Karen Aston fired at Texas

Aston’s teams posted a 184-83 (93-51 Big 12) record in eight seasons at Texas. The Longhorns made four straight Sweet 16 appearances from 2015-18, reaching the Elite Eight in 2016 before falling to eventual national champion UConn in the Bridgeport Regional final.

• Upvote 5

49 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Without me looking up her record at UT,  I didn’t think she did that well.  Never could get over the Baylor hump.

2013: no tourney
2014: Round of 32
2015: S16
2016: E8
2017: S16
2018: S16
2019: 1st Round loss
2020: 19-11 (11-7)

The best I can come up with is that UT saw something on the wall that this was the beginning of a downward spiral.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

The best I can come up with is that UT saw something on the wall that this was the beginning of a downward spiral.

Shut out of the NCAA and NIT this year. She didn't even make it past the first game of the Big 12 tournament. Troubling trend... 

The Baylor thing is pretty damning. Knowing that's a criteria, I'd keep an eye on Geno Auriemma. One of two or three that checks their boxes. 

47 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Shut out of the NCAA and NIT this year. She didn't even make it past the first game of the Big 12 tournament. Troubling trend... 

Saw this coming.  Too easy lol 

Knowing that's a criteria, I'd keep an eye on Geno Auriemma. One of two or three that checks their boxes. 

Keep an eye on Kim Mulkey.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

2020: 19-11 (11-7)

All true.  But she never could get over the Baylor hump.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

All true.  But she never could get over the Baylor hump.

I was responding to any notion that she "didn't do that well."

She did not get over the Baylor hump.  But this is a questionable move if UT doesn't have someone in place that is at/better than the Baylor coach.

If they don't have anyone, and they just make an "ordinary" next hire, then we all learn a little bit more about how delusional UT's perception of itself is.

• Upvote 2