Why don't we play SMU

On 3/31/2020 at 9:19 PM, greenminer said:

Depending on where our trajectories are, one school will typically cry bloody murder at the thought of losing to the other.  In the interest of preserving their position/perception.

This is probably accurate, TBH. 

But we find ourselves on the other end of it when it comes to scheduling anyone but TCU.  UT hasn't played us in a major sport since they left for the Big XII.  I've advocated playing a basketball tournament at the beginning of each season featuring the eight Texas schools from the SWC playing in Dallas or Houston or on rotation, but good luck with something like that happening, and for the same reason. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SMUleopold said:

This is probably accurate, TBH. 

But we find ourselves on the other end of it when it comes to scheduling anyone but TCU.  UT hasn't played us in a major sport since they left for the Big XII.  I've advocated playing a basketball tournament at the beginning of each season featuring the eight Texas schools from the SWC playing in Dallas or Houston or on rotation, but good luck with something like that happening, and for the same reason. 

So do you think us playing y’all every year could be a good thing and should happen?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

SMU and TCU get nothing from scheduling us or UTA right now. They lose and it kills their status. They win and its treated as ho-hum.

Personally, I like playing the Oklahoma schools--UTA and us have both hosted OU and we have hosted OSU and Tulsa many times. 

Really? I mean our RPI was 71, SMU 89, and TCU was 119.  I don’t think that hurts them. 

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

So do you think us playing y’all every year could be a good thing and should happen?

I'm not necessarily against it as a number of people have already spelled out it's risks and why a coach or AD would stay away, but let's just say I got sick of seeing the Paul Quinn's and Oral Roberts on the schedule years ago.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/17/2020 at 3:32 PM, MrAlien said:

would an OOC game against SMU or TCU really be an attendance draw (home or away)?  consider the time of year with football at its peak, thanksgiving, finals, winter break. 

I don't get your point.  

Obviously, a game against SMU or TCU would draw much more than most oc games. Such a game would probably be the highest attended of the year unless NT is playing for a conference championship late in the season. 

The highest attended games I have ever attended at Denton were against SMU and UT.   Last years WKU is up there too. 

Low attendance for oc games is a self-fulfilling prophecy as most teams schedule wins not challenges. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't get your point.  

Obviously, a game against SMU or TCU would draw much more than most oc games. Such a game would probably be the highest attended of the year unless NT is playing for a conference championship late in the season. 

The highest attended games I have ever attended at Denton were against SMU and UT.   Last years WKU is up there too. 

Low attendance for oc games is a self-fulfilling prophecy as most teams schedule wins not challenges. 

scheduling wins vs challenges, in this scenario I think SMU and UNT not being in top conferences need to seek challenges in OOC schedule (in addition to a couple easy wins) and that sort of negates the need to play each other. 

as far as attendance, will away fans make the 45 min trip?  will home students show up?  I still think a lot will depend on timing (day of the week, time of day, part of the semester)

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

On 4/20/2020 at 10:52 AM, UNTLifer said:

I disagree. The AAC playing the top of CUSA isn’t going to hurt them, or TCU for that matter. Us playing the likes of smuT, Houston, Memphis, etc... from the AAC is better than playing Panhandle State. 

I didnt say it would hurt them, but what would either school have to gain?  playing Memphis or Houston, would get peoples attention, possibly even on TV, and an opportunity to turn some heads on a national scale. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t remember our games at UTA being all that well attended.  Memory is fuzzy, so please correct me.  I, personally, never made the drive down and I don’t remember seeing a ton of green in their stands on tv.

I care less about playing the local schools in basketball than I do in football.  Football recruiting tends to be more competitive against each other as the sheer volume of players you’re bringing in means that most are coming from the area.  We don’t appear to be laser focused on signing only DFW area players under Mac.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I don’t remember our games at UTA being all that well attended.  Memory is fuzzy, so please correct me.  I, personally, never made the drive down and I don’t remember seeing a ton of green in their stands on tv.

I care less about playing the local schools in basketball than I do in football.  Football recruiting tends to be more competitive against each other as the sheer volume of players you’re bringing in means that most are coming from the area.  We don’t appear to be laser focused on signing only DFW area players under Mac.

I mean last year it was a Monday night, but we still had a solid turnout. Idk it’s just how you look at it