"Progressive" Democrats Bothered By Biden's Race and Age. Most Don't Care.

3 minutes ago, THOR said:

no it isn't...sky news talks about european issues, not related to covid and plenty of sports leagues and new developments. 

did i make that up?  probably, just like you did with the 22.5/7 covid news talk

Well, whenever I watch the BBC news reports, I would say 95% of their programming is about the corona virus is some form or fashion if you are gonna go with a British news service.  I don't think I get Sky News, so I'll have to take your word for it that their coverage isn't almost entirely focused on corona.

It's not like I haven't seen anything on Biden's allegations - it has been covered.  But it's not the big story right now, it just isn't.  This pandemic is the biggest story of the year by far.  Considering the effect on the world at large, it's probably the biggest worldwide story since the 2004 tsnuami.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

27 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Well, whenever I watch the BBC news reports, I would say 95% of their programming is about the corona virus is some form or fashion if you are gonna go with a British news service.  I don't think I get Sky News, so I'll have to take your word for it that their coverage isn't almost entirely focused on corona.

I wish more people on this board were watching BBC World News instead of Facebook being their main source. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 5

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

And the media went ape over it, yet silent over Biden. That is the issue. Dems say every woman should have their time to speak about what happened, yet these same people now say it isn’t necessary because they believe Biden. Although Biden really never responded, his campaign spoke for him.

Well you'll never see me defend Biden but now you're just making stuff up.

Literally all the media has been reporting on Reade's allegations: Washington Post, NYT, CNN, they've all had articles about it. Ali Veshi and Chris Hayes have both covered it on their MSNBC shows, and Mika Brzezinski interviewed Biden directly on her show Friday morning. 

Did he probably do something inappropriate or physical with Reade? Yeah probably, we see how gross and handsy he gets with anyone of the female sex, but you're a total hack if you think your candidate isn't infinitely worse in this regard. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, Coffee and TV said:

Well you'll never see me defend Biden but now you're just making stuff up.

Literally all the media has been reporting on Reade's allegations: Washington Post, NYT, CNN, they've all had articles about it. Ali Veshi and Chris Hayes have both covered it on their MSNBC shows, and Mika Brzezinski interviewed Biden directly on her show Friday morning. 

Did he probably do something inappropriate or physical with Reade? Yeah probably, we see how gross and handsy he gets with anyone of the female sex, but you're a total hack if you think your candidate isn't infinitely worse in this regard. 

My candidate is infinitely worse?  I don't think that is what you meant.

Yep, I saw the Morning Joe softball interview.  You know as well as I do that they are going easy on Creepy Joe.  I was comparing this to the reaction to the claims against Kavanaugh from Blassey-Ford.

Hell, the headline of this thread says most Dems don't care.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

My candidate is infinitely worse?  I don't think that is what you meant.

Yeah, candidate. That's exactly what I meant. It falls on deaf ears to hear hypocrisy claims when a serial sexual assaulter currently sits in the white house. 

Yep, I saw the Morning Joe softball interview. 

Oh, so were you lying in your previous post when you said that Biden hadn't been questioned by anyone in the media concerning the allegations? 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

21 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

Yeah, candidate. That's exactly what I meant. It falls on deaf ears to hear hypocrisy claims when a serial sexual assaulter currently sits in the white house. 

Oh, so were you lying in your previous post when you said that Biden hadn't been questioned by anyone in the media concerning the allegations? 

No, I wasn't lying.  I never said he wasn't questioned.  I used the figure of speech that the media was "silent."  I then compared it to how Judge Kavanaugh was treated and Biden's treatment has been "silent" by comparison.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

No, I wasn't lying.  I never said he wasn't questioned.  I used the figure of speech that the media was "silent."  I then compared it to how Judge Kavanaugh was treated and Biden's treatment has been "silent" by comparison.

Sorry, you were lying when you said in your original post that Biden hadn't responded to the allegations, only to then change your story that Mika's interview was softball. And I'll give you that, it was. 

• Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 5

20 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Although Biden really never responded, his campaign spoke for him.

Split hairs all you want, and call me a liar if it makes you feel better.  Let me clarify:

When I made the above statement, I hadn't seen the interview from Friday as I don't watch MSNBC.  Prior to that interview, Biden was silent allowing his campaign to speak for him.  I heard about the interview and watched it on YouTube after my post.  Guess what, Joe still hasn't responded.  He is blocking access to records, etc...  I know he is your candidate and you will defend him to the end, but it doesn't change my point that Trump and Kavanaugh were treated much differently from how Biden is being treated.  Honestly, I don't expect Joe to remember as he has trouble forming coherent sentences today.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Split hairs all you want, and call me a liar if it makes you feel better.  Let me clarify:

When I made the above statement, I hadn't seen the interview from Friday as I don't watch MSNBC.  Prior to that interview, Biden was silent allowing his campaign to speak for him.  I heard about the interview and watched it on YouTube after my post.  Guess what, Joe still hasn't responded.  He is blocking access to records, etc...  I know he is your candidate and you will defend him to the end, but it doesn't change my point that Trump and Kavanaugh were treated much differently from how Biden is being treated.  Honestly, I don't expect Joe to remember as he has trouble forming coherent sentences today.

Sorry buddy, I don't have a candidate in this horse race. Glad you could get your story straight though. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

15 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

Sorry buddy, I don't have a candidate in this horse race. Glad you could get your story straight though. 

Reading comprehension. Study it, buddy.   My story was straight from the start.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

Another good article with something for everyone: https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2020/05/tara-reade-joe-biden-metoo-essentialism/611116/.

It has criticism of that no good mainstream media, our expectations of media to wrap things up quickly, some explanation as to why this has been covered the way it has (although it leaves out a possible point that Kavanaugh was also handled differently because a clock was legit ticking down on confirmation as its backdrop while the media has time to vet claims against Biden), why a slow burn is not necessarily a bad thing and some thoughts on what "Me Too" does and doesn't mean (especially in context of how some conservatives are gleefully brandishing the phrases in light of a potential rape.) 

I hope Tara Reade is heard and this is fully vetted and it is funny to see the constant refrain of that come across consistently from multiple LIB posters while the Lifers of the world keep yelling that no one on that mythical other side wants to see an investigation. She may be lying. She may be telling the truth. It may be somewhere in the middle. Let's find out and act accordingly! We would also love investigations free of legal manipulations into the 20+ allegations against Trump and maybe more than two weeks to vet Cavanaugh impartially. Didn't the Dems successfully self manage the end of Al Franken's career a couple of years ago?

I've also yet to see a Biden fan enter the chat, so maybe drop the whole "YOUR CANDIDATE" thing, too. As far as I know, GMG doesn't have a Delaware contingent, so I don't think anyone here has ever voted Joe as a topline option in any election.  

Anyway, would love some feedback from folks who read the article. It's long, but in the words of a great (medical/scholarly?) doctor I'm privileged to know, "Reading comprehension. Study it, buddy."

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Maybe I missed it but when was Trump charged and convicted of sexual assault?

Rick

Ah, here comes Firefighting Rick, JD. Dozens of women described what happened to them and then someone found an old tape of him confirming that that's exactly what he did. So yeah, not in the court of law but definitely a serial assaulter in the grand reality of things. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

On 5/5/2020 at 2:32 PM, Quoner said:

Another good article with something for everyone: https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2020/05/tara-reade-joe-biden-metoo-essentialism/611116/.

I hope Tara Reade is heard and this is fully vetted and it is funny to see the constant refrain of that come across consistently from multiple LIB posters while the Lifers of the world keep yelling that no one on that mythical other side wants to see an investigation. She may be lying. She may be telling the truth. It may be somewhere in the middle. Let's find out and act accordingly! We would also love investigations free of legal manipulations into the 20+ allegations against Trump and maybe more than two weeks to vet Cavanaugh impartially. Didn't the Dems successfully self manage the end of Al Franken's career a couple of years ago?

Anyway, would love some feedback from folks who read the article.

I think it's an ok article.  There are a lot of nuances in these types of cases, and she makes the point about "many other reporters...learning, corroborating, analyzing".  I personally think that's a convenient excuse (not by the author) for some media outlets to sit on the Biden accusations.  I particularly have a problem with the NYT.  I would believe more of the "wait until we have more info" crowd if stuff like this hadn't come from the NYT:

"The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses, and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable."

Which was then amended to remove everything after the word Biden. 😆

I don't buy the clock ticking down thing on Kavanaugh, either.  Especially as it relates to the Times.  I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment, but the handling of Ford, and the handling of Reade have come from totally different universes.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

I am much more concerned about the lack of investigation and institutional controls inside our government structures than I am about media bias.  I have posted independent media evaluations in other threads. Media bias exists on both sides and it is very easy to find out who supports who. 
The most troubling aspect to me on the sexual assault issue is how political advantage has replaced morality in how society views sexual assault. Trump was elected despite media coverage of his indiscretions and sexual misconduct. That doesn’t seem to be as troubling to some people has how the media covers their party.

Kavanaugh (spelling?) was troubling to me because of the rush to approve him. I think it would have been better for Congress to wait until a full investigation was completed or replace the candidate. 

In the case of Biden, of course there needs to be an investigation. So far the victim has some inconsistencies in the story and there are real reasons to question motives, but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be investigated. 

“Believe the women” was never about “all accused men are guilty,” in my opinion. It was about making sure that accusers had the opportunity to tell their story, be heard, and seek justice.  All too often sexual assault victims have been shamed (“well maybe you should not dress so sexy” or “what did you do to encourage him?”) instead of being treated like any other victim of a crime. No one says to the victim of a robbery, “Well didn’t you know that taking money from an ATM is just an invitation to be robbed?” 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, 97and03 said:

“Believe the women” was never about “all accused men are guilty,” in my opinion. It was about making sure that accusers had the opportunity to tell their story, be heard, and seek justice.  All too often sexual assault victims have been shamed (“well maybe you should not dress so sexy” or “what did you do to encourage him?”) instead of being treated like any other victim of a crime. No one says to the victim of a robbery, “Well didn’t you know that taking money from an ATM is just an invitation to be robbed?” 

Very valid points. However, a lot of people, especially in the case of Kavanaugh, came out and said all women must be believed and men should be treated as guilty until they prove their innocence. 

I can understand why many women have been reluctant/afraid to come out. However, the "politicization"  of sexual assaults (starting back with Clinton) has, IMO, made it even more difficult as the women and the accused are paraded in front of the media and the stories spun to fit their desired narrative. Then if they are completely wrong, in most cases, any retractions are buried, and peoples opinions have been set. 

• Upvote 2

The dems had 4 years to find anyone who had some semblance of moral fiber and they came up with Biden in 2020 haha. The dummies who only see a (R) next to a name and wouldn't think twice to vote for (R) Lucifer if he was a candidate will do it in force.

I am 7th generation Texan it's in my blood I can smell bullshit a mile away. I will never forget my southern brethren throwing morals out the window for the sake of being on the winning side. That said there are no minds changing here, the (D)umbasses have trotted out another trash candidate to give us Unstable old man vs Unstable old man. 

The bickering/divide will grow stronger, and we all lose in the end.

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Kavanaugh (spelling?) was troubling to me because of the rush to approve him. I think it would have been better for Congress to wait until a full investigation was completed or replace the candidate. 

I think the problem people have...if you're going to apply that standard to Kavanaugh....then you must think Biden's Presidential run should be over....because it would be better for Congress to wait until a full investigation is completed or replace the candidate. All based on an accusation. That was the standard used for Kavanaugh.

I actually agree with you on the inconsistencies of Biden's accuser. A large portion of people are so fired up about the Biden accusation because of the way Kavanaugh was treated. The same standard should be applied to both. The standard is due process. Kavanaugh didn't get it...so people don't think Biden should get it.

• Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

The dems had 4 years to find anyone who had some semblance of moral fiber and they came up with Biden in 2020 haha. The dummies who only see a (R) next to a name and wouldn't think twice to vote for (R) Lucifer if he was a candidate will do it in force.

I am 7th generation Texan it's in my blood I can smell bullshit a mile away. I will never forget my southern brethren throwing morals out the window for the sake of being on the winning side. That said there are no minds changing here, the (D)umbasses have trotted out another trash candidate to give us Unstable old man vs Unstable old man. 

The bickering/divide will grow stronger, and we all lose in the end.

You bring up a great point about blindly following the R or D.

El Paso is infamous for their straight party voting. We have had some god awful people get elected and some really good people who ran as R didn't get close. However, the Mayor's office runs as "non party" and there have been several Republicans elected when people actually listen to the candidates (Disclaimer - I am sure the opposite happens in other cities). My point is, too many people vote for the letter and have no clue what the person stands for.

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I think the problem people have...if you're going to apply that standard to Kavanaugh....then you must think Biden's Presidential run should be over....because it would be better for Congress to wait until a full investigation is completed or replace the candidate. All based on an accusation. That was the standard used for Kavanaugh.

I actually agree with you on the inconsistencies of Biden's accuser. A large portion of people are so fired up about the Biden accusation because of the way Kavanaugh was treated. The same standard should be applied to both. The standard is due process. Kavanaugh didn't get it...so people don't think Biden should get it.

I agree that Kavanaugh didn’t get due process but in a different way than you seem to mean it. There were a few days of testimony and a rushed approval and now the man has a lifetime appointment. 
Law enforcement, the media, and most importantly voters have months to scrutinize Biden’s past and current actions. Then millions of people get a say, not just 50 +1 like in the Senate confirmation process. 
Maybe you feel the media or liberals were too tough on Kavanaugh, but I think he made out pretty well. Almost untouchable for life. For those who dislike Biden, 8 years (likely 4) and he is powerless. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I agree that Kavanaugh didn’t get due process but in a different way than you seem to mean it. There were a few days of testimony and a rushed approval and now the man has a lifetime appointment. 
Law enforcement, the media, and most importantly voters have months to scrutinize Biden’s past and current actions. Then millions of people get a say, not just 50 +1 like in the Senate confirmation process. 
Maybe you feel the media or liberals were too tough on Kavanaugh, but I think he made out pretty well. Almost untouchable for life. For those who dislike Biden, 8 years (likely 4) and he is powerless. 

I think if you dislike Biden you might be better off focusing your attention on his running mate. Do not believe he will serve a full 4, by his choosing, if he gets elected. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I think if you dislike Biden you might be better off focusing your attention on his running mate. Do not believe he will serve a full 4, by his choosing, if he gets elected. 

I kind of doubt he does either. 
His VP pick should be above reproach. 

Edited by 97and03

22 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I kind of doubt he does either. 
His VP pick should be above reproach. 

I fear, regardless of who gets elected, the next four years will be worse when it comes to being divided. The Democrats who hate trump will continue to hate him and if they control the House they will try again, and again to impeach him. On the other side. I believe there are a lot of Republicans who will be hell bent on treating Biden, his family, and his staff, the same way they feel Trump has been treated. If the Republicans take the house I would be surprised if they do not attempt to impeach Biden.

Sadly, for our country, the proverbial Genie has been let out of the bottle and the bottle may have been cracked beyond immediate repair.

Edited by El Paso Eagle