Vote for Best UNT Team Ever

MCMLXXX

13 hours ago, NT93 said:

That team brought me much joy, but it’s not only sad, but also pathetic, embarrassing, etc., etc.

It's why I voted for 2017 over 2013. 

2017 beat everyone they were supposed to and the 4 (Iowa, SMU, FAU, Troy) teams they lost to would have beat 2013. I can't forgive the absolute no shows 2013 put out against UTSA and Tulane. Two teams we had no business losing to and cost us the C-USA championship.

2013 likes to thump their chest about their bowl win and how that makes them better, but how can you compare the bowls when 2013 played a mediocre 7-5 UNLV and 2017 had to play 11-2 Troy, who beat a top 20 LSU in Baton Rouge! 

I actually don't know which team was actually better. They were complete opposites. 2013 had a vanilla, boring offense and depended on it's amazing defense and ST to make game changing plays. While 2017 had an electric offense that often had to make up for poor defense. When it's this close I just like to defer to the team that took care of business when they were supposed to and got closer to a conference championship. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

It's why I voted for 2017 over 2013. 

2017 beat everyone they were supposed to and the 4 (Iowa, SMU, FAU, Troy) teams they lost to would have beat 2013. I can't forgive the absolute no shows 2013 put out against UTSA and Tulane. Two teams we had no business losing to and cost us the C-USA championship.

2013 likes to thump their chest about their bowl win and how that makes them better, but how can you compare the bowls when 2013 played a mediocre 7-5 UNLV and 2017 had to play 11-2 Troy, who beat a top 20 LSU in Baton Rouge! 

I actually don't know which team was actually better. They were complete opposites. 2013 had a vanilla, boring offense and depended on it's amazing defense and ST to make game changing plays. While 2017 had an electric offense that often had to make up for poor defense. When it's this close I just like to defer to the team that took care of business when they were supposed to and got closer to a conference championship. 

I watched both and don’t recall ‘13 getting smoked on national television. I recall that happening to ‘17 on multiple occasions. ‘13 team proved they could compete with anyone even if too many early mistakes cost them against UTSA and they ran out of steam at Georgia.  They thought they could sleepwalk through the UTSA game and it cost them. “The stand” vs “the drive”, the drive was great but we got a little help on that one. The stand may never be duplicated and we got the opposite of a little help on that one. The stand was greater and always will be greater. 

If 2013 or 2017 is the best team ever it says a lot about our history.   
No disrespect intended to any players on those teams because they were very good and they gave the fan base many good memories, but best team ever?  It’s hard being green, but I’ll keep on keeping on😁

Seem's like the 1977 team is being forgotten. Finished 10-1, only losses were to #16 Miss St 17-16, who later forfeited, and to #20 Florida State 35-14.  Wins over SMU, Memphis, Southern Miss, and Louisiana Tech. Was ranked #16 at end of season by UPI. 

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, Marty said:

Seem's like the 1977 team is being forgotten. Finished 10-1, only losses were to #16 Miss St 17-16, who later forfeited, and to #20 Florida State 35-14.  Wins over SMU, Memphis, Southern Miss, and Louisiana Tech. Was ranked #16 at end of season by UPI. 

Yep they and the Joe Greene teams were likely the true best teams but because of the voting format, it was almost impossible for a recent team not to come in first.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I watched both and don’t recall ‘13 getting smoked on national television. I recall that happening to ‘17 on multiple occasions. ‘13 team proved they could compete with anyone even if too many early mistakes cost them against UTSA and they ran out of steam at Georgia.  They thought they could sleepwalk through the UTSA game and it cost them. “The stand” vs “the drive”, the drive was great but we got a little help on that one. The stand may never be duplicated and we got the opposite of a little help on that one. The stand was greater and always will be greater. 

What was the “little help” on the drive?

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 6/20/2020 at 12:10 AM, UNTLifer said:

What was the “little help” on the drive?

My recollection is that Lawrence got away with a little something on that long pass play near the sideline. My memory could be wrong but it still wouldn’t change the fact that the stand was better than the drive. 

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1