Mo Gibson Transferring

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

I voiced one minor, nit-pick concern earlier this year about Mo: that his ball-handing makes me nervous.  Seems like he could easily get pick-pocketed, or lose focus and sloppy.  Whatever it was, I couldn't quite put my finger on it but it was there.

Which begs the question: why does he think he is next level quality at PG? I personally thought his value was at the 2.  Makes me wonder if someone is whispering in his ear.

So disheartening.  A great part of a great team, with future success written all over it, transferring for mysterious reasons and losing a year of eligibility on top of all this.  I'm trying to think of some strangest moves I've seen in Denton over the years.  This one would be right up near the top.

I agree with everything in this post.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Venson said:

Well, Brett Vito's updated DRC article is saying he wanted to play the PG position because he believes that will improve his NBA prospects. That seems to be the reason he is electing to transfer. Unless he is granted a waiver, he will have to sit out a year and will only have one year of eligibility remaining. I don't see the NCAA granting a waiver because you are not getting to play the position you want to play. This is a bad move for Mo. He is going to sit a year and put all of his eggs in a basket that he gets to play PG in a new program and excels enough for the NBA scouts to give him a chance. That is a long shot at best.

Mo’s definitely right that he needs to be a PG to play at the next level at his height. But yeah, why leave to sit out a year when you could stay and play then transfer as a grad transfer next year? That’s the weirdest/dumbest part of this. Unless he somehow is eligible next year.

But if he’s not, that doesn’t help his options. High majors aren’t dying to sign a 6’ shooting guard who has to sit out then only has one season of actual eligibility. Especially when they can get bigger guards who are either eligible right away as grad transfers or guys who have to sit out but then have 2-3 years of eligibility after the sit-out year. Also not sure those schools are going to want to hand over the keys to him at PG when he hasn’t proven himself as a PG at the mid-major level.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

It seems like early in the year we had him at the point and Hamlet at the 2.  We got good when Coach switched them.  It is obvious to anyone watching the games that he can only play the point in spurts.  If Hamlet needed a break or got into foul trouble, he could run the point for a bit.  But, to have him do it for a season is not in the cards.

Why can't winning be enough?  You are an important part of a conference champion and that isn't enough for you?

Oh well, we will win with or without him.

• Upvote 7

8 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Very concerning considering there isn’t a proven backup to slide into that position. Plus we already have unfilled roster spots with little idea who Mac is targeting in recruiting. 

Jackson can handle the ball if needed... probably about as effectively as Mo.  I expect to see a lot more of Jackson next year.  Hope he's ready to step up.

Maybe someone talks Mo off the ledge?   He can still "return" right, since he hasn't actually signed anywhere yet?

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Why do so many think he can't grad transfer?  He redshirted a year and he probably went to summer school, he could easier graduate.  Assuming anyone can in these times. 

Because Brune and Vito have both reported that he isn’t going as a grad transfer and is banking on the NCAA changing the rule to allow first-time transfers with a waiver to change schools without sitting out a year.

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Article/North-TExas-Mean-Green-basketball-guard-umoja-gibson-leaves-north-texas-enters-transfer-portal-145656288/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

The Mean Green had to convince Gibson to stay after his redshirt year as well. Now, Gibson enters the transfer portal with some uncertainty. The NCAA is reviewing a rule change where players could have one free transfer without having to sit out a season. If that happens, Gibson could play next season, if not, he’s going to be sitting out his redshirt junior season.

https://dentonrc.com/sports/mens-basketball-gibson-set-to-transfer-from-unt-is-expected-to-enter-transfer-portal-soon/article_73f4b7de-1ef9-5ae5-91d6-ea41fee7ab62.html

If he transfers, Gibson would have to sit out a season and would have just one year of eligibility remaining, unless he receives a waiver from the NCAA.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

15 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

This is a major and unexpected loss.   I expect this is another example of why I hate this graduate transfer  fiasco. 

Just like Woolridge, I don't care what he does for another team.

Also just like Woolridge, he may not even be missed next year. 

I have faith in McCasland to find a replacement that will upgrade the team. 

Not a graduate transfer, and will have to sit out a year should he transfer to a DI school.  He said he wanted to start at point guard to enhance his NBA chances.  However, we all know who our starting point guard will be.  Whether Mo has NBA talent or not remains to be seen. But, looks like this is the new reality in college sports these days. Mo is no different than probably the vast majority of football and basketball college scholarship players these days. They see the Pro game in their future...not college ball. How do we blame them these days? They have been brought up in a "me first" culture from the time they start playing at 4-5 years old.

Like it or not (and I do not) there just is no sense of "school pride" in many of our college scholarship athletes these days.  They see themselves as "paid employees" and "hired guns" for the most part and have no loyalty to their schools. It just is...it just is and we, as fans, just need to adjust to this new reality. I am no, professional scout for the NBA, but from where I sat last season, I would not expect NBA scouts to be rushing to Mo's games wherever he may land. Professional play may be in his future, but I expect it might be overseas. Yes, he can shoot the three...no doubt, but he does need work at the point guard spot. I do not know the "official" stats, but seems to me that he was good for at least four turnovers every game even with limited, off the bench, playing time. A point guard that turns the ball over is not, just in my opinion, a prime NBA candidate. I like Mo and think he is a good player and would be an even better player for UNT next season. But, as I said, this is the new reality.  Obviously, Mo did not come to UNT to play basketball for UNT, but rather for himself and his NBA ambitions. I do wish him well and hope he finds a spot he likes where he can start at point guard.

This is a new reality for me, and it has me thinking about my level of support for college athletes. While I have always given to both the academic and athletic sides of my schools, this new reality has me thinking that I might need to focus more on students on the academic side of the equation.  It just is what it is...the new reality of college sports.  Too much money beckons from the Pro game and entices these kids to see their futures in the pro game, not getting a good education and preparing for the actual reality of what the vast majority of student-athletes are facing after college.

Good luck Mo. I will miss watching you play. I wish you nothing but the best and hope you fulfill your NBA dreams. 

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

He is not eligible for a grad transfer at this time, I;m not sure as I stated if he could be eligible after this school year. 

Whatever, Mo IMO is not close to a NBA talent.  Maybe some overseas league.  

I wish him the best and thank him for his contributions.  I question his decision, but it is his to make. 

• Upvote 1

All this dialogue but I can't get away from the fact that he has time to change his mind.  Surely someone will talk some sense into him?

I'm also thinking that once these guys make people aware of this kind of intent, the team "bond" is someone lost. So, the idea of "we're in this together" would be kinda faded if he ended up changing his mind.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

They see the Pro game in their future...not college ball. How do we blame them these days? They have been brought up in a "me first" culture from the time they start playing at 4-5 years old.

Like it or not (and I do not) there just is no sense of "school pride" in many of our college scholarship athletes these days.  They see themselves as "paid employees" and "hired guns" for the most part and have no loyalty to their schools. 

This is a new reality for me, and it has me thinking about my level of support for college athletes. While I have always given to both the academic and athletic sides of my schools, this new reality has me thinking that I might need to focus more on students on the academic side of the equation.  It just is what it is...the new reality of college sports.  Too much money beckons from the Pro game and entices these kids to see their futures in the pro game, not getting a good education and preparing for the actual reality of what the vast majority of student-athletes are facing after college.

I am likely reducing my MGSF contribution as well and focusing on academics. I will still have club seats and season tickets and make a contribution that for me is sizable. The NFL and NBA need to create true minor leagues. We need true student athletes. 

Universities, like public schools, need to reduce their bloated administration and in addition need to focus on Majors that truly prepare students for employment in the real world.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

14 hours ago, greenminer said:

I voiced one minor, nit-pick concern earlier this year about Mo: that his ball-handing makes me nervous.  Seems like he could easily get pick-pocketed, or lose focus and sloppy.  Whatever it was, I couldn't quite put my finger on it but it was there.

Which begs the question: why does he think he is next level quality at PG? I personally thought his value was at the 2.  Makes me wonder if someone is whispering in his ear.

So disheartening.  A great part of a great team, with future success written all over it, transferring for mysterious reasons and losing a year of eligibility on top of all this.  I'm trying to think of some strangest moves I've seen in Denton over the years.  This one would be right up near the top.

Yeah I think it’s a really poor and selfish move my Mo. I think he’s an awesome player, but a times down the stretch he wasn’t the same at the 3 ball and turnovers. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Because Brune and Vito have both reported that he isn’t going as a grad transfer and is banking on the NCAA changing the rule to allow first-time transfers with a waiver to change schools without sitting out a year.

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Article/North-TExas-Mean-Green-basketball-guard-umoja-gibson-leaves-north-texas-enters-transfer-portal-145656288/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

The Mean Green had to convince Gibson to stay after his redshirt year as well. Now, Gibson enters the transfer portal with some uncertainty. The NCAA is reviewing a rule change where players could have one free transfer without having to sit out a season. If that happens, Gibson could play next season, if not, he’s going to be sitting out his redshirt junior season.

https://dentonrc.com/sports/mens-basketball-gibson-set-to-transfer-from-unt-is-expected-to-enter-transfer-portal-soon/article_73f4b7de-1ef9-5ae5-91d6-ea41fee7ab62.html

If he transfers, Gibson would have to sit out a season and would have just one year of eligibility remaining, unless he receives a waiver from the NCAA.

43 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

He is not eligible for a grad transfer at this time, I;m not sure as I stated if he could be eligible after this school year. 

Whatever, Mo IMO is not close to a NBA talent.  Maybe some overseas league.  

I wish him the best and thank him for his contributions.  I question his decision, but it is his to make. 

Are y'all his academic advisors?   How do y'all know this?

There is no mention in those articles that he has not completed his coursework to graduate.  Just assumptions.  It's not out of the realm for a player to complete their degrees in 3 years.. especially if taking summer-school & Maymester classes.

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Are y'all his academic advisors?   How do y'all know this?

There is no mention in those articles that he has not completed his coursework to graduate.  Just assumptions.  It's not out of the realm for a player to complete their degrees in 3 years.. especially if taking summer-school & Maymester classes.

nba playoffs GIF by Bleacher Report

Chill, John! I ain’t worth it!

But seriously, I think this is a pretty important detail and both reports are sourced. If he was going as a grad transfer that should have been basically the number one detail Brett and Brune would ask about. When Jeremy Combs transferred after 3 years Brett was reporting that he’d be going out as a grad transfer about as soon as he was able to get sources on the transfer. I’m giving them the credit in this case that they wouldn’t source the info and say he will have to sit out a year without actually asking if he would be going as a grad transfer.

Also, the first person to report this was Jeff Goodman. The most likely reason he got the scoop here over the guys who cover UNT is because someone wanted to get his transfer as much exposure as possible. When someone is grad transferring, he’ll say it in his tweet.

Maybe whoever leaked it left out that incredibly important detail, or maybe Mo is feverishly trying to graduate before his scholarship for the academic year expires. But three reports and zero mentioning he is going as a grad transfer is pretty strong evidence imo. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

nba playoffs GIF by Bleacher Report

Chill, John! I ain’t worth it!

But seriously, I think this is a pretty important detail and both reports are sourced. If he was going as a grad transfer that should have been basically the number one detail Brett and Brune would ask about. When Jeremy Combs transferred after 3 years Brett was reporting that he’d be going out as a grad transfer about as soon as he was able to get sources on the transfer. I’m giving them the credit in this case that they wouldn’t source the info and say he will have to sit out a year without actually asking if he would be going as a grad transfer.

Also, the first person to report this was Jeff Goodman. The most likely reason he got the scoop here over the guys who cover UNT is because someone wanted to get his transfer as much exposure as possible. When someone is grad transferring, he’ll say it in his tweet.

Maybe whoever leaked it left out that incredibly important detail, or maybe Mo is feverishly trying to graduate before his scholarship for the academic year expires. But three reports and zero mentioning he is going as a grad transfer is pretty strong evidence imo. 

image.png

I'm still in the bargaining phase.  This would be a huge hit to our offense if he leaves.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Can the new recruit from Houston play the two spot? I was thinking he will be more of a 3 in this offense 

Yes. He’s a combo guard, so he would fit as that secondary ball handler on the court like Mo was. I’m very high on his game but don’t want to unfairly hype him up. But I will say, as a prospect he is as good a guard prospect as we have signed since Chris Jones. 

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

Just now, untjim1995 said:

Maybe the kid wants to play in front of bigger crowds? Or maybe he just doesn’t like  McCasland? There are a lot of reasons these kids transfer and to be honest, the power teams set this up as there backup for not having to develop kids for 4 years anymore.

Anything is possible, but the concern is Mac has now lost two of his top players in consecutive seasons with Ryan leaving for Gonzaga last year.   This one hurts.  Mo had two more years to terrorize opponents..

16 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Maybe the kid wants to play in front of bigger crowds? Or maybe he just doesn’t like  McCasland? There are a lot of reasons these kids transfer and to be honest, the power teams set this up as there backup for not having to develop kids for 4 years anymore.

Anything is possible, but according to BV someone close to the situation says that he wants to play PG to improve his chances of playing in the NBA. I am thinking he did not see himself getting to play PG here much.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

Anything is possible, but the concern is Mac has now lost two of his top players in consecutive seasons with Ryan leaving for Gonzaga last year.   This one hurts.  Mo had two more years to terrorize opponents..

Ryan left as a graduate transfer though. That's different. Mo is leaving and will have to sit out a year if he is not given a waiver. Ryan did not have to sit. Plus, Ryan had already proven he could play PG at this level. He couldn't hit a FT to save his life, but he could play the 1.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Harry said:

I personally never considered Ryan's departure reason for concern.

I don't find Mo's decision concerning, per se, just so very very odd.

• Upvote 1