Coach Chuck Mills - RIP

Harry

image.png

Big loss for the UNT community and me personally tonight folks.  I am receiving reports that great UNT player and coach Chuck Mills has passed on.  I knew him personally and was always struck at what a larger than life person he was.  He was an amazing coach, so knowledgeable and a great teacher. He was a damn good football player.  His fellow coaches and players adored him.  He also was very well respected throughout the state and nation.  He was one of the funniest guys you have ever met and his laughter was contagious.   He represented UNT to the very end as I often saw him at UNT games and events.  Our deepest sympathies go out to his family which includes his son former UNT QB Jason Mills.  

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61047/m1/106/

17 minutes ago, greenminer said:

sorry to hear, Harry.   Is this the same Mills that coached at Utah St?

Greenminer thank you, no I don't think he coached there but I may be wrong.  He coached under Corky Nelson, Matt Simon and Darrell Dickey at UNT for a time.  I am not sure where or if he coached after.  I do believe he was a high school coach at Lewisville for a period of time.

He coached the UNT linebackers and was a great recruiter.  For instance, he was involved in us landing Jonas Buckles out of Houston.  His son Jason was a QB at UNT under Simon.  He recruited the golden triangle as a coach.  He was also a  good player at UNT.   After he left coaching I do believe he was involved with a national turf company that we used for the Apogee Stadium opening.  He was always very kind to me and I learned a lot about football from just having conversations with him.  I received a PM from one of his players who is a member here.  I wish I could post his message as it shows how deeply his players felt about him.  I know there are many on this site that knew him and were touched by him over the years.  He will be missed by so many.  RIP Coach Mills.

Mills was very emotional in his speech, taking time to collect himself. The three-sport star at Dickinson High School was a two-year starting defensive end for the Apaches. He started his junior and senior seasons at North Texas State University, now the University of North Texas.

He received six Coach of the Year awards while coaching football in high school (Boswell, Abilene, Decatur, Liberty, Connally and Lewisville). He later coached 13 seasons at UNT.

He was inducted into the Tyler Junior College Hall of Fame back in 2016:

https://tylerpaper.com/sports/college/plenty-of-smiles-at-tjc-s-circle-of-honor-induction/article_73337c12-889f-50cf-b7f5-bafadbf27486.html

We lost a good man.

I met Coach Mills a couple of time when he came down to The Golden Triangle recruiting.  As did Freddie Kitchens.  I always took them out for dinner when they were in the area recruiting.  Good guys.  Coach Mills lived and breathed UNT football.

Chuck Mills was an outstanding LB for NT when I was in school.  Good guy.  So sorry he has passed. May he Rest In Peace.

For what it’s worth, I lost my Dad 10 years ago on Easter Sunday.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2020 at 8:36 AM, Eagle71 said:

Sad news indeed. Chuck was a buddy back in our college days at NTSU.  He was a great guy and will be missed by many.

'70 photo

Chuck Mills frosh coach0001.jpg

Seeing that picture reminded me of Gary Ness.  Super nice man.  I looked him up and he passed away last year.

https://golobos.com/news/2019/2/19/general-former-athletic-director-dr-gary-ness-passes-away.aspx

• Upvote 2