UNT FB 2020 Position Group Breakdowns: Running Backs

Harry

DENTON – Running back is a position of depth for the Mean Green and the room is led by former Mean Green great and former NFL running back Patrick Cobbs, who enters year two as the group's position coach. We take a deep dive into the running back position in this edition of position group breakdowns.

"I have a good and versatile group of backs," Cobbs said. "They all have their own set of skills and competition will be very high. Each and every one of them welcome that challenge. I'm ready to see who is ready to take it to the next level. Our standards are really high and we have plenty of room for improvement and growth left to do."  

Outgoing:
Only one primary fixture from the backfield graduated from last season's team – Loren Easly, who returned in 2019 from a knee injury suffered midway through the previous season. Easly carried 55 times for 243 yards and a touchdown and also caught a pair of passes for 26 yards in 2019. Easly's two-season tenure in Denton following his transfer from Stephen F. Austin saw him carry 129 times for 629 yards and five scores and also haul in six passes for 84 yards in 11 appearances.

In addition to Easly's departure following the 2019 season, walk-on KJ Williams decided to leave the program.

New Faces:
There are just two new names in the running backs room, one of which is already on campus and another who will join the program in the fall.

#36 Caleb Osuofa – junior – Denton, Texas (Southern Nazarene)
Osuofa joins the Mean Green following his transfer from Southern Nazarene. He measures at 5'8" and 165 pounds and appeared in eight games in 2019 for the Storm at defensive back, recording a pair of tackles. Osuofa played at Denton High School, where he was an All-District First Team selection as a senior and DISD honorable mention selection as a junior. He also played basketball for three seasons and ran track for two.

Isaiah Johnson – freshman (arriving in the fall) – Lubbock, Texas (Cooper HS)
Johnson will join the program in the fall and was rated a three-star prospect according to 247Sports and ESPN. Johnson, a top-200 player in the state of Texas, was a key component of the top recruiting class in Conference USA according to 247Sports. He ran for 1,322 yards and scored 23 total touchdowns during his senior season for Lubbock Cooper, helping lead them to the UIL Class 5A Division II semifinals. As a junior in 2018, Johnson accumulated 1,296 rushing yards and 27 touchdowns. Measuring at 6'0" and 200 pounds, Johnson brings some size and speed to an already deep group.

Returners:
#15 Tre Siggers – redshirt junior – Duncanville, Texas (Duncanville HS)
Siggers burst onto the scene for the Mean Green after switching positions (for the second time) from safety back to running back. He finished 2019 as the team's leading rusher, carrying 158 times for 853 yards and six touchdowns while also catching 11 passes for 60 yards in 10 appearances. Siggers was an all-conference honorable mention selection by the 14 C-USA head coaches and ranked second in the conference in yards per carry (5.61) and fifth in rushing yards per game (85.3).

Siggers added a very physical presence to the Mean Green at the position, routinely running through tackles and getting yards after contact.

"[As a group] we feed off each other, but we have a whole lot more work to do and we are going to continue to get ready for this upcoming season. All I want to do is win this university a conference championship."

Read more:  https://meangreensports.com/news/2020/4/2/position-group-breakdowns-running-backs.aspx

7 minutes ago, UNT 04 said:

Is our Arkansas rb not here anymore? OSCAR ADAWAY

Covered in the article:

#27 Oscar Adaway III – redshirt freshman – North Little Rock, Arkansas (North Little Rock HS)
Adaway was a highly-touted recruit in the 2019 signing class, coming in as a three-star prospect according to 247Sports (which ranked him as the 69th best running back in the country) and ESPN (who ranked ninth in the state). He redshirted last season, appearing in just three games as a true freshman. He carried four times for 42 yards during his collegiate debut on 11/2 against UTEP. Adaway carried 139 times for 953 yards and 12 touchdowns, while hauling in 42 passes for 656 yards and six more scores as a senior at North Little Rock High School. Adaway, like Siggers, has a punishing running style, but has a little more size, measuring in at 6'0" and 215 pounds.

"The running back group is very similar to last year's and we have the same chemistry together. We lost one soldier, Loren Easly, but we are getting a talented high school back in Isaiah [Johnson]. I think it's going to be a real fun year for this group. Last year we slumped, going 4-8, so I'm looking forward to us [getting back to] winning in 2020. I didn't participate as much [in 2019], but I still felt like I was on that field with my brothers."

• Upvote 2