D1 Coaching Pay Cuts

MCMLXXX

Could this be the start of the "reigning in" of skyrocketing college football coaching salaries? Just wondering. I really doubt it, but it is something to think about.

And, with that thought in mind....is it the "push" needed to start reigning in the massive salaries of pro athletes and coaches? Without the revenue, will owners simply keep shelling out the "big bucks"?  Don/t know, but it seems the landscape might be changing a bit.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

10 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Seems logical....

And I'm sure many won't like this, but UNT should do the same.

As the leader of the team he should volunteer a good portion if not all of his $1m+ salary to help bolster the finances of the dept.  The whole coaching staff and everyone else on the payroll should take some level of cuts with it being dependent on their level in the Athletic Dept.

We did it with our company, and those of us at the top took the most substantial cuts to help make sure there was something left to scale up in the coming months.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

Imagine being an AD at an also-ran cellar dwelling P5 who got $50 million or $75 million or $100 million in debt issued for facilities counting on TV money to back then debt when you are facing the possibility that we don't play football and you don't get paid for games not shown.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

What this is going to show is what schools truly can afford athletics at the amount they’re spending, whether that’s salaries of coaches or cost to play. The other thing I expect to see is schools having a harder time justifying the athletics tax they’ve been charging in student fees.

I think this may well be the thing that finally separates the haves and have-nots officially. Schools are going to have to figure out how vested they really are in sports. My guess is a good chunk will have to downshift or shut down sports all together. Dropping a sport, as some schools have done, may just be the beginning.

Many athletic departments have been living beyond their means for a long time and universities have propped them up. Some schools are not going to have the cash flow to do that during the lean times.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Could this be the start of the "reigning in" of skyrocketing college football coaching salaries? Just wondering. I really doubt it, but it is something to think about.

And, with that thought in mind....is it the "push" needed to start reigning in the massive salaries of pro athletes and coaches? Without the revenue, will owners simply keep shelling out the "big bucks"?  Don/t know, but it seems the landscape might be changing a bit.

Sadly, not just is sports, but in many business, companies will use this to "adjust". After the issues in the automotive area a few years back (and no, I am not comparing the two) many companies phased out higher paid and more experienced employees. I work in Logistics and I have already seen several companies furlough/lay-off their "experienced" staff and keep the newer, lower paid employees on hand. Not say it's right or wrong, but some companies will use this to "restructure".  

Back in the day no coach could make more than the president of the university and I'd really like to see that standard returned.  

When there is no ceiling on coaches salaries it only exacerbates the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.  No G5 (unless BYU is considered a G5) can keep up with the majority of P5s and will go broke trying.  

Having said that, I believe that there may be some cuts (mostly among the poorer teams) but the cuts may very well be temporary.  As the economy prints more money it will weaken the buying power of current salaries so in a sense they will be taking a pay cut if they just stay in place.  As the economy recovers there could very well be another arms race to try to keep up with the 'haves'.