Will we have football this fall?

Hunter Green

I've heard stories stating that IF we have fall sports it will be with no fans. Is this possible, especially with G5 schools?  I for one, am ready to take appropriate precautions, and sit in the stands with other Mean Green faithful to watch our beloved school play. I even had a dream last night that an AD official was stating that if there was no season, then season ticket purchases would be refunded or would be credited toward 2021. Did I hear this recently, or am I dreaming? 

Signed,

Desperate for Mean Green football!

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

Two reason's to consider on this:

can we afford FB without more broadcasting funds?

can we do without parking fees & stadium game day sales?

there will not be available vaccine supply, along with the fall is when viruses crank up & become a problem . We don't know about the CCP virus (China commie party virus) yet, so the thinking is not helping presently on playing FB this fall as WE are used to it.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, Mo Green said:

Two reason's to consider on this:

can we afford FB without more broadcasting funds?

can we do without parking fees & stadium game day sales?

there will not be available vaccine supply, along with the fall is when viruses crank up & become a problem . We don't know about the CCP virus (China commie party virus) yet, so the thinking is not helping presently on playing FB this fall as WE are used to it.

I wonder when we can expect a statement from the AD about this? Or I guess it will be a decision by the NCAA?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

I wonder when we can expect a statement from the AD about this? Or I guess it will be a decision by the NCAA?

I'm waiting for info on several things, will the high risk fans (I.e. Older monied, high risk individuals) how they will look at coming to ANY game if pros do it w/o fans in the stands (as it stands now?) big boys even speculated about starting February. They are staring at the same money problem ( just students aren't going to keep the ship afloat w/o higher price ticket packages being sold )! So the problem is keeping everyone safe to enjoy sports!

I think the NCAA is going to be told what to do from the beltway ( remember election year- who's going to take chances w lives for a little entertainment?).

Edited by Mo Green
  • Thanks 2

Not gonna happen in fall. The major CFB states - CA, TX, OH, FL, need to be open by the end of May for that to happen. I'd expect a Feb-June season, then an Oct-Feb, then a normal. 

Problem isn't only the fans, it's what happens when players inevitably turn up with infections.

NCAA does need to start in the academic year to get paid by broadcasters, although ironically given how little CUSA teams get out of media rights, and how much of our rights are streaming compared to others, the conference is actually better siTUated than other conferences with Larger diStributions Allowing for Teams which woULd be Almost always iN the rEd. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

5 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

I would be willing to sit in the stands, but I don't know if we'll be playing. I've already paid for my seats and mgsf, but they can keep that regardless. 

They should offer Season ticket holders access to Apogee to watch old games lol

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

I’m waiting for the black market “scrimmages” that you know Are going to happen in SEC country. Try to convince me that there will not be an iron bowl brawl recreation in a stadium that just happens to get broken into where 90,000 people accidentally rush in with instruments, Pom Poms, an elephant costume and real eagle. You can follow these black market scrimmage convoys into Tennessee where you will see some large gators walking across the street upright.  Or down in the Bayou where you will see a military takeover and a tiger cage being hauled across a field And another 92,000 loiterers 😉

I would drive to these park “gatherings” in a Hot minute.  
GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

Maybe this is a good opportunity for the conference to offer streaming on a mass scale. Since student-athletes are low risk, play the games in empty stadiums and stream the games for the fans.

I'll hang up now and take the ass whuppin!

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Maybe this is a good opportunity for the conference to offer streaming on a mass scale. Since student-athletes are low risk, play the games in empty stadiums and stream the games for the fans.

I'll hang up now and take the ass whuppin!

I think their contract is already with ESPN+ so you may be right.  They may just play the games without fans and show them online.

• Upvote 2

It’s truly begs the scenario regarding tailgating. It would be nothing to just hook up the games to huge TVs and find some discreet location where everybody could gather outside the stadium or near the stadium and have a throwdown party. So online is a nice option and that would protect the players but there’s gonna be some parties to find in the fall I promise you that. They just need to find a way to do some social distancing inside the stadiums. They just need to find a way to do some social distancing inside the stadiums. It will be interesting to see what happens in soccer Stadium’s in Europe before our football season arrives.
GMG

Edited by NM Green
  • Upvote 2

Things here, in Texas specifically, have not been as bad as other more densely populated areas, which makes sense.  I was expecting us to get harder more(holy crap I need to go to bed).  Maybe the social distancing worked, maybe because our population density is relatively lower and relative lower amounts of public transportation participation, but I don't see it getting worse.  My concern now is that this goes away in a month or two, we try to get back to normal, and wave 2 hits in the middle of next football season.

If I'm wrong and things get worse between now and August, well, there won't be a vaccine this year. We probably won't have college football. We may have professional football with no crowds.  I hate this shit but I'm grateful the impact in Texas has been somewhat minimal so far (comparatively, not trying to diminish the lives of those that were lost anywhere).

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

"The cart is in front of the horse" on this talk, as we should be concerned with UNT opening . What will it look like?

Consider this;

How can you have dorms open and social distance in the fall? Think CLASSES too! When will these decisions be made & who makes them- fed. gov., state gov., university ( we have over 70% of the worlds lawyers too to make matters worst).

How many students will now, because of the virus uncertainly, take their classes on line? Do these pay for athletics in the fall?

What is the virus do in the fall. How doers the government's react to it this fall?

What about OLDER professors- do they stay in the classes or just teach on-line?

Will Texas limit the size of class size, dorm or dining rooms?

What about financial consequences of all this(i.e. students money they paid for the school year refund or_____?, do they now take the  rest of their classes on-line (Cornell study said that in an average week the average student shares classes with > 500 other students...)?

What about the freshman class. Some university's are looking at the fall ( Cal. Berkeley has already taken a $200 million hit from lost revenue and additional expenses) do they have them in classes or at home on the net? One school is having 7.5 week classes to salvage the campus experience (if possible) to lower the interaction between students. This is serious folks.

What about self-quarantining for 14 days at school?

There are so much to think about here that isn't being talked about that needs to be considered rather than are we going to have FB or EVEN BB people.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2