JMU AD Hopes NCAA Is Flexible With Conference Rules

University presidents and athletic directors could ultimately decide conference realignment or the creation of a new conference is the best solution to combat the dire financial situations of their athletic departments. If so, the NCAA would have to change current policy in order for it to happen quickly, according to James Madison athletic director Jeff Bourne.

Already existing fiscal issues for many schools are magnified due to the impact of the coronavirus.

“We find ourselves in really tenuous times in terms of where schools are finding themselves today,” Bourne told the Daily News-Record. “I don’t know this for sure, but I’d anticipate and say the extreme times calls for extreme measures, and [the NCAA] probably would alter some of that thinking in regard to the ability of leagues being more nimble and changed and adjusted.

“And from the NCAA perspective, I could see a change happening there and willingness there.”

read more:  https://www.dnronline.com/coronavirus/jmu-ad-hopes-ncaa-is-flexible-with-conference-rules/article_cebbc2c8-8307-5404-b9ef-9544e641b6fd.html