Position Group Breakdowns: Wide Receivers

Harry

DENTON – The Mean Green receiving corps is one of the most talented and explosive groups within the program. 2020 marks the first time the group will be working with a new starting quarterback under head coach Seth Littrell and associate head coach/co-offensive coordinator and receivers coach Tommy Mainord. We take a deep dive into the wide receivers room in this edition of position group breakdowns.

"I'm very excited about this group coming back," Mainord said. "We have great leadership with our seniors Jaelon [Darden] and Deion [Hair-Griffin] and a lot of younger guys that have the talent to do big things. I'm also very excited about the two incoming freshmen coming in.

"We are all right now just focusing on everyone and their families staying safe during these unique times, making sure we are on top of our academics and working out independently as much as we can. The hard part is just not being able to see them. We have a great room of people that pull for one another and is a very close-knit group. We are making sure we get together using technology to stay connected. I know without having spring ball, the receivers are hungry to get back out there as soon as they can. They are a group of men that love to compete and love [the game of] football. I can't wait to get back out there and watch them succeed. It should be a lot of fun once the season gets started."

Outgoing:
Three receivers from last season's roster have moved on, two of which graduated, and another who decided to enter the transfer portal.

The Mean Green see a major piece in slot receiver Michael Lawrence graduate after a stellar career in Denton. Originally a preferred walk-on, Lawrence earned a scholarship and a shot to compete at the next level with his productive career at UNT. Lawrence finished his career with 143 receptions (ninth most in program history) for 1,929 yards (12th in program history) and nine touchdowns, averaging 13.5 yards per catch across 46 career appearances. The Sweetwater, Texas, native was the team's second-leading receiver in 2019, after he caught 48 passes for 661 yards and three touchdowns.

In addition to Lawrence, Dennis Smith has graduated as well. Smith, originally a transfer from Sterling College. Smith made one appearance and had one career catch for the Mean Green.

The third and final outgoing player from the 2019 team is Rico Bussey, Jr., who entered his name in the transfer portal. Bussey had a very productive career for the Mean Green, hauling in 128 career receptions for 1,941 yards (ninth in program history) and 21 touchdowns (tied for fourth in program history). Bussey appeared in just three games in 2019 before suffering a season-ending injury in the game at California in September. Bussey had five catches for 150 yards and a score this past season.

New Faces:
There are just two new names in the wide receivers room, both of which will join the program in the fall.

Detraveon Brown freshman (arriving in the fall) – Shreveport, Louisiana (Northwood HS)
Brown was a late surprise commitment during the February signing period and was rated a three-star prospect by 247Sports and was the No. 43 player out of the state of Louisiana. He made 37 appearances at Northwood High School and totaled 151 receptions for 2,568 yards and 46 touchdowns. As a senior, Brown was named to the Louisiana Sports Writers Association all-state honorable mention team after catching 57 passes for 904 yards and 20 touchdowns in 2019. Brown, who measures at 5'11" and 178 pounds, was a highly-sought after prospect who at times held offers from Colorado State, Houston, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Louisiana Tech, Louisiana-Monroe, Ole Miss, South Alabama, Southern Miss and UT San Antonio.

Loronzo Thompson – freshman (arriving in the fall) – Friendswood, Texas (Clear Brook HS)
Thompson, like Brown, was rated a three-star prospect by 247Sports and ESPN. Thompson came in at No. 76 on Vype Houston's Hot 100 List for the 2020 class and was named Second Team All-District 24-6A following his senior season. The 6'0", 160-pound receiver was a two-time letter winner at Clear Brook High School and had 96 catches for 1,191 yards and 15 total touchdowns (12 receiving) in two varsity seasons. He made 10 appearances as a senior and caught 42 passes for 578 yards and six touchdowns and tacked on 99 yards rushing and another two scores.

Read more:  https://meangreensports.com/news/2020/4/9/football-position-group-breakdowns-wide-receivers.aspx

Obviously since the dept is writing about this it seems clear Rico is gone. But wishful thinking and maybe even crazy thinking: I wonder if there is any chance that the situation surrounding COVID changes his calculations in any way. Could be really difficult to break into a lineup if Spring/Summer workouts don’t happen. Could be better for him to stay in this system and star. 
Random thought on another lockdown day. 

• Upvote 1

This is truly a talented group.  Darden had 12 receiving touchdowns last year...Shorter 7.  .  

But a large amount of talent comes from those who have yet to play or have played a limited amount.  I'm waiting with baited breath to see Khatib Lyles, Damon Ward and Kealon Jackson.  I think that Datraveon Brown and Laronzo Thompson will also bave an excellent career although one or both may have to wait another year.  Deonte Simpson seems to have already taken over Bussey's spot and will do well.  Greg White is already pretty solid and Austin Ogunmakin has potential.

Even some of the walkons would have been scholarship athletes in prior years.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

This is truly a talented group.  Darden had 12 receiving touchdowns last year...Shorter 7.  .  

But a large amount of talent comes from those who have yet to play or have played a limited amount.  I'm waiting with baited breath to see Khatib Lyles, Damon Ward and Kealon Jackson.  I think that Datraveon Brown and Laronzo Thompson will also bave an excellent career although one or both may have to wait another year.  Deonte Simpson seems to have already taken over Bussey's spot and will do well.  Greg White is already pretty solid and Austin Ogunmakin has potential.

Even some of the walkons would have been scholarship athletes in prior years.

Now with the main WRs having more experience, they should be even better. Now they need a QB

Also, I would bet that we see at least 2 of them on a 1st or 2nd team

• Lovely Take 1

• Harry unpinned this topic