Vote for Best UNT Team Ever

MCMLXXX

16 hours ago, Texas Stranger said:

2002 Defense would sack Mason at least 4 times, probably more.  Seriously, Booger and Awasom et al against our recent O-Lines?

Only 4? I think 0-12 UTEP probably managed that. 

• Haha 1

Another add-on to the 1988 team -- not only did they beat Texas Tech and pretty much Texas (if replays were done back in 1988 like they are now it would no longer have been North Texas 24  Texas 13  Referees 14) but they also beat the heck out of Rice as well.  Going 3-0 against the Southwest Conference for all practical intents and purposes is not too shabby.

• Upvote 1

On 5/26/2020 at 1:29 PM, MCMLXXX said:

1967 vs 1977. I was in school in 1977 but have to give the nod to 1967.

https://meangreensports.com/news/2020/5/26/football-best-team-ever-1-1967-vs-2-1977.aspx

1967 wins.

Voting is up for 2013 vs 2018, a choice that I dread making.

I love defense so much (2013), but I also have a place in my heart for Mason.

I think Brelan is the tie breaker here.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, greenminer said:

1967 wins.

Voting is up for 2013 vs 2018, a choice that I dread making.

I love defense so much (2013), but I also have a place in my heart for Mason.

I think Brelan is the tie breaker here.

Plenty to love about the 2018 team, but

Bowl game champ > Bowl game loser

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://meangreensports.com/news/2020/6/11/football-best-team-ever-1-1967-vs-1-2002.aspx

‘67 vs ‘02 feels like a no-brainer, but it looks like this one is coming down to the wire. Both seasons had wins against Cincinnati, but I don’t think a team that started 0-5 against FBS opponents should beat out a team that almost went undefeated(and featured Joe Greene).

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Mab2015 said:

https://meangreensports.com/news/2020/6/11/football-best-team-ever-1-1967-vs-1-2002.aspx

‘67 vs ‘02 feels like a no-brainer, but it looks like this one is coming down to the wire. Both seasons had wins against Cincinnati, but I don’t think a team that started 0-5 against FBS opponents should beat out a team that almost went undefeated(and featured Joe Greene).

That 2002 squad means a lot to me.   It made me into a Mean Green fan.   It most-certainly gets my sentimental vote all the way to the end.

That said, if I look at it objectively, I'm with you Mab2015.   Mean Joe, Steve Ramsey, & the '67 team is better.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

Final game. I don't believe that 2002 and 2013 are the best teams ever. Since that is all that is left I have got to go with 2002.  

https://meangreensports.com/news/2020/6/16/football-best-team-ever-1-2002-vs-1-2013.aspx

Agree.

I think the means to vote (Facebook/Twitter) aided in both of these teams' advancement.  Not to mention, there aren't as many people around who watched those '67 or '77 teams.

4 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Pretty sad that our best team of all time had 4 losses and couldn’t even win their division 

That team brought me much joy, but it’s not only sad, but also pathetic, embarrassing, etc., etc.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

I found it humorous that the 2002 team won the Facebook vote (re: older Millennials, GenX, Boomers), and 2013 won the Twitter vote (re: younger Millennials & Gen Z).

I bet if there were a mail-in vote the '67 or '77 teams would have won!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Just imagine if 2003 didn't lose to Memphis. IMO they would've been far better. Also if 2013 didn't choke to UTSA and Tulane and maybe Ohio, they could've been one of the best G5s of the 2010s

That was the first bowl Memphis had been to in 4ever.  They went one direction and we in another sadly.

• Upvote 1