'21 OLB Offer: Willie Simmons; Elgin: [SIGNED LOI]

It is funny what these kids (or whoever is putting together their highlight video) think is a highlight.

Putting pressure on a QB when the other team blows an assignment is not really a highlight.

I was much more impressed with the second play  and another late in the film when a lineman tries to kick him out and he drops him like a bad habit.  I like when people try to cut him and he has good feet and great hands.  I like how he moves lateral keeping his shoulders square.  I like how he runs in man coverage.  But pushing down a QB when you weren't blocked..... well, okay I guess.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, greenminer said:

I'd defer to @BillySee58 who says he likes him.  Keep in mind he's a '21, so it's pretty far away.

I guess that's my main question since he seems to put more emphasis on offer lists than others. Not that anyone is the particular end all on which recruits can play, but I do think most people would prefer we signed guys that have multiple D1 offers

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I guess that's my main question since he seems to put more emphasis on offer lists than others. Not that anyone is the particular end all on which recruits can play, but I do think most people would prefer we signed guys that have multiple D1 offers

Not all offer lists are created under the same circumstances. Obviously with the ongoing pandemic and him not having a chance to hit up summer camps and get his profile up he’s not going to have the offer list he would if he were waiting until August to commit. 

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

34 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Not all offer lists are created under the same circumstances. Obviously with the ongoing pandemic and him not having a chance to hit up summer camps and get his profile up he’s not going to have the offer list he would if he were waiting until August to commit. 

You know, I think this particular class is going to be one that defines several programs and coaching staffs.   
How much work will the big programs put in to dig and find rough diamonds?   
How many guys will fall through the cracks because they can't dominate 7-v-7 Summer camps, but their Junior season tape was just "good"?
How many guys will commit earlier than they normally would because of the uncertainty of it all?
How many guys will commit later than they normally would for the same reasons?

We've seen it a lot over the past few offseasons, where NT offers a dude early, then they blow up over the summer camps and all the P5 offers start rolling in.  

That could possibly be the case here with Simmons.  ... or Jones, or Gray, or whoever is next.   Maybe one of these NR guys would have broken out during the summer and blew up, but they committed to us in April instead... so their ratings stay lower (comparatively).

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You know, I think this particular class is going to be one that defines several programs and coaching staffs.   
How many guys will fall through the cracks because they can't dominate 7-v-7 Summer camps, but their Junior season tape was just "good"?
How many guys will commit earlier than they normally would because of the uncertainty of it all?

We've seen it a lot over the past few offseasons, where NT offers a dude early, then they blow up over the summer camps and all the P5 offers start rolling in.  

That could possibly be the case here with Simmons.  ... or Jones, or Gray, or whoever is next.   Maybe one of these NR guys would have broken out during the summer and blew up, but they committed to us in April instead... so their ratings stay lower (comparatively).

Completely agree. I think we’re about to see that with the NFL draft as well.

• Upvote 1

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Article/OLB-Willie-Simmons-commits-to-North-Texas-Mean-Green-football-145986434/

At 6-foot-1, Simmons’ tape shows a freak athlete who is active on the edge and able to use his speed to outrun tackles and size to intimidate running backs and tight ends. Furthermore, he appears to play the game with a certain energy resulting in monster hits and special plays

54 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Solid post MGT, and I will add - I think location will play a much larger role in the decisions than perhaps before.  I think families will want their kids to stay closer to home given the situation we are in right now with Covid-19.  Families will want to be able to drive to see their kids play versus fly etc.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Solid post MGT, and I will add - I think location will play a much larger role in the decisions than perhaps before.  I think families will want their kids to stay closer to home given the situation we are in right now with Covid-19.  Families will want to be able to drive to see their kids play versus fly etc.

Excellent points as well, Harry.  Wonder if our recruiters are going over the lists of recruits we have offered but they chose to commit elsewhere?   Because of the situation nationwide, Mom and Dad may not want their 6-4, 230lb linebacker son with 4-6 speed to go to that school in Colorado or Mississippi.  Junior needs to stay closer to home.

• Upvote 1

On 4/12/2020 at 8:37 PM, MGNation92 said:

We're his only offer? I might be more excited if there were more offers.

Either way, welcome to the Mean Green Willie

On 4/12/2020 at 8:38 PM, greenminer said:

I'd defer to @BillySee58 who says he likes him.  Keep in mind he's a '21, so it's pretty far away.

On 4/13/2020 at 10:52 PM, GrandGreen said:

Normal, is that NT is the first to offer.   Then a number of schools follow suit. 

This player made the great decision to commit early and probably won't pile up the offers.  

There is no reason at this time for NT to commit to any player unless he is a big recruiting target. 

Has picked up offers from Missouri State, New Mexico, and Air Force since committing to us. Hopefully this is a similar case to Jacobi Johnson where we get him early on then hold onto him if/when bigger schools start snooping around.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...