BREAKING: Boise State furloughs coaching staff

Jonnyeagle

Louisville to cut athletics budget by 15 percent, furlough staff

Louisville athletic director Vince Tyra said his department will cut 15% from its sports budgets and furlough staff this week in further economic moves resulting from the coronavirus pandemic.

Tyra said furloughs would be announced Wednesday, but he did not specify details to the University of Louisville Athletic Association (ULAA) board in a Monday video teleconference. Earlier this month, the AD announced 10% pay cuts for head coaches and senior staff, including himself, and included his forgoing $300,000 in bonuses.

The department aims to trim $15 million from the 2020-21 budget to be submitted this week, and it hinted at other cost-cutting moves, including furloughs.

"We regret that we have to make some of these very difficult decisions,'' Tyra told the ULAA board. "But for us, to be honest to the situation and where we are as an athletic department, we're not sitting with a large reserve, as some may be.''

Read more: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29074654/louisville-cut-athletics-budget-15-percent-furlough-staff

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

There are probably several FCS schools, and maybe a couple of G5 schools, that may have to shutter their programs if they don't play their paycheck games at the beginning of the year.

Exactly. I will take it a step further and say COVID will alter the G5 conference landscape also. I have a feeling some of the CUSA and Sunbelt schools will opt to drop down to FCS to save costs. CUSA and Sunbelt will either need to trim-the-fat and merge or swap schools to create regional conferences. The travel costs for all sports is unsustainable. I did a quick Google search to see if anyone had written on this recently and found this article:   https://championinsiders.com/college-football/the-g5-is-facing-major-economic-woes/

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 3

If UNT can weather this Corona Virus storm financially, we could be in position to move up from CUSA.  I'm not trying wish bad luck on any football program but if we can better our position conference-wise...…….. just saying.  And if we end up in a merger with the best of CUSA and the Sun Belt, so be it.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

If UNT can weather this Corona Virus storm financially, we could be in position to move up from CUSA.  I'm not trying wish bad luck on any football program but if we can better our position conference-wise...…….. just saying.  And if we end up in a merger with the best of CUSA and the Sun Belt, so be it.

I think you are going to see the G5”s shrink. Especially the number of teams

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

You guys are jumping the gun. They’ll get rid of the non-revenue sports way before they get rid of football. No school is dropping down with out cutting one of those non-revenue sports, or doing something like noted above. What is going to be the unfortunate outcome of this is the kids that might not play D-1 athletics because they play golf, tennis, etc. if indeed it needs to be done. You’re not getting a paycheck game in any other sport.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

You guys are jumping the gun. They’ll get rid of the non-revenue sports way before they get rid of football. No school is dropping down with out cutting one of those non-revenue sports, or doing something like noted above. What is going to be the unfortunate outcome of this is the kids that might not play D-1 athletics because they play golf, tennis, etc. if indeed it needs to be done. You’re not getting a paycheck game in any other sport.  

I wonder how Title IX will effect the sports selected to be cut?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Since we are dealing with unprecedented circumstances it’s not out of the realm of possibility that exceptions are going to be made at least on a conditional basis, with the intent to bring them back in a certain amount of time. In the end that’s something for the lawyers to figure out. 

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

I hope Wren is on the phone with the AAC and doing whatever it takes to get us an invite.  Merging back with the Belt would be a step back.

I...much like anyone else on the board would like to believe North Texas will move on to greener pastures one day. I just don’t see a path into the AAC...I do see a coalescing of regional SBC and CUSA teams though. I realize I’m not saying anything new.

• Upvote 3

i think the P5 schools are going to be hurt a lot more than the G5

G5 schools know how to work with a budget, while some of these major programs normallyhave a lot more flexibility with their programs and probably have way more fat to trim than a school like North Texas does. If you take away a season of football from Texas A&M, it's going to hurt a lot more than taking away a season from UNT.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

My guess is that universities are going to be hit pretty hard in general and are going to have to furlough or lay off staff across the board.  I would expect athletics in most places to take a big hit as to limit the destruction to the academic programs.  My impression (and maybe it's wrong) is that our athletic office has swollen in size pretty substantially over the current AD's tenure.  I would expect that pretty serious downsizing would be in the works if things don't turn around soon.   Even for schools with a large reserve, labor costs can eat through that surprisingly quickly.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, golfingomez said:

i think the P5 schools are going to be hurt a lot more than the G5

G5 schools know how to work with a budget, while some of these major programs normallyhave a lot more flexibility with their programs and probably have way more fat to trim than a school like North Texas does. If you take away a season of football from Texas A&M, it's going to hurt a lot more than taking away a season from UNT.

That’s wishful thinking, these P5 schools make payroll (paying players) just fine with off the books boosters what makes you think the large donor base won’t help during these times? The opposite is true at G5 schools 🤨

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

Wow, a whole 10% that ought to save the program.

Yes, a lot are not doing anything, but that seems totally inadequate to me.

People without jobs and no income versus overpaid athletic staff that have very little to do other than long term recruiting.

I think 50% of salary above 60k for everyone with delay of any bonuses would be much more appropriate to start. 

Yes, I would include NT in that too. 

Salaries could re-adjusted once that they actually have to coach. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 6