Mo Gibson Transferring

On 4/4/2020 at 11:22 AM, KRAM1 said:

Style? Mo said that he was transferring because he wanted to start at point guard...and we know who will be starting at point. Seems to me it has more to do with Mo's wishes rather than Coach Mac's style. But, whatever the reason, we should wish him well. I do think Coach Mac was a tad surprised by this, but am 100% certain that he will find a worthy replacement rather quickly.

He can"t penetrate off his dribble at this level. He might be able at a lower level conference, but not  at a P5! Good luck! GMG

• Upvote 3

One of NT best players transfers, and all of a sudden he just can't make it somewhere else.

He has played the point a few times at NT and I don't see any reason he can't play it full time.

However, at the same time I don't see Gibson as a hot commodity, if he insists on playing pg.  He could actually end up at a lower tier team if he truly insists on being a point. 

Teams will want Gibson because of his shooting, but few are going to want an unproven pg to run their team. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

On 4/8/2020 at 9:43 AM, GrandGreen said:

One of NT best players transfers, and all of a sudden he just can't make it somewhere else.

He has played the point a few times at NT and I don't see any reason he can't play it full time.

However, at the same time I don't see Gibson as a hot commodity, if he insists on playing pg.  He could actually end up at a lower tier team if he truly insists on being a point. 

Teams will want Gibson because of his shooting, but few are going to want an unproven pg to run their team. 

I don't think people are arguing that he cant make somewhere else, just that (myself included) don't think he is going to make it somewhere else as a PG.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

I don't think people are arguing that he cant make somewhere else, just that (myself included) don't think he is going to make it somewhere else as a PG.  

I absolutely think he can play PG at the D1 level.   I dunno about professionally.

Unfortunately for him, he can't play it at the same level as one of the best D1 PGs in the country... who also happened to be on his team.   He'll do well somewhere else, but his future team may not win as much as North Texas.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 4/9/2020 at 11:27 AM, southsideguy said:

we will miss him for sure, he lead many nights in scoring.  I love for him to stay but if he wants to play pg he is better off transferring.  

Before cusa play he did. He was unconscious the OOC part of the schedule, but fell down to earth like right after WKU. Had some good games, but Javion took over! 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

SoonersWire

si.com

247Sports.com

The language in all these articles suggests he is not guaranteed a starting PG role.

This is still very weird to me.  He has no guarantee of getting a transfer waiver to play immediately, and now we see him choose a team that doesn't even promise his desired role.

Best wishes to you, Mo.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Have you checked on your friend’s mental state? 

OMG haha this is classic actually. One OU has one of our best athletes to come out of our school already. DoesGibson think he is going to take the ball away from Devion?

I guess it’s times like these I wish I was at work even though I’m usually considered a bit crazy for preaching UNT so much haha. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

31 minutes ago, greenminer said:

SoonersWire

si.com

247Sports.com

The language in all these articles suggests he is not guaranteed a starting PG role.

This is still very weird to me.  He has no guarantee of getting a transfer waiver to play immediately, and now we see him choose a team that doesn't even promise his desired role.

Best wishes to you, Mo.

There's always the possibility that there are other reasons and that he's just trying to take the classy route by focusing on position.

He's a huge loss, but oh well.  That's life in today's college basketball landscape.  I'm really excited about our new commits, so hopefully this will be a win-win for both parties.

Thanks for the memories, Mo! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Andrew said:

So, from I am told Gibson is going to start at the 2. I’m confused considering his reasoning was to play the 1. My sources could be wrong, but I will admit I know a few people who run pretty deep at OU. 

If there's info conflicting with all this NBA PG stuff, then IMO there are other reasons that he didn't want to talk about and its def time to move on.

@Greendylan yep.

17 minutes ago, greenminer said:

If there's info conflicting with all this NBA PG stuff, then IMO there are other reasons that he didn't want to talk about and its def time to move on.

@Greendylan yep.

I was already baffled as to the NBA talk. The point guard talk just pushed it over the edge. I am curious as to what his reasoning is. He isn’t going to start at PG at OU and he won’t be the number 1,2 or even 3 option on that team. I could be wrong, but this move is incredibly funny to me. 

it reminds me of a player we had decades ago who transferred to UT and essentially went from a solid player here to nothing down there in Austin. I cannot remember who it was... Deginald Erskin is the name that comes to mind but I could be wrong and no clue on the spelling. Gibson seems willing to take a back seat roll to just leave... 

• Downvote 1