WREN BAKER ZOOM MEETING

ttunt1970

4 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I attended.  Here are a few things I recall:

- Football schedule is definitely being impacted.   Teams are looking to make all non-conference games within driving distance. 
-  Need MGSF donors now more than ever.

- Coach McCasland walked through the day that the conference tournament and NCAA tournament were both cancelled. 
- Some capital projects will be delayed. 
- Some TV deals for the upcoming football season are starting to take shape, including with Stadium and CBS Sports Network. 
- Don’t expect the football season to be shortened, but could be delayed.  
- If football season were to be cancelled, season ticket holders would get a refund.  
- Doesn’t expect a massive conference realignment by geography.  
- if there were to be any conference realignment, Wren recognizes that joining with SunBelt teams would be seen as a step back.  Would rather look to AAC teams. 
- McCasland had a date night on the back porch where their kids made and served dinner to him and his wife.  He had the kids clean up as well.  
- 90+ people on the Zoom call.

- Replayed “The Drive” clip from the win in the final seconds against UTSA a few years back.

- Wren is having better attendance at his staff meetings through Zoom than he was having when they were in person.

- They miss seeing the student athletes and supporters in person. 
- Basketball recruits are quickly getting to know each other online. 
- Giving guidance to basketball players for staying in shape during the pandemic, but available resources vary from player to player. 
- Someone in the basketball “family” has the virus and is struggling with it.  Not a player.  
- We are in a better position to make it through the pandemic than many other G5 athletic programs.  

All of our Non-Conference games for football are in driving distance. So no change for us.

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

- Football schedule is definitely being impacted.   Teams are looking to make all non-conference games within driving distance. 

- Coach McCasland walked through the day that the conference tournament and NCAA tournament were both cancelled. 
- Some TV deals for the upcoming football season are starting to take shape, including with Stadium and CBS Sports Network. 
- If football season were to be cancelled, season ticket holders would get a refund.  
- if there were to be any conference realignment, Wren recognizes that joining with SunBelt teams would be seen as a step back.  Would rather look to AAC teams. 
- McCasland had a date night on the back porch where their kids made and served dinner to him and his wife.  He had the kids clean up as well.  

- Replayed “The Drive” clip from the win in the final seconds against UTSA a few years back.

- Wren is having better attendance at his staff meetings through Zoom than he was having when they were in person.

- Giving guidance to basketball players for staying in shape during the pandemic, but available resources vary from player to player. 
- Someone in the basketball “family” has the virus and is struggling with it.  Not a player.  
- We are in a better position to make it through the pandemic than many other G5 athletic programs.  

I was on the call as well. That about sums it all up! 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Disappointed that Wren feels geographic alignment with SBC is beneath UNT. Last I looked CUSA West was the lowest rated division in D 1. Also our strength of schedule for 2020 is 115 out of 130. Finally, hell will freeze over before we get invite to AAC.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, wardly said:

Disappointed that Wren feels geographic alignment with SBC is beneath UNT. Last I looked CUSA West was the lowest rated division in D 1. Also our strength of schedule for 2020 is 115 out of 130. Finally, hell will freeze over before we get invite to AAC.

To clarify, Wren said that he is aware that fans of teams that had left the Sun Belt may see merging with Sun Belt teams as a step back.  He didn’t say he personally thought it would be beneath UNT.  He was speaking of fan perception. 

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

To clarify, Wren said that he is aware that fans of teams that had left the Sun Belt may see merging with Sun Belt teams as a step back.  He didn’t say he personally thought it would be beneath UNT.  He was speaking of fan perception. 

Thanks for clarification. We fans need to get real. CUSA is SBC 2.0

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

On 4/24/2020 at 4:41 AM, UNT 90 Grad said:

I like the idea of having our weaker teams play bus trip OOC games. That would certainly save some money. But, I think men's basketball, soccer, and softball could benefit of being available to travel to the better programs in their sports, in exchange for return trips to UNT in future seasons. If the athletic department can spare the additional funds for those sports, I think it could elevate the perception of where those programs are in the landscape of college athletics, and that would help raise the overall perception of our entire athletic department. Adversity can be opportunity.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1