Mo Gibson Transferring

6 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Good luck riding the bench on a losing team somewhere Mo. cya later!

Get outta here with that mess

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

He also already redshirted so how is this going to work for him? 

Maybe he is graduating in three years and going somewhere else as a grad transfer. Otherwise, yeah he’d have to sit next year and would only have one season of eligibility left. If he’s not a grad transfer that’s definitely a head-scratching decision.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Get outta here with that mess

Maybe he is graduating in three years and going somewhere else as a grad transfer. Otherwise, yeah he’d have to sit next year and would only have one season of eligibility left. If he’s not a grad transfer that’s definitely a head-scratching decision.

I had no problem with Ryan leaving, but Mo doesn’t even have half the ability he had and is coming off a mediocre season. I expected him to come off our bench next season. If he doesn’t want to accept that and be loyal then I have no problem watching him sit on the bench so where else and let someone who wants to win come in. We are winners. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 7

3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I had no problem with Ryan leaving, but Mo doesn’t even have half the ability he had and is coming off a mediocre season. I expected him to come off our bench next season. If he doesn’t want to accept that and be loyal then I have no problem watching him sit on the bench so where else and let someone who wants to win come in. We are winners. 

His season was mediocre in what aspect? What metric substantiates that claim?

• Upvote 3

This is a major and unexpected loss.   I expect this is another example of why I hate this graduate transfer  fiasco. 

Just like Woolridge, I don't care what he does for another team.

Also just like Woolridge, he may not even be missed next year. 

I have faith in McCasland to find a replacement that will upgrade the team. 

• Upvote 7
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

46 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

His season was mediocre in what aspect? What metric substantiates that claim?

His shooting didn’t really improve, he turned over the ball more, and his defense was incredibly poor at times. All you had to do was watch the games. I would have preferred he stay because it’s still going to be difficult to replace guys and he had 2 years of eligibility left. He also could have lit it up from deep off the bench. He had potential. He should have come off the bench this year with Bell starting and I assume he would have come off the bench next season with Bell returning and the hopeful acquisition of a solid big to put beside Simmons. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 4

17 minutes ago, Andrew said:

His shooting didn’t really improve, he turned over the ball more, and his defense was incredibly poor at times. All you had to do was watch the games.

Come on, Mo. Only staying a 40% three-point shooter (with the three point lines moved back)? Gotta pick that up. 

I knew we would come back to this place. The galaxy brain spot where watching the games is all it takes to reveal that a player voted 2nd-team all conference by media and coaches, who apparently don’t watch the games, was actually mediocre. How many players were above mediocre in CUSA then? 8?

I would have preferred he stay because it’s still going to be difficult to replace guys and he had 2 years of eligibility left. He also could have lit it up from deep off the bench. He had potential. He should have come off the bench this year with Bell starting and I assume he would have come off the bench next season with Bell returning and the hopeful acquisition of a solid big to put beside Simmons. 

Why would Bell push Gibson out of the starting lineup? Bell played the 4 all season. And somehow you still seem to hope Mccasland goes old school 80s ball and puts two traditional bigs on the court, when he has shown for three seasons (here, more including his other stops) that that’s not his style. 

• Upvote 5

I don't understand this move. Maybe he thought he was no longer going to start with the way Bell came on as the season went on as he learned what Coach McCasland wanted to do. Still, I think it hurts because even if he was coming off the bench, that is hard production to replace. I am not the most knowledgeable basketball person, but I am shocked at this.

• Ray 2

His shooting didn’t really improve, he turned over the ball more, and his defense was incredibly poor at times. All you had to do was watch the games. I would have preferred he stay because it’s still going to be difficult to replace guys and he had 2 years of eligibility left. He also could have lit it up from deep off the bench. He had potential. He should have come off the bench this year with Bell starting and I assume he would have come off the bench next season with Bell returning and the hopeful acquisition of a solid big to put beside Simmons. 

Exactly what metric are you using to grade him by?!? Also, Mo had seven more turnover for 2019-20 (76 total) versus 69 turnovers for 2018-19. 

2019-20 - 451
That's an 8% increase YoY considering he played 14 fewer minutes and 2 fewer games (2018-19 - 33 games vs. 2019-20 - 31 games).

Points per Minute
2018-19 - .43/minute
2019-20 - .48/minute

Avg Points per Game
2018-19 - 12.6
2019-20 - 14.5
That's a 15.1% increase YoY.

Field Goal Percent
2018-19 - 40%
2019-20 - 41.2%

3-Ptr FG %
2018-19 - 39.3%
2019-20 - 39.4%

Free Throw %
2018-19 - 80%
2019-20 - 84.5%

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Come on, Mo. Only staying a 40% three-point shooter (with the three point lines moved back)? Gotta pick that up. 

I knew we would come back to this place. The galaxy brain spot where watching the games is all it takes to reveal that a player voted 2nd-team all conference by media and coaches, who apparently don’t watch the games, was actually mediocre. How many players were above mediocre in CUSA then? 8?

Why would Bell push Gibson out of the starting lineup? Bell played the 4 all season. And somehow you still seem to hope Mccasland goes old school 80s ball and puts two traditional bigs on the court, when he has shown for three seasons (here, more including his other stops) that that’s not his style. 

80s? That continued well through the 90s and early 2000s. 

There were points in games he seemed disinterested. Didn’t huddle with the team at the line, walked right past Mac trying to talk to him on the way to the bench. I missed Woolridge. Though losing Mo will be tough, I am enjoying watching Reese and Hamlet play. I will be the first to admit I wasn’t that high on Hamlet when the season started. I really enjoyed watching Woolridge play, but Hamlet proved he could more than fill his shoes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, Andrew said:

80s? That continued well through the 90s and early 2000s. 

Does that mean it’s not 80s ball because it continued past that? That’s rhetorical. You don’t have to respond to that.

5 minutes ago, Andrew said:

There were points in games he seemed disinterested. Didn’t huddle with the team at the line, walked right past Mac trying to talk to him on the way to the bench. I missed Woolridge. Though losing Mo will be tough, I am enjoying watching Reese and Hamlet play. I will be the first to admit I wasn’t that high on Hamlet when the season started. I really enjoyed watching Woolridge play, but Hamlet proved he could more than fill his shoes. 

Words have meanings. Mediocre means moderate or low quality. There are about 200 basketball players in CUSA. 10 of those 200 were named to the 1st or 2nd all conference teams. Roughly 5% of the conference. 

Top 5% is not moderate or low quality. The flaws you pointed out prove more why he wasn’t 1st team than they prove he was mediocre. All the other superfluous misdirection doesn’t change how ridiculous it is to say he had a mediocre season.

• Upvote 2

Well, Brett Vito's updated DRC article is saying he wanted to play the PG position because he believes that will improve his NBA prospects. That seems to be the reason he is electing to transfer. Unless he is granted a waiver, he will have to sit out a year and will only have one year of eligibility remaining. I don't see the NCAA granting a waiver because you are not getting to play the position you want to play. This is a bad move for Mo. He is going to sit a year and put all of his eggs in a basket that he gets to play PG in a new program and excels enough for the NBA scouts to give him a chance. That is a long shot at best.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1