NFL DRAFT

El Paso Eagle

Wish I thought we were going to break through this season. I don't know how Fine's interviews went but the NFL is the home of nepotism and old school mentalities, I just don't think teams will be able to look past his height. 

Hambone has a chance I guess but posted one of the lowest relative athletic scores of all edge players. Too slow to switch to LB and it's doubtful anything other than his bull rush translates at DE, and even that may be wishful thinking. It was extremely odd seeing an article (I won't say which site) claiming Hambone's main asset was his speed. His main asset is strength and being able to stack and shed blockers. 

Hoping I am wrong and we hear one of their names called Saturday.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I wish I could say we will break through this year, but I just don't see it. Like someone else said earlier, the NFL has an old school mentality and all they care about is measurables. That's why Fine is ranked behind an FIU QB that Fine obviously played much better than.

Edited by Venson
Grammar
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

image.jpeg.8f58d7db9d7053f994c0835925080343.jpeg

This is a pathetic on where we stand regarding NFL draft pics out of UNT since 2010.  Embarrassing!

Sorry if this has already been posted.

I think this has to be bias against the school. There is no way Zach Orr shouldn't have been drafted. He was an all pro. Craig Robertson has been pretty successful especially when he was in Cleveland so he should have been drafted. I hate to say it, but I think the NFL just doesn't trust drafting a player from UNT. They always take our guys in FA and then act surprised that they played so well.

• Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Venson said:

I wish I could say we will break through this year, but I just don't see it. Like someone else said earlier, the NFL has an old school mentality and all they care about is measurables. That's why Fine is ranked behind an FIU QB that Fine obviously played much better than.

If that were true explain Drew Brees and Kyler Murray. Fine height isn’t going to keep him from being drafted it’s the other things. There were also some receivers that were drafted that were below 6 feet. There in no bias of North Texas, this program just hasn't produced players that a GM is willing to draft. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

37 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

If that were true explain Drew Brees and Kyler Murray. Fine height isn’t going to keep him from being drafted it’s the other things. There were also some receivers that were drafted that were below 6 feet. There in no bias of North Texas, this program just hasn't produced players that a GM is willing to draft. 

Brees (P5 School) and Murray (Heisman Trophy Winner) are anomalies. For the most part the NFL will not draft a QB under 6 feet. They would much rather draft guys like Brady Quinn, Jamarcus Russell, Tim Tebow, and many others because they have the measurables or they come from a P5 conference. Fine is much better than the QB at FIU, but yet all the sites have him ranked below him. Maybe there is no bias, but how do you explain UTSA? Outside of Davenport, was there other guy really better than Orr, Robertson, Wilson Jr, Cobbs, or Dunbar? I really doubt it.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

If that were true explain Drew Brees and Kyler Murray. Fine height isn’t going to keep him from being drafted it’s the other things. 

That’s not how you should think about this. The entire NFL didn’t just wake up after Brees and Murray and think, “whelp! Height doesn’t matter anymore.”

height does matter, it’s just that there are exceptions.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I think that the perception of North Texas talent by the NFL is to just wait and get the guys on the cheap through free agency.  Why draft them if NT has a reputation for having their players enter the NFL through free agency?  

• Upvote 1

Yes, the reason NT has not had any football players drafted; is the league is prejudice against NT.

Or the pros know they don't need to waste a pick on NT players because no team will ever draft them. 

Completely crazy ideas, the NFL would draft a giraffe,  if it though it would help their team.

• Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 4

9 hours ago, Venson said:

Brees (P5 School) and Murray (Heisman Trophy Winner) are anomalies. For the most part the NFL will not draft a QB under 6 feet. They would much rather draft guys like Brady Quinn, Jamarcus Russell, Tim Tebow, and many others because they have the measurables or they come from a P5 conference. Fine is much better than the QB at FIU, but yet all the sites have him ranked below him. Maybe there is no bias, but how do you explain UTSA? Outside of Davenport, was there other guy really better than Orr, Robertson, Wilson Jr, Cobbs, or Dunbar? I really doubt it.

Brees went to Purdue, let’s not act like he was at Ohio State. I’m not buying the bias thing because it sounds too much like some conspiracy thing. Wilson has fumble concerns and injury concerns, Cobb had injury concerns, Dunbar is not an every down back which limited his draft stock. You can go down the list and find reasons why these guys didn’t get drafted. I’ll meet you half way and say that the talent of those guys couldn’t overcome the small school bias. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Brees went to Purdue, let’s not act like he was at Ohio State. I’m not buying the bias thing because it sounds too much like some conspiracy thing. Wilson has fumble concerns and injury concerns, Cobb had injury concerns, Dunbar is not an every down back which limited his draft stock. You can go down the list and find reasons why these guys didn’t get drafted. I’ll meet you half way and say that the talent of those guys couldn’t overcome the small school bias. 

I do understand those concerns. Purdue may not be Ohio State, but it is the competition that they consider. Purdue doesn't go through a slate of teams like UTEP. They play the Ohio States, Michigans. Penn Sates etc. I agree with the concerns for those other guys. They are legitimate concerns, but they pick other guys with injury histories. Zach Orr did not have any of that history. At least it was not known until after he was a pro. Neither did Robertson. So, I guess I have a hard time understanding why you don't pick those guys. I don't think it's a conspiracy, but I do think for some reason people look at North Texas and think "Are you kidding me? It's North Texas." There was bigger shock for us beating Arkansas than it was for Louisiana beating Alabama. Arkansas was a bad team and people still acted like it was the worst upset in the history of football. I believe had any of the other CUSA teams had gone in there and beat Arkansas it would not have been as big of a deal as it was with us beating them. I don't think there is a conspiracy of teams in the NFL not wanting to choose players from UNT, but I do think there is a bias there. You make great points and I am not here to try and shut that down. I think on this one, we may just not agree. I want to be wrong and hope we can break this draft drought soon.

• Upvote 1

There is absolutely a stigma. I think it stems from us being an albatross from 2005-2013. With Zach Orr's family pedigree, all conference selections, production and test results he went undrafted we need someone to break through badly.

Looking ahead to next year let's hope Dion Novil has a productive season and then tests well because I don't think any other senior has a chance to get drafted. Darden will have to go the UDFA route even if he goes for 1500 yards, G5 slot receivers don't get drafted.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1