New G-5 Conference for NT?

Jonnyeagle

18 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Houston would own their division. 

Nah.  Houston would find a way to screw it up.  

14 hours ago, Cougar King said:

We would drop football before joining a garbage conference like that. SMU would too.

TBH SMU has known desperation when we joined the damned 16 team MWC so I won't ever say 'never.'  

But the AAC is one good realignment raid away from the conference becoming something quite similar to that.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, wardly said:

We met the stadium requirements but the attendance. The big problem was that administration didn't see any value to athletics.

Actually, we didn't meet the stadium requirement. If we had designated Texas Stadium as our home stadium as Tex Schram wanted us to, we could have stayed 1A. It was a retroactive requirement meaning when it was announced, no schools had the option of complying. It was the only time the NCAA has made a retroactive requiremen for Division status. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

Actually, we didn't meet the stadium requirement. If we had designated Texas Stadium as our home stadium as Tex Schram wanted us to, we could have stayed 1A. It was a retroactive requirement meaning when it was announced, no schools had the option of complying. It was the only time the NCAA has made a retroactive requiremen for Division status. 

The fact that we then chose to stay at the lower classification for 12 freaking years is why we are where we are today. We killed off fans from the 70s, 80s, and 90s and just gave the power schools even more t-shirt fans.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

this is all wishful thinking... until the school can fill that stadium every week C-USA is the best option.  Ideally the AAC would be a good fit for UNT, unfortunately with SMU being 45 min away thats just not going to happen.  I have always thought the MWC would also be a good fit. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

13 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

this is all wishful thinking... until the school can fill that stadium every week C-USA is the best option.  Ideally the AAC would be a good fit for UNT, unfortunately with SMU being 45 min away thats just not going to happen.  I have always thought the MWC would also be a good fit. 

Not even the bigs (pre virus} fill their stadiums every game including teams like Alabama. 

Increased attendance would definitely benefit NT's athletic profile, but it is not what is holding NT back. 

Sure, if NT averaged 30K a game it would certainly help but that would be no guarantee of a better league.  Tha AAC has too many members that don't want area competition and the MWC is not likely to expand East. 

The P5 Big 12 might be the best chance but NT would have strong competition for that against teams like Memphis and UH.

All NT can do is consistently win in football and men's basketball and hope an opportunity comes.  

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

5 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Not even the bigs (pre virus} fill their stadiums every game including teams like Alabama. 

Increased attendance would definitely benefit NT's athletic profile, but it is not what is holding NT back. 

Sure, if NT averaged 30K a game it would certainly help but that would be no guarantee of a better league.  Tha AAC has too many members that don't want area competition and the MWC is not likely to expand East. 

The P5 Big 12 might be the best chance but NT would have strong competition for that against teams like Memphis and UH.

All NT can do is consistently win in football and men's basketball and hope an opportunity comes.  

The irony is that we started C-USA based on TV markets and then the value of TV markets went down in value.  Now it appears the value of TV markets may be back, especially if schools can't sell game tickets and club seats etc.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

The irony is that we started C-USA based on TV markets and then the value of TV markets went down in value.  Now it appears the value of TV markets may be back, especially if schools can't sell game tickets and club seats etc.

Why would the value of CUSA's T.V. market increase? I don't think we will have football or basketball until we had a vaccine for the Virus which is at least a year away.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, wardly said:

Why would the value of CUSA's T.V. market increase? I don't think we will have football or basketball until we had a vaccine for the Virus which is at least a year away.

They aren't stopping down for a vaccine.  Too many people will balk if it is made mandatory.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

The fact that we then chose to stay at the lower classification for 12 freaking years is why we are where we are today. We killed off fans from the 70s, 80s, and 90s and just gave the power schools even more t-shirt fans.

I have posted this story before, but incoming President Frank Vandiver [sic?]nearly killed the program. After Fry left I attended a meeting in Dallas with a group of like minded businessmen who planed to hire Abner Haynes , open an office, fund a secretary, and raise money for the athletic department. All we needed was a letter from Vandiver giving us authorization to solicit donations, which at that time were tax deductible. We invited him to attend this meeting but instead he sent a representative to inform us that NTSU would not support our efforts. This was a "what if" moment, which translated into 1AA or nothing. The rejection by Vandiver became a defining moment in North Texas athletics which in my opinion still haunts us today.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, wardly said:

Well, at 77 I renewed my club seats but don't intend to attend football or basketball until I receive a vaccine. It just doesn't  make sense for me.

No disrespect intended, but I would also choose to have the vaccine if I were 77. I just think many people will balk if it is made mandatory. Hope you are doing well and avoiding this virus. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3

14 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

SMU can barely fill up their damn stadium and is good like once every 3 years. They also won 3 games in their first 2 seasons in the AAC. To me they don’t deserve it and neither does half of that conference 

It was all about timing.  When the AAC was formed, SMU had begun to reach it's potential in C-USA while Southern Miss, for example, had bottomed out.  Before the transition was made, SMU had the 

1) largest football budget in CUSA

2)  highest paid HC in the conference

3)  highest budget for assistant coaches in the conference

4)  newest football stadium in the conference that had recently undergone a round of renovations and upgrades 

5)  arguably the best recruiting base in the conference

6) and was coming off a second place finish in the conference in football and a bowl win.

Meanwhile USM had bottomed out after making the DUMBEST firing in CFB history after firing Bower.  They were winless the year before the conferences creation and had thrown away their title of being the Boise State of the Southeast.  SMU was even formally invited to the Big East in 2011, leapfrogging schools like Memphis, East Carolina, and USM - we actually had our act together.  

But when that conference was created, you had to put SMU in over other schools based on what was going on at the time.  

• Upvote 3

I agree about timing which is why we cannot stop. UNT has done some fantastic improvements and our timing has always been just off or way off. Right now UNT has tremendous upside and value but the circumstances aren’t right. It’s funny because it feels like we all drive each other and seek to stay ahead TCU Baylor, TCU SMU, SMU UNT, UNT UTSA, UTSA Texas state, Texas state ?  There are just some programs you feel you must stay ahead of. La Tech has turned into a nice rivalry.  But UTSA just bugs and I don’t ever want to lose to them at anything!  

The reality is that we should All play each other more because the built in emotion is potent and present.  I would love to play smu In b-ball since I live 2 miles from the campus.  More importantly pre and post game meetups and tailgates would be awesome to enjoy more than once every 2 years.  

Who knows, once programs start dropping and things start shaking we will end up with even mire fun regional rivalries and/or series.

GMG

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

The problem as one poster pointed out and I hope they come up on the net and say so, maybe @GrandGreen....is that there are a bunch of programs that shouldn’t be Div-1 programs. The list:

Umass, South Alabama, UL-Monroe, ODU, Georgia St., Texas St., every team in the MAC except Ohio, New Mexico St., Liberty, Coastal Carolina 🥴

I’ll walk myself out. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

No disrespect intended, but I would also choose to have the vaccine if I were 77. I just think many people will balk if it is made mandatory. Hope you are doing well and avoiding this virus. 

Thanks. My wife of 41 years and I have been social distancing from each other for the past 10 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

On 4/17/2020 at 4:32 PM, wardly said:

Well, at 77 I renewed my club seats but don't intend to attend football or basketball until I receive a vaccine. It just doesn't  make sense for me.

Honestly if there's a football season it will be interesting to see who still comes to the Hub Club.  I'd say the average age of Hub Club ticket holder is in their early 60's.  Has to be 10+ years older than the average for the bowl seats. 

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 4:54 AM, VideoEagle said:

Why did we add bleacher seating for 10,000?

49 minutes ago, wardly said:

Why did we add bleacher seating for 10,000?

It was required at the time of our return to FBS, then known as D1 as opposed to D1A. The students passed an increase in student fees that would be reduced back to the original fees once the expansion was paid off. Someone earlier said a donor paid to add the seats but that is not correct. We also had to have an average attendance of an amount I do not recall (maybe 18,000). It was a mistake to rollback the student fees. I believe if had been left out of the language for the student vote it still would have passed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

It was required at the time of our return to FBS, then known as D1 as opposed to D1A. The students passed an increase in student fees that would be reduced back to the original fees once the expansion was paid off. Someone earlier said a donor paid to add the seats but that is not correct. We also had to have an average attendance of an amount I do not recall (maybe 18,000). It was a mistake to rollback the student fees. I believe if had been left out of the language for the student vote it still would have passed. 

I am the one who said that an alumn donated $1 million for bleacher seating for 10,000 and while my memory is foggy I believe it to be true. I will reach out to Hank to confirm. Thanks for correcting my mistake regarding the timing of their addition. I knew the seats were added as a requirement for 1A classification but thought it was required to remain at that level, not to regain it.