Starting 20-21 lineup now after signings?

Jonnyeagle

My guesstimate:

Assume no injury and everyone is present and eligible

No question:

Z. Simmons

Hamlet

Probable:

Reese

Competition:

Bell

McBride

Ousmane

Robinson

Wise

Very long shots:

J Simmons

Jackson

Jones 

Filling the last two positions after Z. Simmons, Hamlet and Reese, I with little confident predict McBride and Bell

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Jackson will get some shots. The only person out of it right now is Miah. And maybe Jones if we redshirt him (which I hope we do). 

With our current roster, Jones is our best guard off the bench. Definitely our best offensive guard off the bench. Don’t think we can redshirt him with how little shooting we have in our other bench guards.

Our starting lineup with the current roster would probably be 

1 - Hamlet

2 - McBride

3 - Reese

4 - Bell

5 - Simmons

Off the bench I think we’ll Jones as the first guard off the bench, and Mykell Robinson and Abou Ousmane splitting Den Geu’s minutes. Geu’s minutes that he played at the 5 last year would go to Ousmane and the minutes he played at the 4 would go to Mykell Robinson.

Then Jackson and Wise would fight for the rest of the bench guard minutes. Last J Simmons and Alcindor would probably only play with foul trouble or blowouts. Jahmiah might play some due to experience if Robinson comes in playing like a freshman and needs some time.

But probably this last scholarship spot will go to someone who can play the 4 and some as an undersized 5, like Geu did.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

With our current roster, Jones is our best guard off the bench. Definitely our best offensive guard off the bench. Don’t think we can redshirt him with how little shooting we have in our other bench guards.

Our starting lineup with the current roster would probably be 

1 - Hamlet

2 - McBride

3 - Reese

4 - Bell

5 - Simmons

Off the bench I think we’ll Jones as the first guard off the bench, and Mykell Robinson and Abou Ousmane splitting Den Geu’s minutes. Geu’s minutes that he played at the 5 last year would go to Ousmane and the minutes he played at the 4 would go to Mykell Robinson.

Then Jackson and Wise would fight for the rest of the bench guard minutes. Last J Simmons and Alcindor would probably only play with foul trouble or blowouts. Jahmiah might play some due to experience if Robinson comes in playing like a freshman and needs some time.

But probably this last scholarship spot will go to someone who can play the 4 and some as an undersized 5, like Geu did.

That's exactly my projection, with the same stuff you said LOL

I say that Mykell is the 6th man with Abou and Jackson right behind. I feel like this team will play around 7 like WKU but still have the depth if needed

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

No shot at starting, he is not going to replace Hamlet.

He will likely play much more next year. 

I was referring to a shot off the bench. The comment I was referring to had him in the very long shot area of play time, yet he already received play time this past season as a true freshman on a very good team. We did bring in more depth, but I still think he gets utilized off the bench some. 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Andrew said:

I was referring to a shot off the bench. The comment I was referring to had him in the very long shot area of play time, yet he already received play time this past season as a true freshman on a very good team. We did bring in more depth, but I still think he gets utilized off the bench some. 

Once again, he has little probability (shot) at starting.  There is no comment by me stating he was a long shot at getting playing time, in fact I stated the exact opposite. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

14 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

That's exactly my projection, with the same stuff you said LOL

I say that Mykell is the 6th man with Abou and Jackson right behind. I feel like this team will play around 7 like WKU but still have the depth if needed

I think Rubin Jones is the 6th man.

If you look at Mccasland’s rotations since the CBI, he likes to have four guys on the court who can stretch the court from 3, with two of those guys being volume shooters.

In 18-19 when we were healthy we had Woolridge and either Mike Miller or Jahmiah Simmons as the guys who could shoot threes (although Simmons couldn’t do it effectively), and 2 of Duffy, Smart, and Gibson on the court at each time as our volume shooters.

This past season the only times we wouldn’t have 4 shooters and 2 volume shooters on the court was when Geu and Zach Simmons were on the court at the same time, although the plan going into the year was for Geu to stretch the floor from deep. Our rotation was pretty much 8 deep, which featured 6 guys who could shoot threes, with 4 being volume shooters (Gibson, Reese, Draper, and Smart). 

With the current 12 we have for next year, we only have three players who I see as volume shooters. James Reese, Mardrez McBride, and Rubin Jones. I think we will typically have 2 of those guys on the court most of the time in our rotation, although maybe Hamlet can be more of a volume shooter from deep this year with the way he shot the ball. Hamlet, Mykell Robinson, Larry Wise, and Thomas Bell are the guys on this roster who are three-point threats but not volume guys.

Because Mccasland likes to have that type of floor spacing, I don’t envision a lot of Ousmane and Zach Simmons on the floor together. Also, this is why it’s hard for me to see a lot of minutes for Jalen Jackson unless his shooting progresses a decent amount. He’s is not even a threat from deep, and our 5 usually is not a shooter so Jackson being on the court typically means only 3 shooters. That’s why he only got spot minutes this year instead of solid rotation minutes. Would love to see that happen because he is a great defender and a really good passer.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I think Rubin Jones is the 6th man.

If you look at Mccasland’s rotations since the CBI, he likes to have four guys on the court who can stretch the court from 3, with two of those guys being volume shooters.

In 18-19 when we were healthy we had Woolridge and either Mike Miller or Jahmiah Simmons as the guys who could shoot threes (although Simmons couldn’t do it effectively), and 2 of Duffy, Smart, and Gibson on the court at each time as our volume shooters.

This past season the only times we wouldn’t have 4 shooters and 2 volume shooters on the court was when Geu and Zach Simmons were on the court at the same time, although the plan going into the year was for Geu to stretch the floor from deep. Our rotation was pretty much 8 deep, which featured 6 guys who could shoot threes, with 4 being volume shooters (Gibson, Reese, Draper, and Smart). 

With the current 12 we have for next year, we only have three players who I see as volume shooters. James Reese, Mardrez McBride, and Rubin Jones. I think we will typically have 2 of those guys on the court most of the time in our rotation, although maybe Hamlet can be more of a volume shooter from deep this year with the way he shot the ball. Hamlet, Mykell Robinson, Larry Wise, and Thomas Bell are the guys on this roster who are three-point threats but not volume guys.

Because Mccasland likes to have that type of floor spacing, I don’t envision a lot of Ousmane and Zach Simmons on the floor together. Also, this is why it’s hard for me to see a lot of minutes for Jalen Jackson unless his shooting progresses a decent amount. He’s is not even a threat from deep, and our 5 usually is not a shooter so Jackson being on the court typically means only 3 shooters. That’s why he only got spot minutes this year instead of solid rotation minutes. Would love to see that happen because he is a great defender and a really good passer.

With Abdul gone, you think we add another guy? I mean we could use someone like a Geu

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Sad, but true.

Some sad perspective on the NTSU name: we are now further removed from that name (30+ years), then the actual time we had it (27 years).

Having said that, "State" was part of our name in one way or another going back to 1901.  I think that's why so much of the 50+ year old generation has a hard time shaking it. 

The post in question above says North Texas University, which is just idiotic.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Some sad perspective on the NTSU name: we are now further removed from that name (30+ years), then the actual time we had it (27 years).

Having said that, "State" was part of our name in one way or another going back to 1901.  I think that's why so much of the 50+ year old generation has a hard time shaking it. 

The post in question above says North Texas University, which is just idiotic.

People have the audacity to say NTU, and I just ignore it knowing I’ll get mad😂

• Upvote 1