99% of FBS ADs Believe We'll Have Football Season This Year

MCMLXXX

1 hour ago, MCMLXXX said:

"We must play football, or college athletics will shrink before our eyes,” a Power Five AD said

https://watchstadium.com/99-percent-of-fbs-ads-believe-well-have-college-football-this-season-04-21-2020/

Says the guy in charge of the cash cow.... I will believe it when I see it.  Allowing 30,40, to 100,000 people in the same area sitting on top of each other screaming and yelling doesn't seem like the most brilliant idea right now.  Let this thing see where it goes before we start making some kind of "if we don't then the world ends bs about sports".  You see where Boise St is already furloughing their football coaches??

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 4

19 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Says the guy in charge of the cash cow.... I will believe it when I see it.  Allowing 30,40, to 100,000 people in the same area sitting on top of each other screaming and yelling doesn't seem like the most brilliant idea right now.  Let this thing see where it goes before we start making some kind of "if we don't then the world ends bs about sports".  You see where Boise St is already furloughing their football coaches??

Hey he may be the Rutgers AD... 

• Upvote 1

He's not kidding.  Take a look at this: 

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Granted, this was from a couple of years ago, but costs have probably only gone up since then.  Without any football revenue whatsoever these schools are going to be on the hook for as much as $100M, maybe more.  You still have to pay the volleyball coach, the janitor, the admin people, etc. and a school that has NO revenue coming in whatsoever isn't going to be able to cover these expenses when the actual school itself is scrambling to cover it's own loses.  No football means that the athletic departments, especially ones who are already struggling or those who haven't been able to keep costs under control despite money raining down from the sky could actually go bankrupt.  

Edited by SMUleopold
grammer, rich text
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

Sure most ADs do. Big time programs can survive off the TV revenue alone. On the other hand, even if their attendance is back to normal programs like SMU and UTSA will have no problem implementing social distancing in their stadium 😁

Edited by outoftown
  • Haha 2

Excerpt from a post from Geoff Ketchum:

"I believe three things about the 2020 college football season.

a. We're going to have a season.
b. There won't be fans in the stands.
c. In order for those above two things to happen, students will have to be on campuses across the country.

But, I believe we're going to have football, mostly because all of college athletics as we currently know it will crash and burn without it. Specifically, college athletics as we know it will crash and burn without college football's TV revenue.

"Our players are students. If we're not in college, we're not having contests," Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said, per a report from CBS Sports' Dennis Dodds. "Our message (to Mike Pence) was, we need to get universities and colleges back open, that we were education-based programs, and we weren't going to have sports until we had something closer to normal college going on."

So, that's the first thing that has to happen and I know a number of people will debate the reality of that being something that can happen, but it's hard for me to believe the a nation that is itching to return to some normalcy in mid-April, regardless of how misguided it might be on numerous levels, is going to have its universities closed to students in four-plus months.

If I'm right and we do have classes in the fall, we're going to have football as well.

Oh, it will be modified. Big-time. But, there's just too much at stake financially for there not to be a season at all.

The schools can figure out the loss of money from season tickets, concessions and game programs.

They cannot figure out what the hell they can or will be able to do without the televised product, which means as the NCAA and each school devises a plan that will allow for the televised product to be delivered, getting you inside the stadium so that you can watch it live isn't automatically a big priority."

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 1

At best, football will be played with no fans...

I still don't see how you're gonna keep Covid from running thru a team of 100 players and coaches, much less playing a sport where two teams are crashing into each other for 3 hours. This isn't even considering coaches, trainers, managers, or other AD staff.

Without a vaccine, and with Covid still causing death and major illness, I suspect we are not seeing team sports getting back until a vaccine is available. Social distancing and crowds will get looser in the weeks and months ahead, but we are fooling ourselves if we expect gatherings of more than 50-100 people to be back in vogue by August or September.

• Upvote 1

Now I’m starting to get an idea of how some power programs of the past all but disappeared from one decade to another. Some of those small schools that were powers and are not here anymore?  I think this could be another significant purge of programs that go away or never come back the same way. Fans could be sitting here in 60 years saying, “Louisiana Monroe played major college football 🏈 and beat Alabama one time?  Where was New Mexico State, in Santa Fe?  Tulsa used to regularly play Oklahoma and State?  What is a roadrunner (JK). 

I do believe we have a delayed start October- February with Christmas New Years break. 
GMG

• Lovely Take 1

8 hours ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

I disagree that you have to have students on campus to have football games.  Students could be remote and you could have the athletes be there and still video tape the games for everyone else.

Students on campus means you can have people in the stadium. If you play a game with no one in the stadium the school is taking a huge financial hit since no revenue is being made. Also I’m pretty sure Coach Andy Mac is a burner account for an admin on the board 😆