Vote for Best UNT Team Ever

MCMLXXX

I saw the '50 team led by Renfro but was in the service in '51 although the teams were largely the same.  Renfro was extremely fast (.1 off the world record for the 100 yard dash) and way above the competition.  

They had a good team but the '57 team (the fall after I graduated) was much better and in a tougher conference.  Whereas Ray Renfro just outran the competition, Abner Haynes dodged and darted through better defenses.  I'm a little surprised that QB Vernon Cole was not on the all-conference team.  Maybe he was on the 2nd team and they only listed first team members of the Missouri Valley Conference.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

10 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

1951 vs 1957

Hopefully someone on the board was here in 1957 and can give some insight. 

1951 had Ray Renfro (a 12 year NFL career)

1957 Abner Haynes 

https://meangreensports.com/news/2020/4/23/football-best-team-ever-2-1951-vs-3-1957.aspx

There was apparently a correction made since you posted--it's 1951 vs. 1959.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

There was apparently a correction made since you posted--it's 1951 vs. 1959.

Well, 1959 was Abner's senior year and the best team in his time frame.  We won every conference game except Tulsa.  (That was the year before Memphis joined the conference)  This team had something that some of the other good North Texas teams didn't have...defense.  I believe that Tulsa was the only team that scored more than once against them after the opening game.  

This team, however, did leave a bad taste in my mouth.  They went to the Sun Bowl and got blown away by New Mexico State. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

This shouldn't even be close! I would say the 2002 team is one of the best to ever wear green

On 4/24/2020 at 1:01 PM, GrayEagle said:

Well, 1959 was Abner's senior year and the best team in his time frame.  We won every conference game except Tulsa.  (That was the year before Memphis joined the conference)  This team had something that some of the other good North Texas teams didn't have...defense.  I believe that Tulsa was the only team that scored more than once against them after the opening game.  

This team, however, did leave a bad taste in my mouth.  They went to the Sun Bowl and got blown away by New Mexico State. 

Was that the Tulsa game after they beat UH and many injuries happened in that game? 

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork

I still get shivers thinking about Booger's career totals.  unreal what he was doing at his position.

I can only thing of a small handful of players that affected their side of the field like Booger did.

TCU's LT
UNM's Urlacher
FSU's Dion Sanders
OU's Roy Williams

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

1978 vs 1988. Fry vs Corky.  Jordan Case vs Scott Davis. Both teams had 3rd Round Draft choices. 1988 beat Tech and beat Texas except for the score. The highlights from that phantom UT touchdown dominated sportscasts in DFW for days. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=unt++vs+ut+football+1988&docid=608007767786392715&mid=28C738C8CC04E1E98DDD28C738C8CC04E1E98DDD&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

https://meangreensports.com/news/2020/4/30/football-best-team-ever-2-1978-vs-3-1988.aspx

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 2

I get told to let it go...over UT's BS win in 88. Nope..never will......it was documented on TV that if not for blind referees NTSU would of won. Even after the game UT fans were laughing at the referees......they knew.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

I get told to let it go...over UT's BS win in 88. Nope..never will......it was documented on TV that if not for blind referees NTSU would of won. Even after the game UT fans were laughing at the referees......they knew.

I agree. Was at the game with my wife-to-be (UT grad) sitting in a section full of Horn Fans. Several told be they were embarrassed by what they saw. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/1/2020 at 7:52 AM, MCMLXXX said:

1978 vs 1988. Fry vs Corky.  Jordan Case vs Scott Davis. Both teams had 3rd Round Draft choices. 1988 beat Tech and beat Texas except for the score. The highlights from that phantom UT touchdown dominated sportscasts in DFW for days. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=unt++vs+ut+football+1988&docid=608007767786392715&mid=28C738C8CC04E1E98DDD28C738C8CC04E1E98DDD&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

https://meangreensports.com/news/2020/4/30/football-best-team-ever-2-1978-vs-3-1988.aspx

The 78 and 88 teams playing one another would be a hell of a game.