TEAMS BEING CUT/DROPPED STARTED

El Paso Eagle

It doesn’t take a bloodhound’s sense of smell to sniff out that some of ADs could use the coronavirus crisis as political cover to axe sports they already had on their personal chopping blocks, and the Intercollegiate Coach Association Coalition — a consortium of non-revenue sports coaches associations — wrote a letter to each Division I commissioner urging them not to cut sports.

So what is on the chopping block for UNT?  Swimming or track is my guess.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

Hate to see us cut any of our sports.  But if we have to.....then we have to.

Think for a minute what our position "could be" if we did not cut any sports and made it through this thing just as strong as before. No cuts, MG Scholarship Fund just as strong as ever.  Moving forward with increased optimism that UNT would land in a better conference that CUSA.  It's already been stated that CUSA joining forces with the Sun Belt would be viewed as a step backwards.

I don't want to make lite of the Covid19 health problems that have been created.  But it could open the door for a move upward for our Athletic Programs.  Now more than ever we should, if possible, up our contributions to the MGSF and Athletics in general.  I did.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

I hope so. We need a few breaks to come our way after so many years of playing catch up; trying to overcome bad, past decisions that put us behind the eight ball. We have come a long way in a relatively short amount of time. Thank God for Dr. Smatresk and Wren Baker.

AGREE, AGREE, AGREE

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Didn’t we just build a new track. I don’t see them cutting track. That is not a high cost sport anyway. 

But if we cut a women's sport, wouldn't a men's sport have to go too to comply with Title IX?

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2
  • Downvote 2

Again, we can't drop a sport and remain in the FBS unless they change the rule.  We have the minimum number now (16).  

I just don't see Wren Baker willing to drop to FCS when he is unwilling to pair with Sun Belt schools because he feels (and I agree) that we would be moving backward.  He has supposedly stated that we are not in worse shape than most of our peers.  

I'm sorry, but this 'poor me' attitude is beating me down.  Keep positive!

• Upvote 4

On 4/25/2020 at 4:15 PM, GrayEagle said:

Again, we can't drop a sport and remain in the FBS unless they change the rule.  We have the minimum number now (16).  

I just don't see Wren Baker willing to drop to FCS when he is unwilling to pair with Sun Belt schools because he feels (and I agree) that we would be moving backward.  He has supposedly stated that we are not in worse shape than most of our peers.  

I'm sorry, but this 'poor me' attitude is beating me down.  Keep positive!

I tend to agree here. The reality is that we have a huge enrollment and we get a lot of fees from that student body. That alone can help us weather the storm that many others in the SBCUSA and MAC will not be able to.

What will be interesting is to see what comes from this, conference wise. Its not hard to imagine a scenario where these leagues have programs that drop down to FCS. But we won't be one of them...

• Upvote 2