Why don't we play SMU

This is a legit question I've had many many years, but joined GMG last August and forgot to ask.

Why don't we play SMU in Men's Basketball? I mean the last time we played them was in 02, but I don't understand why Wren or god forbid the SMU AD to try to schedule a series! I mean attendance would be great, TV is a maybe, the players would probably like it. I mean it just doesn't make sense.

Is SMU scared?

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3

"Attendance would be good."

I lol'd.  Then I realized, you're speaking of the increase in UNT fans.  That's true.  That's okay.

Pony fans will explain how they have no interest in UNT but, if you've ever been to a SMU event, you can see they have no interest in SMU athletics vs anyone.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

"Attendance would be good."

I lol'd.  Then I realized, you're speaking of the increase in UNT fans.  That's true.  That's okay.

Pony fans will explain how they have no interest in UNT but, if you've ever been to a SMU event, you can see they have no interest in SMU athletics vs anyone.

Yeah SMU fans are not very supportive 😂 I just want a series because it would draw interest.

Also what would it hurt to play us yearly? 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Also what would it hurt to play us yearly? 

Tons of schools are trying to put themselves into optimal position for the next conference shake up (or NCAA breakup)

Depending on where our trajectories are, one school will typically cry bloody murder at the thought of losing to the other.  In the interest of preserving their position/perception.

With TCU and SMU they would have more to lose (prestige) and the angry fans that think playing North Texas is beneath them, is probably more of a headache than the ADs want to deal with. Double that anger if North Texas wins and the AD of those schools looks like an idiot for scheduling it. They’re not scared they just don’t give a f**k. 

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

With TCU and SMU they would have more to lose (prestige) and the angry fans that think playing North Texas is beneath them, is probably more of a headache than the ADs want to deal with. Double that anger if North Texas wins and the AD of those schools looks like an idiot for scheduling it. They’re not scared they just don’t give a f**k. 

You list all the reasons they don't play because they are scared than say they are not scared. 

SMU scheduled NT in football for two reasons.   They thought it would be an easy win and they needed a crowd.

The need for basketball attendance is not as critical. 

Both schools despite what they say, see NT as a threat that could ellipse them as being the premier athletic program in the metroplex.  Even TCU with their P5 conference affiliation don't want to give a state school  any edge in the area. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

you’re talking about football and I’m talking about basketball, so staying with basketball no they don’t care, they don’t have a reason to care and fans being pissed about scheduling a perceived lower tier school does not make an AD or a school scared to schedule us. They have the “brand” and “prestige” and they’re not going to use that clout to help this basketball program until we win so much they can’t ignore us.  

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

you’re talking about football and I’m talking about basketball, so staying with basketball no they don’t care, they don’t have a reason to care and fans being pissed about scheduling a perceived lower tier school does not make an AD or a school scared to schedule us. They have the “brand” and “prestige” and they’re not going to use that clout to help this basketball program until we win so much they can’t ignore us.  

Brand and prestige??  We are still talking about SMU, right?  😆😆

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Yes, SMU's oc schedule in MBB spells out willingness to play anyone anytime.  GA. St., Jax St, New Orleans, Jackson St, Hartford, ACC, NW St and somehow Georgetown.  Believe me their fans are not going to revolt by playing in your parlance, a lower tier school.  

Why do you think NT should be considered a lower tier school to SMU?  In what other than price?

Brand and Prestige, this is not in the forties.  

Forget scare, they believe it is in their long term interest to limit NT prominence in the DFW area as much as possible.  I don't fault the strategy, but most should recognize that has gone on for decades. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

On 4/1/2020 at 9:50 PM, emmitt01 said:

Brand and prestige??  We are still talking about SMU, right?  😆😆

Hey I bleed green just like everyone else but let’s not go down this road, it’ll be embarrassing.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 4/1/2020 at 11:00 PM, GrandGreen said:

Yes, SMU's oc schedule in MBB spells out willingness to play anyone anytime.  GA. St., Jax St, New Orleans, Jackson St, Hartford, ACC, NW St and somehow Georgetown.  Believe me their fans are not going to revolt by playing in your parlance, a lower tier school.  

Why do you think NT should be considered a lower tier school to SMU?  In what other than price?

Brand and Prestige, this is not in the forties.  

Forget scare, they believe it is in their long term interest to limit NT prominence in the DFW area as much as possible.  I don't fault the strategy, but most should recognize that has gone on for decades. 

Absolutely. They want to keep us down at every turn. Playing North Texas in basketball would only cement the perception even more that this is a legitimate rivalry. I’m not going to split hairs on whether or not they’re “scared” to play is but I will agree with you that they and I’ll add TCU will do whatever it takes to keep their pieces of the pie. One has Ft. Worth the other Dallas. 

• Upvote 2

I dont think there is a lot to be gained playing SMU or TCU, I cant see ether school really bringing in a high attendance, though with TCU being in the Big 12 there is always a possibility of a better TV network showing the game.  But we are talking about a non conference game, early in the season when most fans are still focused on football.  I liked the non conference schedule UNT had this past season, it was tough but look how the team responded when conference started. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

I would be happy to never again see a made to get to 20 wins schedule. I loved this last OOC even with the losses it was the right level of challenge for a team wanting to win its conference. I was definitely frustrated with not pulling out a few Ws in those tough games but it all worked out. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I would love to see an early season Metroplex Madness bball tournament with TCU, SMU, UTA, and North Texas.  I've wondered for years why they don't do this.  It would absolutely increase fan participation, and might even help keep some of the local high school talent from leaving the DFW area. 

I agree, TCU and SMU both want to keep us down, but if they're that chickenshit afraid of a little local competition, then they should give up the scholarships, drop out of NCAA D1 and join the NAIA! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

In the past one of the stumbling blocks about a four team tournamen with rotating venues has been UTA.  Their old court, played on a stage,  was something everyone wanted to avoid.  Now, each school has a good home court facility.  So, let the games begin...even though they never will.

• Upvote 1

if they really wanted a tournament with the 4 Local teams, then they could do it at a neutral location such as the Star or Dickies arena... though to make it worthwhile, they would probably need to invite 4 additional schools from outside the market that do not conflict with anyone's conference schedule.        

• Skeptical Eagle 1