, and do a great job. Whatever path he chooses, I think he will be at the top level among his peers. The guy is 10 feet tall to me.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, eulessismore said:

I have to agree. Also, I think he's mentioned interest in being a leader in the Cherokee Nation (which has the most citizens of any tribal government in the U.S.).  Heck, he could probably be a senator or governor of the State of Oklahoma, and do a great job. Whatever path he chooses, I think he will be at the top level among his peers. The guy is 10 feet tall to me.

#Fineforpresident

• Upvote 2