BOOM! JUCO Guard Mardrez McBride commits to UNT!

4 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

He’s taking Gibson’s spot

Gibson was going to be benched. I figure he might start and Reese and Bell contend for the 3, but idk. With all this stuff going on I never get to talk to my guys who knows the team and coaches haha. I’m out in the wind here haha. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 4

34 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Gibson was going to be benched. I figure he might start and Reese and Bell contend for the 3, but idk. With all this stuff going on I never get to talk to my guys who knows the team and coaches haha. I’m out in the wind here haha. 

If Gibson, who started every game at the 2 last year, was going to be benched, who was it going to be in favor of?

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

If Gibson, who started every game at the 2 last year, was going to be benched, who was it going to be in favor of?

Who ever had a better attitude and kept his head in the game I guess. I will admit Mcasland never had the dog house like JJ did though. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Who ever had a better attitude and kept his head in the game I guess. I will admit Mcasland never had the dog house like JJ did though. 

We did not have an internal option to take Gibson’s spot and we only got one in McBride because Gibson left. Didn’t offer him until after Gibson announced he was transferring.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

47 minutes ago, Andrew said:

If McCasland doesn't have a doghouse, which you seem to think, then Gibson starts.

If Gibson is benched, which you seem to think, then McCasland has a doghouse.

Which is it?

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, greenminer said:

If McCasland doesn't have a doghouse, which you seem to think, then Gibson starts.

If Gibson is benched, which you seem to think, then McCasland has a doghouse.

Which is it?

He hasn’t had one... but he is also still the new guy. I bet eventually he develops one. JJ didn’t have one for a while. At least as I recall. 

Plus you want to win and you play Gibson hoping he gives 100%, but Eventually we all know he stopped. His family wasn’t even attending games at the end. I’m sure there is more to this than any of us know. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Welcome recruits! Now watch this:

"I don't want to win 15 games, I wanna win a championship! So you have to go over the top to win a championship"

LOVE THAT!!!

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

He hasn’t had one... but he is also still the new guy. 

"He's still the new guy."

3 seasons into this ride and he's brought in a CBI title, a CUSA reg season title, and an assumed NCAA invite.  Following Benford's tenure.

At what point does he become more confident in his position/title?

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

"He's still the new guy."

3 seasons into this ride and he's brought in a CBI title, a CUSA reg season title, and an assumed NCAA invite.  Following Benford's tenure.

At what point does he become more confident in his position/title?

Wasn’t it about year 4-5 when JJ really started benching Tristan. I could be wrong but somewhere in there. So this season or next season and Mac might do it, if he sees fit. In all honesty I hope we keep him. He has taken this program to a new level in a short amount time, but we still have a lot more do and I hope he stays along for the ride. 🙂

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

On 4/15/2020 at 11:36 PM, Andrew said:

Wasn’t it about year 4-5 when JJ really started benching Tristan. I could be wrong but somewhere in there. So this season or next season and Mac might do it, if he sees fit. In all honesty I hope we keep him. He has taken this program to a new level in a short amount time, but we still have a lot more do and I hope he stays along for the ride. 🙂

"New guy" psychology is not necessarily based on tenure.  It's based on whether you're in a position of authority.

If you're Bill Belichick and you join a local, established football coaches association, you think they're gonna make you sit in line for 3 years before you can give your first coaching lecture on defense? You think they don't give a damn about your SB titles because "Coach B is the new guy who's in his first year"?  Of course not! Put Bill at a podium and let the guy teach you something on day 1!

I don't really care about JJ in this situation: Mac has a postseason title and a CUSA title (accentuated by the programs first win over WKU in like 8 years) in 3 seasons.  He knows what he is doing, has the complete faith and trust of the administration and roster.  If he has an internal attitude problem with one of his guys, there is zero reason to think Mac would hesitate to handle it appropriately.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/26/2020 at 2:28 PM, GrandGreen said:

That is what is amazing to me.   He looks like a great recruit and it is someone that McCasland just went out and got after Gibson departed.  He could very well turn out to be better than Gibson.  

And Gibson will have 1 year at OU

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...