NFL DRAFT

El Paso Eagle

2 hours ago, Venson said:

I do not think the O-line will be much improved if at all. That may be why Rico chose to move on. No QB, No O-line, means not much good for receivers.

And this, my friends, is the heart of the North Texas problem.  Good offensive(and defensive) linemen MUST BE A PRIORITY FOR THIS PROGRAM TO GROW!  You can have the best QB and RB in FBS football, but if you don't have maulers up front, at every position, then you are set for failure.  And on the defensive side too.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, DeepGreen said:

And this, my friends, is the heart of the North Texas problem.  Good offensive(and defensive) linemen MUST BE A PRIORITY FOR THIS PROGRAM TO GROW!  You can have the best QB and RB in FBS football, but if you don't have maulers up front, at every position, then you are set for failure.  And on the defensive side too.

Agreed. Mason broke all those records running for his life. We have done okay in run blocking, but pass protection has been a glaring weakness.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Forgot about him. Smaller receivers do better in the nfl apparently than smaller QBs🙄

Yes, smaller receivers do better in the NFL than small QBs. Quick hips and short field agility getting in and out of breaks are more useful to that position. There's also 5-7 WR on a given team, so a lot more spots to go around and a lot less risk in missing on one. 

For Darden, it will all be about numbers (either measurables or stats) and positional scarcity. Something about his performance will have to be AMAZING for it to happen. Whether that's beasting a Combine/Pro Day and or lighting up a scoreboard, he'll  have to do something that makes coaches/GMs sit up and take notice. 

That's the thing with Mason. He is great. Has ALL the intangibles. But what did he do last year that was so amazing it made people HAVE to pay attention? The regression we suffered as a team did him in. It's part of why we fired an OC after one year. When I say "what did he do", understand I'm not blaming Mason. Our football program failed HIM in his senior year. If he threw closer to 50 TDs and/or had 70-ish completion percentage, we'd be having a different conversation. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

CUSA draft picks:

ROUND PICK OVERALL   TEAM PLAYER POSITION CLASS COLLEGE
3 38 102 PIT.png&w=20&h=20 Pittsburgh Steelers Alex Highsmith DE SR Charlotte
4 9 115 CLE.png&w=20&h=20 Cleveland Browns Harrison Bryant TE SR Florida Atlantic
4 19 125 NYJ.png&w=20&h=20 New York Jets James Morgan QB SR Florida International
4 23 129 NYJ.png&w=20&h=20 New York Jets Cameron Clark OL SR Charlotte
4 32 138 KC.png&w=20&h=20 Kansas City Chiefs L'Jarius Sneed SAF SR Louisiana Tech
4 33 139 OAK.png&w=20&h=20 Las Vegas Raiders Amik Robertson CB JR Louisiana Tech
5 13 159 NE.png&w=20&h=20 New England Patriots Justin Rohrwasser K/P SR Marshall
6 21 200 PHI.png&w=20&h=20 Philadelphia Eagles Quez Watkins WR JR Southern Miss
7 7 221 CAR.png&w=20&h=20 Carolina Panthers Stantley Thomas-Oliver III DB SR Florida International
Edited by Marty
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Good offensive lineman don’t grow on trees. This is a problem at the NCAA level and the Pro level. Next level athletes over come this. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I don’t get anyone blaming our people in the department or staff for this?

if it weren’t for Coach’s Littrell & Harrell MF might not have even gotten the chance?

They evaluated him, brought him here, placed him immediately in the center ring and he took GREAT advantage of his opportunities.  

He played on national TV several times.  Shocked the SEC by routing one of their schools in a game that was talked about for weeks,, led the nation in completions over 40 yards one season, was at the top in completion percentage, broke several school records, had one of our greatest all time comeback wins, earned great respect by everyone he played against, always represented his university by speaking with a respectful, intelligent & confident attitude every time he faced the media.

I mean,...I don’t know what else he could have done here or anywhere else, or what more the department could have done to convince the so called experts to bring him in?  

Rick

Nothing left for him to do or prove.  If the f uckers in the NFL can't see who he is they're all morons.

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 3

I know some here don't want to hear this, but I think a good example of a career trajectory for Mason would be Graham Harrell, who, after a fabulous collegiate career, went undrafted, never really established himself at the pro level, and now, at 34, is probably one of the highest paid assistant coaches in college coaching.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, eulessismore said:

I know some here don't want to hear this, but I think a good example of a career trajectory for Mason would be Graham Harrell, who, after a fabulous collegiate career, went undrafted, never really established himself at the pro level, and now, at 34, is probably one of the highest paid assistant coaches in college coaching.

Nope. You're wrong.  Dead wrong.  So far up your own ass wrong you don't know what your small intestine is and what your colon is.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 14

7 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

Novil 

Although, I think Darden is super talented.  He's just small 

I agree in general but Jalen Reagor from TCU at Pick 21 gives me a little hope.

5'11"206 lbsTCU

Pre-Draft Analysis

Reagor is a small receiver with short arms and good top-end speed. He's quick, makes defenders miss and has the contact balance to break tackles after the catch. He lacks the frame to regularly win 50-50 balls downfield but has the deep speed to threaten vertically. -- Steve Muench

Watch: Reagor has the most drip in the draft

Post-Draft Analysis

The Eagles' top two pass-catchers last year were their tight ends. Alshon Jeffery, 30, hasn't produced like a No. 1 wide receiver, and he is out until at least August after undergoing Lisfranc surgery. DeSean Jackson, 33, missed 13 games with a core injury, and Nelson Agholor signed with Oakland. Adding a young playmaker to help quarterback Carson Wentz was a must, and Reagor fits the bill. -- Steve Muench

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I don’t get anyone blaming our people in the department or staff for this?

if it weren’t for Coach’s Littrell & Harrell MF might not have even gotten the chance?

They evaluated him, brought him here, placed him immediately in the center ring and he took GREAT advantage of his opportunities.  

He played on national TV several times.  Shocked the SEC by routing one of their schools in a game that was talked about for weeks,, led the nation in completions over 40 yards one season, was at the top in completion percentage, broke several school records, had one of our greatest all time comeback wins, earned great respect by everyone he played against, always represented his university by speaking with a respectful, intelligent & confident attitude every time he faced the media.

I mean,...I don’t know what else he could have done here or anywhere else, or what more the department could have done to convince the so called experts to bring him in?  

Rick

Thank you for this..

Also, if Mason was actually 5’11”, he gets drafted and this whole argument is squashed. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Thank you for this..

Also, if Mason was actually 5’11”, he gets drafted and this whole argument is squashed. 

This is the real issue with Mason right here.  I saw that he came in at 5'9" at the shrine bowl, off the top of my head that would make him the smallest QB in the NFL and the only one roughly that size who isn't really a running threat.  The NFL is moving more towards having a lot of athletic, faster QB's but some teams still like the tall, strong armed statues.  When Mason is neither of those it puts him at a real disadvantage.  If given a chance I believe he would succeed, but to already have the physical stuff against him and to be coming from a CUSA school we all knew deep down getting drafted was a long shot.

It's no secret Seth's first 3 classes were nothing amazing, and we found some under-recruited gems but I think once these classes that are top of the conference start becoming seniors is when the drought will end.

• Upvote 1