Mo Gibson Transferring

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I personally never considered Ryan's departure reason for concern.

I don't find Mo's decision concerning, per se, just so very very odd.

Agree.  I find Mo's selfish.  He doesn't handle the ball well enough to play point.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Anything is possible, but the concern is Mac has now lost two of his top players in consecutive seasons with Ryan leaving for Gonzaga last year.   This one hurts.  Mo had two more years to terrorize opponents..

I mean Grant was the one to recruit Mo unlike Ryan. That’s what makes no sense

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Would love to see him here.  Any idea on our chances of signing him?

No clue. He was offered before the season, back in August I believe, so he could easily be a guy we haven’t been in much contact with of late. But losing Gibson certainly makes pursuing make more sense now than before he had left.

If we do pursue him, his offer list is lengthy but not many teams on that list who are particularly daunting in head-to-head recruiting matches.

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, RiseUNT said:

Coach gets results but his style is not for everyone. 

Style? Mo said that he was transferring because he wanted to start at point guard...and we know who will be starting at point. Seems to me it has more to do with Mo's wishes rather than Coach Mac's style. But, whatever the reason, we should wish him well. I do think Coach Mac was a tad surprised by this, but am 100% certain that he will find a worthy replacement rather quickly.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Style? Mo said that he was transferring because he wanted to start at point guard...and we know who will be starting at point. Seems to me it has more to do with Mo's wishes rather than Coach Mac's style. But, whatever the reason, we should wish him well. I do think Coach Mac was a tad surprised by this, but am 100% certain that he will find a worthy replacement rather quickly.

The problem with this logic on Mo’s end, and @97and03 already pointed it out, is that Hamlet is a senior. If Mo had stayed his path would look like this:

20-21 season - Starting 2 guard and backup point guard for UNT as a redshirt junior

21-22 season - Chance to become starting point guard for UNT as a redshirt senior

And by transferring his path looks like this:

20-21 season - sit out the whole season and burn his redshirt junior season

21-22 season - Chance to become starting point guard for the school he transfers to

People keep saying he wouldn’t have a chance to become the starting point guard here because of Hamlet, but that’s not looking at the real opportunity cost here. He can’t start at point guard for any D1 school this season because he has to sit out. Then by the time he’d be eligible at his next school, Hamlet would be gone. So Hamlet really doesn’t present a valid explanation for transferring now.

• Upvote 7

32 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

The problem with this logic on Mo’s end, and @97and03 already pointed it out, is that Hamlet is a senior. If Mo had stayed his path would look like this:

20-21 season - Starting 2 guard and backup point guard for UNT as a redshirt junior

21-22 season - Chance to become starting point guard for UNT as a redshirt senior

And by transferring his path looks like this:

20-21 season - sit out the whole season and burn his redshirt junior season

21-22 season - Chance to become starting point guard for the school he transfers to

People keep saying he wouldn’t have a chance to become the starting point guard here because of Hamlet, but that’s not looking at the real opportunity cost here. He can’t start at point guard for any D1 school this season because he has to sit out. Then by the time he’d be eligible at his next school, Hamlet would be gone. So Hamlet really doesn’t present a valid explanation for transferring now.

Again, do you know that he can't graduate transfer after this academic year?  I agree with you and others that his makes little sense if that is not the case.

He will have completed three years at NT and it would have been easy for him to pick up the necessary hours to graduate in summer school.   There is also the possibility that he could attend summer school this year.  

My bet is that he will be playing next year.   

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Again, do you know that he can't graduate transfer after this academic year?  I agree with you and others that his makes little sense if that is not the case.

He will have completed three years at NT and it would have been easy for him to pick up the necessary hours to graduate in summer school.   There is also the possibility that he could attend summer school this year.  

My bet is that he will be playing next year.   

The below post explains why I’m presuming he will not be a grad transfer until that information explicitly comes out. In short, three reporters, including a national reporter who the transfer was strategically leaked to, all have not said he’s a grad transfer when it clearly would be more beneficial for him to have that fact disseminated. And Goodman’s MO is to explicitly state that a player is grad transferring when he is a grad transfer. 

23 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

nba playoffs GIF by Bleacher Report

Chill, John! I ain’t worth it!

But seriously, I think this is a pretty important detail and both reports are sourced. If he was going as a grad transfer that should have been basically the number one detail Brett and Brune would ask about. When Jeremy Combs transferred after 3 years Brett was reporting that he’d be going out as a grad transfer about as soon as he was able to get sources on the transfer. I’m giving them the credit in this case that they wouldn’t source the info and say he will have to sit out a year without actually asking if he would be going as a grad transfer.

Also, the first person to report this was Jeff Goodman. The most likely reason he got the scoop here over the guys who cover UNT is because someone wanted to get his transfer as much exposure as possible. When someone is grad transferring, he’ll say it in his tweet.

Maybe whoever leaked it left out that incredibly important detail, or maybe Mo is feverishly trying to graduate before his scholarship for the academic year expires. But three reports and zero mentioning he is going as a grad transfer is pretty strong evidence imo. 

Also not showing as a grad transfer in the transfer listings

https://watchstadium.com/college-basketballs-2019-20-midseason-transfer-list-10-31-2019/amp/?__twitter_impression=truest 

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Basketball/TransferPortal/

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

The below post explains why I’m presuming he will not be a grad transfer until that information explicitly comes out. In short, three reporters, including a national reporter who the transfer was strategically leaked to, all have not said he’s a grad transfer when it clearly would be more beneficial for him to have that fact disseminated. And Goodman’s MO is to explicitly state that a player is grad transferring when he is a grad transfer. 

Also not showing as a grad transfer in the transfer listings

https://watchstadium.com/college-basketballs-2019-20-midseason-transfer-list-10-31-2019/amp/?__twitter_impression=truest 

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Basketball/TransferPortal/

Thanks for your reply.   This is logical based on the reports, however circumstantial.  I wish Vito or someone would just ask him,  

Still, he had or has opportunity to get a degree and I think that is a lot more likely than him making a decision to lose a year of competition.   

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Thanks for your reply.   This is logical based on the reports, however circumstantial.  I wish Vito or someone would just ask him,  

Still, he had or has opportunity to get a degree and I think that is a lot more likely than him making a decision to lose a year of competition.   

That seems logical to you and I, but put yourself in a 20-22 year old mind and ask that question. I know when I was that age, I didn't always make the decisions that were logical even though my parents and older people tried to tell me what was best. If his focus is NBA only, then he may not care about school as much. Hence the reason you have so many of those kids that like to do one and done. They never really wanted to be in school. They just view it as a necessary evil to get to the NBA since they can't go straight there from HS any longer. He is probably looking at Woolridge at Gonzaga and thinking he can get to a highly ranked program as well. He probably thinks that all he needs is one great year at a highly ranked program. Long shot? Yes. But, again, look at his age. Not saying all kids that age make bad decisions, but there are quite a few who don't make the best decisions. Then when you get older, you look back and say I wish I would have done so and so. Hindsight is always 20/20. I tend to think that three reporters not reporting him as a grad transfer is very telling.

Edited by Venson
Capitalization
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Gibson won't be in the NBA and will most likely end up in Europe.  He can play at UNT and still get notice by the Europe teams.  The NBA is an elite league and I don't think Woolridge will be there and most likely be playing in Europe next year if he wants to continue playing basketball.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Gibson won't be in the NBA and will most likely end up in Europe.  He can play at UNT and still get notice by the Europe teams.  The NBA is an elite league and I don't think Woolridge will be there and most likely be playing in Europe next year if he wants to continue playing basketball.

I agree. The fact Gibson believes he is an NBA talent and can demonstrate that somewhere else makes it evident he never got his degree. If he did he would be able to look at the numbers and see it isn’t happening. No one can be that naive... 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4

5 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Yelling and super slow offense.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

If you bleed green then you’d realize what a counterproductive exercise it is to bash our players on the way out. Especially ones who have contributed all conference seasons and helped us win a conference title. It’s a terrible look on us.

I will always call them out on their loyalty. I was even a bit miffed at Woolridge, but his is more understandable and with time I realized that. This is just an entirely absurd situation if he is leaving to play point guard (which he can’t play well) and to reach the nba (which he will never do). In fact it’s a disservice to Mo for anyone to propose this to him or back him in this endeavor. At this point (like a few players on the team) I wouldn’t want him back because he put his ego (which is incredibly misplaced) above the team. I believe loyalty is of the upmost importance and in sports almost always falls on the players. Don’t get me started on watching Jordan in a Wizards jersey or Patrick in a Magic Jersey. 😡

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

8 hours ago, Andrew said:

Lol. A buddy who is a huge OU fan and always down on UNT thought him trying to transfer was pretty fun. He said maybe he needs to get his mental state checked. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Craig Miller?

• Haha 3