New commit Terence Lewis

GrandGreen

15 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Lengthy offer list included BYU, Nevada, and UTA among others.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/terence-lewis-ii

Well now my depth chart has changed 

I think he could be a contender for 6th man with his length and athleticism 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Just watched his video. Mid range jumper and can put the ball on the floor with some quickness. Bell at the 3 him at the 4 could be dominating. I wonder if we push it more? A very exciting! GMG 

What about Reese? At the 2? 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

16 hours ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

He has quite the interesting touch in the paint. Almost comes off as out of control/awkward yet it clearly isn’t. Looks like a solid replacement for Gue if he really is a solid 6’7 guy. I’m happy to see Mac get more size that can still handle the ball and help push it.

Hamlet, Reese, Bell, Lewis, Simmons. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 4

55 minutes ago, Andrew said:

He has quite the interesting touch in the paint. Almost comes if as out of control/awkward yet it clearly isn’t. Looks like a solid replacement for Gue if he really is a solid 6’7 guy. I’m happy to see Mac get more size that can still handle the ball and help push it.

Hamlet, Reese, Bell, Lewis, Simmons. 

I think Mccasland has shown he wants more shooting on the court than that. Playing Bell, Lewis, and Simmons on the court together seems a lot like playing Bell, Geu, and Simmons together which we never saw this year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

14 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I think Mccasland has shown he wants more shooting on the court than that. Playing Bell, Lewis, and Simmons on the court together seems a lot like playing Bell, Geu, and Simmons together which we never saw this year. 

agree on the thoughts of Mac and what he wants on the court, but Lewis looks like a much bigger offensive threat that Geu was

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

agree on the thoughts of Mac and what he wants on the court, but Lewis looks like a much bigger offensive threat that Geu was

Not from 3. Three guys who operate primarily in the paint offensively on the court together doesn’t jive with the excellent court spacing we have seen under Mccasland. Especially when your PG Hamlet wants to get in the paint himself.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

This team looks too deep, need another ball in the game. 

I am surprised that McCasland signed a juco with his last ship.  That tells me that he believes Lewis is real good.

There is also a strong possibility that one of the freshman maybe good enough to force themselves into the starting lineup. 

As an aside, it kind of strange; nothing has been reported about the woman's team.   They only had two places and those were committed long ago, but that doesn't mean they should not get a little notice. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Not from 3. Three guys who operate primarily in the paint offensively on the court together doesn’t jive with the excellent court spacing we have seen under Mccasland. Especially when your PG Hamlet wants to get in the paint himself.

Maybe he went with that approach based on what he had? He just signed a couple guys with good inside games so maybe he will adjust a bit based on personnel. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

4 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Maybe he went with that approach based on what he had? He just signed a couple guys with good inside games so maybe he will adjust a bit based on personnel. 

I outlined his rotation tendencies in another thread. I think his roster construction makes a lot of sense and Lewis fits in with what he has done. I agree that you should adjust your rotations to your roster but I think he has done a good job of getting the guys he wants, therefore being able to construct his roster to fit his scheme.

From a spacing standpoint I expect to see a lot of the same from the past, of typically four guys in the lineup who can shoot threes and two of those guys being volume guys who are more than just capable three-point shooters.

If you look at Mccasland’s rotations since the CBI, he likes to have four guys on the court who can stretch the court from 3, with two of those guys being volume shooters.

In 18-19 when we were healthy we had Woolridge and either Mike Miller or Jahmiah Simmons as the guys who could shoot threes (although Simmons wasn’t able to do it effectively), and 2 of Duffy, Smart, and Gibson on the court at each time as our volume shooters.

This past season the only times we wouldn’t have 4 shooters and 2 volume shooters on the court was when Geu and Zach Simmons were on the court at the same time, although the plan going into the year was for Geu to stretch the floor from deep. Our rotation was pretty much 8 deep, which featured 6 guys who could shoot threes, with 4 being volume shooters (Gibson, Reese, Draper, and Smart). 

With the current 12 we have for next year, we only have three players who I see as volume shooters. James Reese, Mardrez McBride, and Rubin Jones. I think we will typically have 2 of those guys on the court most of the time in our rotation, although maybe Hamlet can be more of a volume shooter from deep this year with the way he shot the ball. Hamlet, Mykell Robinson, Larry Wise, and Thomas Bell are the guys on this roster who are three-point threats but not volume guys.

Because Mccasland likes to have that type of floor spacing, I don’t envision a lot of Ousmane and Zach Simmons on the floor together. Also, this is why it’s hard for me to see a lot of minutes for Jalen Jackson unless his shooting progresses a decent amount. He’s is not even a threat from deep, and our 5 usually is not a shooter so Jackson being on the court typically means only 3 shooters. That’s why he only got spot minutes this year instead of solid rotation minutes. Would love to see that happen because he is a great defender and a really good passer.

•  
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Yes I read that post. I just think that if he has a guy that can play around the rim he just might let him do so even if it means not having a 3 guy out there. Especially with a good FT guy. 

I think Lewis will play a lot, and so will Bell and Simmons. You have 80 minutes to fill between the 4 and the 5 spot each game. Simmons played about 24 minutes a game and Bell 24.5. I expect all of them to play plenty while not all sharing the court together.

Wouldn’t hate all 3 of them on the court together, especially when Hamlet is not in. But if Hamlet is in you want that middle of the court wide open which is much easier to do when you have 3-4 other shooters on the court instead of multiple guys who operate on the block, whose defender is already in good position for help on a drive to the basket. Make the defense choose between collapsing on him or letting him get to the basket. And if the defense is going to choose to collapse, you want guys who can make him pay from deep like Reese, McBride, and Rubin Jones. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I think Lewis will play a lot, and so will Bell and Simmons. You have 80 minutes to fill between the 4 and the 5 spot each game. Simmons played about 24 minutes a game and Bell 24.5. I expect all of them to play plenty while not all sharing the court together.

Wouldn’t hate all 3 of them on the court together, especially when Hamlet is not in. But if Hamlet is in you want that middle of the court wide open which is much easier to do when you have 3-4 other shooters on the court instead of multiple guys who operate on the block, whose defender is already in good position for help on a drive to the basket. Make the defense choose between collapsing on him or letting him get to the basket. And if the defense is going to choose to collapse, you want guys who can make him pay from deep like Reese, McBride, and Rubin Jones. 

Where do you see Mykell fitting?  Also where will this put Jamiah?

Edited by Coach Andy Mac

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Deng and Simmons seem to have had the same offense! Slam dunk  the ball. This guy has a mid range jumper, that neither had ( based off video) if it hold true teams playing a high zone D against us will be shot down. Double teaming Ham off the pick will also be challenging. Love the athleticism of the team! Outstanding!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1